Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start.... hmmmm... Well, basically it boils down to Jake is afraid of my son Christopher. He has no agression toward him and no desire to bite him. What happens is that he doesn't want to be around him. When I ask C to take J out, he runs to me. If I ask C to feed him, J runs to me. If C comes near him, J curls around my legs.

Now, J LOVES children. When we went to the soccer games, Jake would wiggle himself into a lather until a child would come up to him. He would then lay down and immediately roll over, tail wagging and thopping on what ever it was hitting. If it is a child in a stroller, he is calm and puts his head down on the side and smiles while the baby pulls his ears and pokes him. Older children get licks in the face and body hugs.

Christopher... no way.

I am home with Christopher and Jake 98% of the time. There have been times that I have heard him yelling at Jake if he is in the trash or going over the counters. I have asked C never to discipline Jake again. I have also told him that he is not to attempt to ask him to do a trick or even play with him. He is to simply sit with him and pet him until things get better.

Any other ideas to help fix this situation?

Christopher is a very kind and goofy child. He does struggle with ADHD. He is impulsive, jumpy and unpredictable at times. He is a good kid and genuinely loves Jake. He is very sad that Jake doesn't want anything to do with him. I want to help this get fixed. I want him to know the joys of being with a wonderful creature that is there regardless of what you do.

Please help?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would have Chria give Jake treats when he sits nect to him. Some kind of special treat that Jake LOVES but no one else is to give him that SPECIAL treat. Do that every day for a few weeks in a row. Might help. Good Luck, I know how sad and frustrating this must be for Chris

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I was going to suggest a special treat too. Something that only Chris can give Jake. So they will be getting a bond. Slowly bring in playing with a toy between the two of them.

·
i lub alda mi prens
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will give that a shot :) I know he really wants to play with him and I hope this will work for him. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts