Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Jackson is now 14 weeks old and still having a bad case of the itchies. We are feeding him Chicken SouP for the Puppy Lovers Soul, and giving him Puppy vitamins that have Omega 3's and Fish oil. Still very very itchy, he got a bath this morning with Oatmeal shampoo for skin issues, hopefully it will help some. I'm thinking about try Benedryl as a temporary measure. And maybe a food change. Our last Golden Daisy was on Iams but suffered from Chronic Ear issues. I didn't realize it could have been related to the corn meal in the food. We are trying to stay away from corn, which was the reason to feed jackson this. Anyone have any suggestions for me. I had a friend that recommended giving him Biotin, it worked for his lab.

He wasn't real happy about a bath in the kitchen sink, I should have known better, next time it will be the tub.

Here he is after drying off, none the worse for the experience. It took longer to clean up the kitchen than it did for the bath.

Bob

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I love that look on his face. What a cutie. Bentley had bad itchies too. We tried everything and honestly once I took chicken out of his diet, problem solved. He still gets baths weekly though because he seems to be a bit itchy if he's dirty and I have horrible allergies. I know every puppy is different but if you are going to change his food maybe try a different protein. Good luck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are seriously considering the change of diet, I'm thinking that TOTW might be a good choice. We changed his food from Purina the breeder had him on to the current Chicken Soup, large brred puppy figuring it would be better for him. The vet put him on a vitamin with omega 3's and I'm also giving him 1 fish oil pill a day. I figure if it's OK for me it should be alright to give him

I hate to see him itching all the time and he definitly doesn't have fleas. I'd prefer not to use Benedryl.

Bob

I love that look on his face. What a cutie. Bentley had bad itchies too. We tried everything and honestly once I took chicken out of his diet, problem solved. He still gets baths weekly though because he seems to be a bit itchy if he's dirty and I have horrible allergies. I know every puppy is different but if you are going to change his food maybe try a different protein. Good luck.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
Try feeding him something with NO chicken in it. My boy had what looked like hives all over..he was scratching constantly..finally scratched a hotspot/hole into his face. He had an ear infection too..sooo. I took him to the vet. The vet said he was "allergic to chicken." I started feeding ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach which is a salmon formula. No trouble since, thank goodness! That's just my personal experience.

I hope you can figure what what's going on!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We feed TOTW Pacific Stream. It's helped everything. No itching, no loose stools and he loves it. Just be aware that every TOTW except the Pacific Stream has chicken in it, if that is what you decide to try.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maple was allergic to chicken as well would itch and chew at her paws we had her on acana lamb and apple and then origen red and now raw which she is very happy about lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of trying the Pacific Stream, but is it OK for a puppy or do I need to look at something else?

bob

We feed TOTW Pacific Stream. It's helped everything. No itching, no loose stools and he loves it. Just be aware that every TOTW except the Pacific Stream has chicken in it, if that is what you decide to try.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
Tractor Supply carries TOTW. It's on sale a lot of times. I tried feeding it, but it led to loose stools :/ no bueno.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Well Jackson is now 14 weeks old and still having a bad case of the itchies. We are feeding him Chicken SouP for the Puppy Lovers Soul, and giving him Puppy vitamins that have Omega 3's and Fish oil. Still very very itchy, he got a bath this morning with Oatmeal shampoo for skin issues, hopefully it will help some. I'm thinking about try Benedryl as a temporary measure. And maybe a food change. Our last Golden Daisy was on Iams but suffered from Chronic Ear issues. I didn't realize it could have been related to the corn meal in the food. We are trying to stay away from corn, which was the reason to feed jackson this. Anyone have any suggestions for me. I had a friend that recommended giving him Biotin, it worked for his lab.

He wasn't real happy about a bath in the kitchen sink, I should have known better, next time it will be the tub.

Here he is after drying off, none the worse for the experience. It took longer to clean up the kitchen than it did for the bath.

Bob
The look on his face tells me very clearly what he thought about his bath and having his picture taken!

I say try the benadryl. Keep an eye on him to watch his reaction to it the first time you give it. But it's a pretty innocuous med and it might help the itchies go away.

·
Premium Member
18,397 Posts
Apparently the local Petsmart doesn't carry TOTW.

I'll have to find a local store that carrys it tomorrow. It looks like TSC has it.
Yeah, the big box retail stores won't carry it. Feed stores, boutique pet stores, and some delivery services will have it.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I hope he does well on the new food - he is a doll!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Another food option is Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Formulas like Venison and Sweet Potato and Fish and Sweet Potato. We just switched Ozzy to these and his skin issues got immediately better. Once I feel he's completely recovered I will try adding items back in to see if I can pin point what was causing the problem.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I was able to get the Taste of the Wild High Prairie Puppy Dry Dog Food at TSC, the local stores didn't carry the Pacific versions in puppy food. Looks like the omega 3 and 6 levels are the same.

We also are trying Benedryl for when he is really itchy. Hopefully we seen an improvement over the next few weeks!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts