Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Iverhart Plus Recall

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Penny & Maggie's Mom 
#1 ·
The new Whole Dog Journal has an article about a recall of two lots of Iverhart Plus. It is for the large size (51-100 lbs), and evidently does not contain enough medication, so there is a possibility of dogs contracting heartworms even while on the med. Here is an article which gives the lot numbers for anyone using this product. http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=13680 (BTW, this isn't the WDJ since you can't copy them but a news article)

#3 ·
I am using IverhartPlus right now - dont have those particular lots.

However even with those lots the way I understand it...there would only be a problem if you were relying on one dose to keep an 85 pound dog heart worm free for 6 months.... All of my dogs are waaay under 85 pounds and are treated monthly...even if I had the lots I would not be concerned.

From the cited article:
"The company (Virbac) is picking up the tab for additional heartworm tests for dogs weighing 75 pounds or more. Those tests should be conducted within six months of a dog’s last Iverhart Plus dose, Youngblood says."

#5 ·
I read it as the package (of 6 tabs) did not contain enough medication for 6 months protection. Shoot, if one pill protected for 6 months, we'd only need to give them 2 pills a year.:confused::confused::confused: Anyone having the affected lots can exchange them for new.

I am using IverhartPlus right now - dont have those particular lots.

However even with those lots the way I understand it...there would only be a problem if you were relying on one dose to keep an 85 pound dog heart worm free for 6 months.... All of my dogs are waaay under 85 pounds and are treated monthly...even if I had the lots I would not be concerned.

From the cited article:
"The company (Virbac) is picking up the tab for additional heartworm tests for dogs weighing 75 pounds or more. Those tests should be conducted within six months of a dog’s last Iverhart Plus dose, Youngblood says."

#7 ·
The potency for a 51 pound dog would be different then for a 100 pound ...so they have to come up with an average acceptable potency that will allow for dogs on the heavier end of the scale to still have effect treatment.

If that assumption is correct...sure does make one wonder if so much is really necessary....especially if you have a 50 pound dog.

I called Virbac and left a message...hope I get a call back. My curiosity is getting the better of me! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.