Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tessie's Mom
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tessie is almost eight months old. She is shedding way too much, and her hair is everywhere! I do not have carpet, and I don't know if this is a blessing or not. The hair is flowing all over the house. I bathe her, brush her, and I even vacuum her (she likes this BTW).

Is all of this shedding normal in the winter time? I could understand it in the spring/summer, but not as cold as it is. She lives inside the house with us, but she does use her doggie door and play outside in the cold.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't know where you are located but I'm in SW Ohio and our crazy weather, 60F last week and 17F last night has Hank shedding like crazy.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Beamer was shedding like crazy about that time (8 months old). Must be a phase or something they go through with their coats.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
moose is almost 8 months now.. and he is shedding like crazy! from on this forum i was realized that he is in the process of getting his "big boy" coat. i vacuum pretty much everyday (we don't have carpets, i have a mini shop vac thats perfect) and i swear from just vacumming this week inside is enough fur to make a new dog lol..

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
i remember Saya shedding a lot at 8 months. i honestly thought she was going bald >.< sorry but the shedding made me think so lol i had dog hair everywhere cleaning up was really troublesome. it kinda stopped later and she had a new coat :D

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Once or twice a year they go through a process of "blowing coat". You can actually pull the fur off with your hands.

A bath, surgery will also sometimes bring it on.

It is totally normal, and there are days that you will be able to fill a grocery bag with it. Some years are also worse than others, and I think some dogs are worst than others. My MacKenzie has never blown coat - her fur is very thin the begin with, Brady is triple coated, and it can get pretty bad. He was blowing coat mid-December, but I brought him in to be groomed and that seemed to have taken care of most of it.

I usually through the fur outside for the birds and squirrels to make a warm nest.

I have had carpetted floors and hardwood - and yes, hardwood makes it seem worse - you will actually get tumble weeds on the wood floors.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This seems to be common around 7-8months from all I have read on the forum. We had the same concern and when I joined I discovered it . Certainly made us feel better as I was worried something was wrong. We have a tape roller in every room, car my office etc;!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes Molly is shedding her coat too, she is 10 months. I call it tumble weed in the house, the poor vaccume cleaner has to be emptied several times a week due to all the hair. I brush her often and get heaps out of the brush too. I'm using a rake comb which seems to get a lot out, then a slicker brush after which gets yet more hair out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Get the ferminator guys! Its great! I use the small kitty one at the moment, as Gabbar is just 3.5 months old. But there is a big one for long hair dogs that I bought for when he is bigger and has a big boy proper coat.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Yep, that sounds about right! Fur everywhere! Haha I think that at some point you get used to it!

·
Chloe's Mom
168 Posts
Chloe had TUNS of hair flying around. I'm glad I have carpet. I do have ceramic tile in the kitchen and can see it all over the place. I have to vacumm all the time, wouldn't trade it in the world.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Get the ferminator guys! Its great! I use the small kitty one at the moment, as Gabbar is just 3.5 months old. But there is a big one for long hair dogs that I bought for when he is bigger and has a big boy proper coat.
Use the furminator with care. My one cat's coat got damaged from it. Both my mom and I were brushing her with it and did not know the other was using it regularly.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
My groomer hates the furminator, and you'll see that a lot of people on this board do as well. It apparently can ruin the coat badly.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
At Petsmarts groomer we saw a golden who the family had been using a furminator on. The poor girl looked like they had let a 4 yr old cut her hair off with scissors. The groomer was trying to thin around to at least even the coat. She had no guard hair left, just undercoat thin to the skin in places. Really bad and I felt so sorry for the dog with our Texas heat.

I know I am a klutz, so a furminator is NOT in our plans...Ever!

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I got something called a PawMonster for Max, to wipe his paws - it looks sort of like a Swiffer Duster, he thinks it's great fun to chew. I told my groomer, "I got this great new thing for Max!" She gave me the hairy eyeball and said, "NOT the Furminator, I hope!" I assured her I knew better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts