Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honestly, I suck it up. I will put on the whole get-up! Hat, gloves, scarf, boots...whatever it takes!! And once I am out there moving it never seems that bad! Only problem is that they LOVE the cold and could stay out all day!! And I do love that fact the the ground is so frozen!! Hardly any clean up of muddy paws!

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
What do you do to make sure your golden gets enough excersise when its just WAY to cold outside for you to bear.
Where are you located and how cold is it? :)

In SC it rarely gets too cold for a walk, but tomorrow they're predicting a low of 17. I seriously doubt merlin will get his morning walk that day. :) I'm a wimp! Don't know how you guys in the north do it!

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
On days it is really cold, I just let the boys in the backyard which we just fenced in this past summer. They love it in the snow. They will run for hours out there and then lay in the snow. I do think they are snow dogs, they make me cold just looking at them, brrrr.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
On days it is really cold, I just let the boys in the backyard which we just fenced in this past summer. They love it in the snow. They will run for hours out there and then lay in the snow. I do think they are snow dogs, they make me cold just looking at them, brrrr.
Me too. I'm a wimp!:eek: Back to puppy school tonight though. At least they'll get a little practice. :)

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I suck it up till the wind chill reaches about 10F. Below that it just takes way too much clothing to walk comfortably. I can skip a day or two but after that I have to get the boys some good exercise either indoors or out.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
Its way too cold for me outside.. I let them out in the yard and they run around and play together. On these cold days its way too cold for me! it was -20 degress celcius here in ontario yesterday and the next few days with the windchill are susposed to be feeling close to -30

·
Registered
339 Posts
Its way too cold for me outside.. I let them out in the yard and they run around and play together. On these cold days its way too cold for me! it was -20 degress celcius here in ontario yesterday and the next few days with the windchill are susposed to be feeling close to -30

Yeah, it was -33C here in Bancroft this morning. I let Nygel and Riley out and went downstairs for 5 minutes. They were back and barking to get in before I could even get back upstairs so Gwen had to get up and let them in. It's supposed to get down to -36C the next few nights. Yikes, better bring in the brass monkeys!!:--big_grin::--big_grin::--big_grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
We're looking at -20s this week in parts of Vermont. Doggie Daycare is a winter-time blessing, that's for sure.

(Minor annoyance though - they use salt out front. It irritated her paws today :( )

·
2,472 Posts
What do you do to make sure your golden gets enough excersise when its just WAY to cold outside for you to bear.
just get some winter clothes. :D
There's no cold weather, only inadequate clothing

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I hate the cold, so today we arranged a play date for Max with Duke. They wear each other out, just running around the house and wrestling, so he's happily napping now.
Tomorrow I'll suck it up and walk out in the field with him, and hubby will go out and let him run around later because hubby doesn't mind the cold as much as I do.
And Friday, Duke is coming here.
I can't wait for Spring.

·
2,472 Posts
I suck it up till the wind chill reaches about 10F. Below that it just takes way too much clothing to walk comfortably. I can skip a day or two but after that I have to get the boys some good exercise either indoors or out.
10F ?! We would consider that the perfect temp for being outside all day. Any warmer than that is almost too warm for skijoring or mushing.

Really, there are some great warm light winter clothes on the market. I usually wear snow bibs or the mountain hardwear compressor pants and jacket. They're windproof, too, and keep me comfy to about 15 below F (ca. 2 C). If it's colder han that, then I wear bibs and a down jacket. Neckwarmer and hat are obligatory, of course.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
10F ?! We would consider that the perfect temp for being outside all day. Any warmer than that is almost too warm for skijoring or mushing.

Really, there are some great warm light winter clothes on the market. I usually wear snow bibs or the mountain hardwear compressor pants and jacket. They're windproof, too, and keep me comfy to about 15 below F (ca. 2 C). If it's colder han that, then I wear bibs and a down jacket. Neckwarmer and hat are obligatory, of course.
LOL! This would be why I live in SC and not Alaska! BRRRRrrrrrrrrr!! :wavey:

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I sure hate missing MY morning walk. It was painful with a "feels like" temperature in the single digits this morning. But, somehow I forced myself to do it. :)

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
so apparently we hit -19 last night. All I know is that it was COLD this morning. And even colder tonight.

This is one time when it's a good thing that Tinkerbell isn't quite like most goldens. She doesn't require walks in this weather. In fact actually she is barely outside as she is just not comfortable.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
We play a game called "Ball in the Hall."

Anything less than 20 degree is too cold for our two. Last night, Aspen was out for 5 minutes & already limping from the cold.

I created a hand-out to give to people when I see them walking dogs when it's too cold (or too hot) outside. This morning, a woman was walking a teeny-tiny dog in below zero weather & the poor thing was dancing around like crazy!!!!!! :mad: Needless to say, I stopped & handed her a brochure.

In the newspaper today, there was an article about how to keep dogs warm, safe, & comfortable during cold weather. I hope people will read it & take it seriously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im ready to leave for a half hour right now. Im in Milwaukee and it is 4°F, -9°F Windchill. I really dont think my dog cares, he will be rolling around in the snow and running around like crazy. This will be a short walk, normal when 10°F+ is 1 to 1.5 hours.

If I dont take him out I will be playing fetch and ignor the dog games till after midnight.

He is 6 years old........

This weekend I will be up north where it is going to get to -23°F Thursday not including windchill.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'm with ya.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts