Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so glad to be back to posting normal stuff on this forum! Sawyer was yesterday but is doing so much better today! I think my next step now that he is officially an adult would be the Neutering phase. Have any of you had your males neutered around age 1? What can i expect post operation? My vet does same day procedures, meaning drop off at 9 am and pick up at 5. I am seriously hoping this will calm him down or something, as I can never sit on my couch without him jumping on me! But anyways, I've sort of been ready to have that mature dog that everybody wants, ya know? I've trained him mostly well, he is very behaved on walks, and loves dogs and people. But I want to be able to take him to the dog park without him humping all the pretty poodles he sees :/. Anyways! Any advice on what to expect while neutering would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
Most of the newer research suggests that it is better to wait until the dog is 18 months old to 2 years. He should be full grown before he is neutered if you can wait.

As for the same day proceedure, most dogs come home and are totally fine. They are sore but they don't seem to have much concern about it. They are just happy to be home. I have had more problems getting the 10 days of antibiotics into the dog than anything else!!

Do check out the soft cone if you can. My old male has had a number of surgeries over the years that have required a cone (a punchure wound, a couple of hot spots, and 3 ear hematomas). He smashes the hard plastic into the back of my leg and nearly drops me several times over the course of his recooperation. I know that a number of people on this forum has commented that the plastic cones take out dry wall corners also. The wood trim in my house has prevented that.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts