Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
aka Sam =)
4,971 Posts
My goals for Joey are for him to life his leg!
I want the same thing for Enzo! I'm sick of him peeing on the backs of his front legs. lol Other than that, I'd like to FINISH our beginner obedience class. We only did the first 4 weeks out of an 8 week class. I was sick the 5th week, the car broke down the 6th week, and Enzo had a staph infection for the 7th and 8th weeks. They said that we could make the classes up during a later session. After that, I'd like to continue with Intermediate, then work on getting Enzo his CGC. We're going to majorly work on his non-existent recall! I'm also thinking of maybe trying an agility class with him once he listens a little better off leash. =)

·
Registered
75 Posts
My goals for Belle are...

1. That she'll learn to be off leash everywhere, and come to me, stay, sit or down anywhere I ask.
2. Listen to people who she's never met when they give her commands.
3. Never again pee in this house.
4. She'll learn to behave by herself in the house, so we dont have to use her crate anymore.
5. No more biting or scratching.
6. Able to go outside herself without anyone supervising her.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Quiz:

Finish the U-CDX. (Had to bump that goal to next year since the Nov. '10 UKC trial I was counting on didn't happen this year.)

Maybe earn the Canadian CDX if we travel up north again this summer.

Earn the AKC UD.

Zoie:

Start regularly bringing her to Fun & Games Agility for a quick run or two when I'm teaching. (She's 10 and retired, but it's fun to come out and shake off the cobwebs every now and then.)

Both:

Keep them happy and healthy and find a way to tweak my work/school schedule to allow for more off-leash running time.

Me:

Have finished the first semester of my Master's program and be 20 lbs lighter.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oh, what a wonderful thread! I missed out on this last year.

Jasmine comes home in January, so I certainly have a lot of goals for her. Successful training, puppy school, housebreaking without having to leave the door open for either her OR Ori. In Feburary I'm getting some professional photos done of me and them. Oh, and the biggest goal of all...no more un-scheduled vet visits! I have never owned a dog or cat that has been as accident-prone or sick as Ori has been this year. In fact, I think the only time I took my cat to the vet apart from her check-ups was once when she'd been pining.

I'm hoping Jasmine will be a little less worrisome. I freak out if I can't see or hear Ori moving around in the house and he goes wandering out the back for longer than ten minutes now. Wondering if he's collapsed or getting himself into trouble or illness. I have a strange feeling Jasmine will be a troublemaker rather than a trouble getter though. Which I don't mind too much...as long as she doesn't make me sick with panic the way Ori has the ability to.

All in all though, I just wish for them to get along, and be happy and healthy. And I hope she doesn't embarass me at the beach.

Ori has this fetish for drinking the sea water and then gives everyone on the beach and surrounding grasses, shops, and boardwalk a real exciting show of losing his stomach all over the place. He won't run or swim in it, just stands in the waves and drinks like he's never seen water in his life. Although, he was only a puppy when we took him last time. He was a summer pup, so I was trying to keep him cool during the heatwave when he first came home...he's hated the bathroom since. Not sure how I'm going to deal with keeping Jasmine cool next month as it's right in the middle of summer when she comes.

·
Missing my sweet Oliver
225 Posts
Okay maybe if I put it in writing I'll get it done.

Oliver - RA and CD, we have a couple of stumbling blocks, mostly jumps, sometimes over sometimes not so much, but we should be able to accomplish this.

Harley - RN, CGC, and maybe the breed ring.

Stanley - I will try to be much more quiet on my days off and not do anything interesting during the day so he can get his twenty hours undisturbed sleep a day. However in spite of Stan's wish I will not be sending Harley back.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Okay maybe if I put it in writing I'll get it done.

Oliver - RA and CD, we have a couple of stumbling blocks, mostly jumps, sometimes over sometimes not so much, but we should be able to accomplish this.

Harley - RN, CGC, and maybe the breed ring.

Stanley - I will try to be much more quiet on my days off and not do anything interesting during the day so he can get his twenty hours undisturbed sleep a day. However in spite of Stan's wish I will not be sending Harley back.

Susan, You are so funny!!!

Thinking about you tonight, Cape May will be having a Christmas Parade and it would be nice if one year you could be with us, of course with your Boys!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Thought I'd update this thread:

Annabel - find something she can enjoy doing. I am hoping to convince my principal to allow her to come up to school once a month, but I don't know if he'll go for it. She would love having the attention from all the kids.
Nope, she's still my grumpy little couch potato

Conner - continue to show him occasionally and have both of us enjoy our time in the ring. I'd like to finish our OM2 (just need a few more utility points). I'd also like to earn 1 more OTCH point so we can have 1/4 of an OTCH LOL. It would be nice if we could get a utility 1st so we can say we earned all of our firsts, but the stars would have to align perfectly for that to happen.
We got 4 more OTCH points for a total of 28 and finished the OM2. I retired Conner from the regular classes, and now my mom is in training to show him in some nonregular and optional titling classes.

Colby - in theory he should be ready for utility next year but the reality is I really don't do much training with him anymore so who knows if he'll make it or not.
2 torn ACL's may have thrown a wrench in that plan

Flip - I'd like to be able to start putting him in nonregular/optional titling classes next summer. It's just going to depend on how much his little brain grows up in that time. At this point his level of focus isn't there yet and he still needs a lot more proofing on his stays.
Entries have already been sent in for rally novice and beginner's novice next month! And if those classes go well over the summer, I am now considering putting him in novice this fall :eek:

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
1. Run JH tests in the spring and pick up some legs (title would be ideal)
Well decided to wait. Ugh, story of my life but I hope it pays off. Maybe this fall. I just want her more confident with the long water marks.

2. Have a dog that can do basic handling in preparation for SH
Despite not making #1 I might be exceeding #2. She's doing pretty well on her drills and I have cleaned up her t-work, even ran double t the other day. The end of the summer might bring her handling pattern blinds!

3. Be trained in all obedience exercises through Utility, though not necessarily 'refined.'
Done. Working out kinks, but she can do everything, just not proofed or up to competition standards.

4. It has been really hard to say this, but I think in the long run it will be best to wait. No dog shows excluding hunt tests for pretty much the entire year. If she settles (and/or matures for conformation) I may show her at the end of the year or heck, maybe earlier. But--I think have too much of a handful to count on that.
Yup, no shows thus far for me :( Every now and then I see something and get tempted, but there is no point in pursuing it until we are 100% ready. She is still young yet.

5. If/when her hips clear I will look at possibly taking an agility class. I may put this off for another year--I do not want to bite off more than I can chew ;) Doubt I'd show her in agility next year even if I took classes. But, ya never know....
Well hips look good just waiting to hear the official word from OFA. I am very tempted every time I think about agility now. I've done some little things on my own, but may start training with some friends on the real equipment. But I don't want to get too serious until I've gotten some accomplishments with field and obedience.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
My goals for my two are this! Both are just obedience goals.

Rivet
Break the curse of the 197!! I am so tired of 197's!!
We are also working on utility.

Filly
I am training Filly all the way through utility before I show her in novice, then I will be working on polishing. Thinking fall for her novice debut.

I also working on taking a HIT away from Michelle and Titan with Filly;) Sorry Michelle LOL! :wavey:

Reactions: Titan1

·
Kate
21,494 Posts
I have related or sequential Definite Goals.... so yes, #1 is the most important one. :)

1. Teach him stay means stay at class just the same as it does at home.

2. Have his CD title by this time next year or be a leg away.

3. Start him in Open classes (I know we can start that now, but I'm already doing Novice Practice at one place and Novice/Open Practice at another, I'd lose my brains if we picked up a third class). :D

Optional Goals:

1. Rally Novice title (I need to pick up a few classes to learn the signs)
2. Beginner Novice title when more shows start offering it (I need to work on the perimeter walk/stay)
The one in bold is the most important one, and I can say that we are starting to get better... but it's going to take a while to get him back to the same level he was this time last year (staying with me on the other side of the room) before he spazzed out. :uhoh:

The blue bit - I'm taking more than a few classes. And enjoying them.

The red bit - I haven't worked on that at all except for maybe one class where I train. I also discovered I needed a longer leash for this class, since none of mine were longer than 4'.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
How did I miss this thread until now.. oh yeah right.. I would have been in CA.. taking care of one of my dream goals for 2010..
Okay for this year .. maybe a repeat of last year. I would like to stay in the top 25 maybe take a trip to Florida this year. ..
Seriously, I would like to keep Titan healthy this year. I would like to maintain his enthusium for showing....and I would like to continue to show well.
PS... Susan I look forward to seeing you and Filly's debut. I will be cheering you on ringside for that HIT!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
The red bit - I haven't worked on that at all except for maybe one class where I train. I also discovered I needed a longer leash for this class, since none of mine were longer than 4'.
I brought a 6' leather leash last summer for that reason, even though I knew I wouldn't be needing it for another year. And what happens? I'll give you a hint....it was a leather leash and Flip was a one year old. ;)

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
How did I miss this thread until now.. oh yeah right.. I would have been in CA.. taking care of one of my dream goals for 2010..
Okay for this year .. maybe a repeat of last year. I would like to stay in the top 25 maybe take a trip to Florida this year. ..
Seriously, I would like to keep Titan healthy this year. I would like to maintain his enthusium for showing....and I would like to continue to show well.
PS... Susan I look forward to seeing you and Filly's debut. I will be cheering you on ringside for that HIT!
I almost forgot one of my important goals. I need to find the new perfect puppy.. I would love a Titan puppy but might go back to frozen with Apollo..still trying to figure my options..LOL!

·
where the tails wag
13,374 Posts
I almost forgot one of my important goals. I need to find the new perfect puppy.. I would love a Titan puppy but might go back to frozen with Apollo..still trying to figure my options..LOL!
Apollo - I fall in love with him each time I see his K9-Data page.....

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Apollo - I fall in love with him each time I see his K9-Data page.....
He was amazing and his work ethic comes through very strong in his puppies.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I hope you do get to go again this year! I bet Florida will be tons of fun!!

A puppy sounds like a lot of fun for you! I hope you can find him/her!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
So the year is coming to an end, how is everyone on meeting their goals?

Conner - continue to show him occasionally and have both of us enjoy our time in the ring. I'd like to finish our OM2 (just need a few more utility points). I'd also like to earn 1 more OTCH point so we can have 1/4 of an OTCH LOL. It would be nice if we could get a utility 1st so we can say we earned all of our firsts, but the stars would have to align perfectly for that to happen.
six weeks after I wrote this, it happened all in one day. Conner FINALLY got his first place in utility, which gave him 4 OTCH points for a total of 28, and also finished his OM2. That was his last day of competition, I decided to retire him on a great note and focus with the little guy.

Colby - in theory he should be ready for utility next year but the reality is I really don't do much training with him anymore so who knows if he'll make it or not.
darn double ACL surgery means no more trialing for Colby, and my parents decided to take him from me and let him be a spoiled lap dog.

Flip - I'd like to be able to start putting him in nonregular/optional titling classes next summer. It's just going to depend on how much his little brain grows up in that time. At this point his level of focus isn't there yet and he still needs a lot more proofing on his stays.
Well I can't say it has been easy, but it has been quite a year for Flip. He earned his RN and BN, and although I originally wasn't planning on entering him in novice this young, I did and he earned his CD with a High in Trial on his last leg. Also this year he has earned a leg in rally advanced and graduate open, earned a 200 in prenovice, and has shown in wild card open and wild card utility. He still needs a lot more proofing on his stays :p:

And I didn't post this as a goal for the year, but gotta add that I lost 35 pounds this year! :dblthumb2

·
Kate
21,494 Posts
Looks like 2011 exceeded your plans in a big way, Jodie<:

1. Teach him stay means stay at class just the same as it does at home.

2. Have his CD title by this time next year or be a leg away.

3. Start him in Open classes (I know we can start that now, but I'm already doing Novice Practice at one place and Novice/Open Practice at another, I'd lose my brains if we picked up a third class). :D

Optional Goals:

1. Rally Novice title (I need to pick up a few classes to learn the signs)
2. Beginner Novice title when more shows start offering it (I need to work on the perimeter walk/stay).
Oh gee. :bowl:

Well... I got the optional goals anyway. Nice placements in 5 of 6 legs.

The stay practice has been... back and forth. I think his stays are getting there. They are a cazillion times better than they were last year at this time. I'm not in a hurry anymore. :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yes!! Our goal was simple for 2011:

For us, it's very simple: spoil Toby absolutely rotten and enjoy more one on one time with him, keeping his world as stable and happy as possible.
...We hope and pray 2011 is a quiet year, one in which we can bond even more tightly with Toby and give him a sense of stability. We would love to take him on a few road trips and just have happy family times together. He really is a sweet and adorable little bundle of energy!
Well, 2011 was definitely NOT a simple or quiet year as we dealt with unexpected, invasive and LONG home repairs and we took Toby through double cataract surgery in September, which is still a work in progress. On the plus side, Toby was in fact spoiled rotten, loved and feels stable again, after the trauma of losing his older sibling in 2010. We also took a road trip with him to Galveston a few days before his cataract surgery.

My goals for Toby for 2012--recover from his cataract surgery so he can once again play extreme ball chasing. I also plan to continue to spoil him silly--EVERY dog deserves that. I hope he gains a couple of pounds and maintains it now that we know he has some digestive enzyme issues and I hope that if things work out right, Toby will become a big brother sometime in the year to an adorable Golden Puppy (and be a good role model). :crossfing

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
how fun to see this revived!
"......My goals for Tiny (who will turn 14 shortly) and Toby (who turns 13 in a few weeks) remain the same as they were for 2010 (and I've been very successful), which is to keep them as healthy and happy as possible in their very senior years.
For Tito, a little more detailed but not as many as last year, since we did pretty well in accomplishing the 2010 goals.
1. I'd like to get his senior hunter title during 2011.
2. Be ready to enter novice level agility by the end of 2011, whether or not we actually enter any events.
guess that's about it! ....."

Tiny and Toby...we did okay on those goals!
Tito, no chance of the SH title this year. Ah well, that one gets moved into next year's goals!
And the agility, well, we exceeded that one, with his 2 new agility titles :)

41 - 60 of 69 Posts