Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
My goals for Joey are for him to life his leg!
Haha, out of all things that Chester needs to work on, this is probably DH's number one. He keeps asking me when he'll start lifting his leg. :D

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Haha, out of all things that Chester needs to work on, this is probably DH's number one. He keeps asking me when he'll start lifting his leg. :D
It's not too hard of a trick to teach.... small kids think it's hilarious. But when your dog offers it at the pet store and the employees think your dog is actually peeing... not so good.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,062 Posts
And finally... my last goal is to :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing HOPEFULLY :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing ... get another puppy! I think I almost have Jay convinced, so it's just a matter of time before he finally caves.
I'm :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing for you too!!!! Would love to see Molson have a brother or sister!

I would also love another puppy (I've been stalking a few breeder's websites) but with 3 guys already......I don't think I'll be too successful!!!

·
where the tails wag
13,374 Posts
I added an item to mine :)

Towhee and Faelan I also plan on teaching and proofing Scent Articles over the winter

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
My goals...

Belle - Finish her PAX, compete at AKC National Agility Championships, and to retire her from competition.

Teddi - I hope to do some obedience training and get her Novice Obedience title before the end of the year.

Quinn - Run some Started and JH tests, hopefully a title. Begin competing in agility, depending on when she is ready to run, let's hope to finish at least her novice agility, and novice jumpers titles. Maybe get a Senior or better yet Master dock jumping title. Ok these are not "my" goals, she is my husbands dog...

Gabby - Goal #1 housebreaking. ;) Goal #2 stop screeching in her crate. :doh:
I have aspirations of doing novice obedience with Gabby and Teddi concurrently. Would love to get her WC, and start running her in Started and JH. Start her preliminary agility training, and get her into dock jumping. But most of all to be my super puppy regardless of everything else.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Annabel - find something she can enjoy doing. I am hoping to convince my principal to allow her to come up to school once a month, but I don't know if he'll go for it. She would love having the attention from all the kids.

Conner - continue to show him occasionally and have both of us enjoy our time in the ring. I'd like to finish our OM2 (just need a few more utility points). I'd also like to earn 1 more OTCH point so we can have 1/4 of an OTCH LOL. It would be nice if we could get a utility 1st so we can say we earned all of our firsts, but the stars would have to align perfectly for that to happen.

Colby - in theory he should be ready for utility next year but the reality is I really don't do much training with him anymore so who knows if he'll make it or not.

Flip - I'd like to be able to start putting him in nonregular/optional titling classes next summer. It's just going to depend on how much his little brain grows up in that time. At this point his level of focus isn't there yet and he still needs a lot more proofing on his stays.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
For 2011, I would like Selli and I to earn her CDX and get her utility exercises trained. I would LOVE to have the time and money to trial again in agility to even get her MX and MXJ (we only have one leg in each). While I think we can accomplish the first, but not the second.

·
Registered
429 Posts
1) I want to teach Dodger to carry the newspaper inside.

2) Caro Rally Novice title - might enter one trail in January. And then maybe advanced levels for ckc and caro.

3) Balance standing up on his hind legs

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ooh, interesting thread... We got Tobey in February of this year, so we didn't quite set goals for him. We've accomplished a few things this year, AKC Star Puppy, completing beginner obedience(not sure if we passed, see my thread on that), got him to walk nicely on leash (although he still gets quite excited by people and ther dogs), paper trained and then house trained him.... Oh, and got him to only chew on his toys...

We also got him a little brother to keep him company, and picked up Bailey in September of this year. So we have quite a bit of goals to set for next year...

Tobey - Continue basic training (probably not going to take formal classes till mid to late next year), work on his excitability (jumping and parking when he sees someone or something he wants to see or play with), get him out and about hiking or out to the beach more...

Bailey (our sheltie) - start puppy class in january, take beginner obedience and hopefully do better than we did with Tobey, work on him not chewing and destroying our house (seriously, he has done more damage to our house than Tobey as a puppy), also get him out and about hikig and to the beach (although, I don't think he likes water :( but hopefully he'll just chase after Tobey like he usually does).

A lot to look forward to next year!

Oh, and regarding that earlier post on lifting legs... I think our goal is to keep both Tobey's and Bailey's legs down and keep them squat peeing. :D

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
I want to get back into agility with Willow next spring. Nothing serious just something for us to do together.

For me- I plan to win the lottery.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
For us, it's very simple: spoil Toby absolutely rotten ;) and enjoy more one on one time with him, keeping his world as stable and happy as possible.

2010 was nothing like we anticipated as we dealt with Barkley's hemangiosarcoma diagnosis and death, our grief (Toby grieved as well), health issues with Toby (now under control) and a devastating stroke in a parent. We hope and pray 2011 is a quiet year, one in which we can bond even more tightly with Toby and give him a sense of stability. We would love to take him on a few road trips and just have happy family times together. He really is a sweet and adorable little bundle of energy!

·
Missing my Kody Do
165 Posts
Well, considering Sam is only 12 weeks, I have alot of goals for him....

1. pee outside, not on my carpet.
2. learn all his basic commands...sit, stay, heal, come, leave it, no bite, etc. etc. LOL
3. I want him to walk on the leash nicely, Kody was a bad puller.

I could go on and on I bet but this is alot for his first year!!!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My re-occurring goal - get Kirby to go for a walk without bouncing and body slamming me and as always be able to walk the two of them together safely.

Now the "realistic" goals:

For Kirby -
  1. Complete the attention classes and keep practicing the homework
  2. Take some agility classes to build her self confidence
  3. Return to Rally and finish the last two legs for her Advanced title - AND HAVE FUN!!

For Darby -
  1. Continue his agility training
  2. Start him in Rally for fun, a change of pace and for a little "obedience" training
  3. Begin training for his Therapy Dog certificate

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Goals for Bentley who will be 1 year old on September 25 2011 is to finish up basic field training and attempt our first JH and WC. As well as his fist duck hunting season with me :)

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Well, with school starting soon...I'm going to say Ranger's goals won't be able to get started on until May. I seriously doubt I'll be able to do another agility class (as much as I would LOVE to) when this our beginner one ends in 2 weeks time.

Either way, before Christmas of next year I'd like to have:

- Done at least 2 more agility levels with Ranger
- Try our therapy dog testing again
- Passed the CGN test

I can't remember my exact goals for last year but I'm sure they had something to do with not pulling on leash anymore and Ranger just passed the test with flying colours last night. He's not great on leash with new people and the last time my dad walked him, my dad was frustrated by Ranger's pulling. BUT I got home last night and my dad had taken Ranger out for a 30 min walk and not only was Ranger NOT pulling, but dad also only had on Ranger's cloth THICK martingale collar! Yay!

Besides that, I did a lot of new things with Ranger this year and I know that was on my list. We went hiking every weekend in the spring, got him to ignore the ducks on walks by the river in the summer, taught Ranger to run alongside a bike in the summer/fall, and entered an agility class which is something I've wanted to do for the last ten years! So it was definitely a great year, Ranger-wise!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am sooo enjoying this thread, I love to read everyone's goals. We need to remember to revisit this about mid-year, too, and see how everyone is doing.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I am reflecting that raising 3 puppies in 3 years isn't really fair to Tally just in terms of time for his formal training, so no more babies until we get that CDX finished.

Tally : CDX and SAR certification
Copley: Am CH, RA
Finn: CDX,RE
Tango: TDI
Jill: CPDT-KA
Jill, these are great goals, but I don't think you should give up on Tang's CD. Just because she is with Dave doesn't mean she couldn't do it while she is with you. I know we've talked about this before, but she could finish that over a weekend or two - she is so rock solid! And a TDI for her would be perfect! What a great hobby for her to do with Dave.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I am so pleased to say that last year THIS LADY got her head on a little straighter, learned A TON, learned I have a ton more to still learn (duh), built a ton of confidence and really started to focus on building a special working relationship with each of my dogs. This has been the best jumping off point ever. That being said I think I have some realistic goals for 2011.

Bogey
  • Obedience - nothing formal; only working on making it fun! We just started learning about better ways to train that are fun for Mr. Independent like choose to heel. He is doing better. My goal for 2012 with him is to be ready to compete for a CD, so I just want to get him happy about working. He currently either finds obedience boring or stressful.
  • Agility - so far he loves this and my husband does too! We are so new that I don't know what to expect in terms of competing, but I'd like to get him as close to competing in novice as possible. An NA title would be the ultimate goal, but with Bogey I always plan for set backs.
  • Therapy Work - Bogey just got his TDI but now it's time for us to get out in the community and get to work.

Ace
  • Obedience - Ace's big focus this year will be obedience. His focus and attention are excellent, especially for his young age. I don't want to do any competiting until he has a rock solid foundation, so that's the goal. Lots of work ahead!
  • TDI - not the biggest deal in the world, but I'd like him to pass later in the summer.
  • Rally - if Ace does well in Obedience, I would consider competing with him in rally as long as I don't think it would set him back. It would be a good setting for me to practice working and it could be good for proofing and distractions.

Me
  • Keep learning! I'm going to a lot of seminars. Most of them I will audit - I am at a stage where I just want to be a sponge, not overwhelm my dogs. I will be at a Sutart Mah seminar for agility, Paul Kartes for field work (Ace will be working at this one), and Bridget Carlsen for obedience. I am also going to watch some tracking tests later this month just to see what it's all about.

Thanks for posting this, Barb! One of my favorite threads every year :)

21 - 40 of 69 Posts