Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoyed the 2010 thread, especially revisiting it a couple times during the year to see how everyone was doing on their goals and plans for their dogs.
So it's time to start the 2011 thread! What are your goals for your dog(s) for next year? Goals certainly don't have to be titles or accomplishments in formal dog sports, although they can be. Some of the most worthwhile goals have nothing to do with formal dog sports. For example, getting Fido to lose 10 pounds, or getting FeeFee to come back reliably when called, and so on.
So everyone give it some thought, and then jump in and post what your goals are for next year for your dogs!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I am reflecting that raising 3 puppies in 3 years isn't really fair to Tally just in terms of time for his formal training, so no more babies until we get that CDX finished.

Tally : CDX and SAR certification
Copley: Am CH, RA
Finn: CDX,RE
Tango: TDI
Jill: CPDT-KA

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goals for Tiny (who will turn 14 shortly) and Toby (who turns 13 in a few weeks) remain the same as they were for 2010 (and I've been very successful), which is to keep them as healthy and happy as possible in their very senior years.
For Tito, a little more detailed but not as many as last year, since we did pretty well in accomplishing the 2010 goals.
1. I'd like to get his senior hunter title during 2011.
2. Be ready to enter novice level agility by the end of 2011, whether or not we actually enter any events.
guess that's about it!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,062 Posts
My goals for my dogs are:

Reno......similar as above. He's 10.5 years old and keeping him healthy and happy is first and foremost.

Austin......continuing with his agility classes in hopes of competing mid 2011. I'm also hoping to get his CGC and to start Rally-O with him.

Lincoln.....same as above (Austin)

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
I'm sure I can think of more, but for Chester the most important would be to stop the jumping!

·
Kate
21,494 Posts
I have related or sequential Definite Goals.... so yes, #1 is the most important one. :)

1. Teach him stay means stay at class just the same as it does at home.

2. Have his CD title by this time next year or be a leg away.

3. Start him in Open classes (I know we can start that now, but I'm already doing Novice Practice at one place and Novice/Open Practice at another, I'd lose my brains if we picked up a third class). :D

Optional Goals:

1. Rally Novice title (I need to pick up a few classes to learn the signs)
2. Beginner Novice title when more shows start offering it (I need to work on the perimeter walk/stay).

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Finally... I have a puppy of my own!

For 2011, I'd like to firstly get him to walk nicely on a loose leash when he's not heeling. Once we have that done pat, I'd like to get his CGC and RN title.... if I were really pushing it- his CD... but I think that's for 2012.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Let's see...
Breeze--MH passes, if not a title or two
Winter--finish AKC SH, get CKC CDX to qualify for GRCC VHOF
Butch--finish AKC JH, and work on Can. Ch
Bonnie--complete field basics and get her WC and JH

Don't know when I'm going to have time to eat!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I went back and looked over my goals for Jackson in 2010 which we accomplished plus more, so I'm absolutely thrilled. For 2011 I hope to be in an advanced rally class and possibly enter a few trials this year, and begin open training and maybe beginner agility. For both Jackson and Kosmo, who will turn 10 this coming year, I hope they continue to be healthy and happy dogs.

·
where the tails wag
13,374 Posts
My goals are

For Casey, perhaps some of the optional titles but mostly keep him happy and fit as he enters his 10th year

For Fealan:
JH title
CDX title
Agility Novice and Open titles

For Towhee
A litter of healthy, happy and high potential pups - performance and conformation
Agility Novice titles (she's almost ready)
CD (she's almost ready) and perhaps optional titling classes
RN
CCA

A few of my goals shifted last year but I am happy with the progress we have made and the happy working attitudes of all of my dogs. May 2011 continue to be successful :)

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
1. Run JH tests in the spring and pick up some legs (title would be ideal)
2. Have a dog that can do basic handling in preparation for SH
3. Be trained in all obedience exercises through Utility, though not necessarily 'refined.'
4. It has been really hard to say this, but I think in the long run it will be best to wait. No dog shows excluding hunt tests for pretty much the entire year. If she settles (and/or matures for conformation) I may show her at the end of the year or heck, maybe earlier. But--I think have too much of a handful to count on that. Very good chance I may not show her in obedience now until she's 3! But again, I think waiting until she's settled and more mature will probably pay off in the long run and hopefully our obedience journey from CD to UD will be swift and fun
5. If/when her hips clear I will look at possibly taking an agility class. I may put this off for another year--I do not want to bite off more than I can chew ;) Doubt I'd show her in agility next year even if I took classes. But, ya never know....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
For the girls, I would like to concentrate on teaching more handling skills to have them ready to attempt Senior Hunter (I doubt I'll have time to run enough tests to finish a title, but I'd like to maybe hit the local tests).

Ruby needs two more utility A legs, so I'd like to get that finished. Maybe spend some more time training for Open B stays so that trying for a UDX isn't totally out of the question. I'd like to finish her AX title too and hopefully get an AXJ leg or two.

Piper is coming along with her obedience. Her goals for the year are RA, RE, and *maybe* beginner novice in September. We're starting agility too, hoping to get the NA, NAJ, NF titles late next year if her elbows hold up to this type of training.

I'd really like to try both girls at tracking, but I'm afraid that will push me over the edge!

For the old man, my goal is to just keep him as happy and comfortable as I can.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am signing Danny up for a Agili-O class in January. It combines agility and rally-o. If he enjoys that, I will likely sign him up for a rally-o class next. He loves training classes and I really like them, too. He's done two levels of agility already, has his CGC and is a Therapy Dog, so I am ready to take him in a little different direction.

Jasper has no desire to go to class and has already gotten his CGC and is a Therapy Dog, and he's the perfect dog 98% of the time, anyways. Except when he eats the fake apples off from my Christmas tree....

Jasmine is going to be 10 in January and she's already earned her CGC, so I have no further training I will be doing with her. She prefers fishing at the lake, anyways.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Does anyone have any good resources for goal setting? I'm great at helping others with it... but horrible with myself...

Blaze (10): RN (need 1 more), RL1 (2 more), and TD (started training this year).
Luna (7): Get her on the right meds for her anxiety, do a ton of behavior modification, return her to agility class, and then to trialing.
Griff (2.5 now): Enter a TD test (...whether or not we get in will be another story), Ideally CD by the end of the year if I'm not too wimpy to enter... and actually enter agility trials. Ahem.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
As I accomplished my goal for this year (CGC), my goal for next year will be: making Tess an Therapy Dog and start voluntary work with her.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
In January I plan to enroll Molson in classes - I'm ashamed to say that he will be 2 and he has never been to a puppy/obedience/anything class, however I am very impressed with how far he has come just working on our own. The last few months he has made a TON of progress on heeling and loose leash walking, which is great.

I'm not yet sure which stream of classes we will continue with throughout the year, I'll have to see which he enjoys more - Rally-O or Agility, and depending on how well he does, I would like to enter him in a trial to hopefully get him a title.

My next goal is actually for both him and I. I am competing in a triathlon in August and plan on training Molson as my running buddy - hopefully will get up to running around 20K over the course of a week.

And finally... my last goal is to :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing HOPEFULLY :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing ... get another puppy! I think I almost have Jay convinced, so it's just a matter of time before he finally caves.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
And finally... my last goal is to :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing HOPEFULLY :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing ... get another puppy! I think I almost have Jay convinced, so it's just a matter of time before he finally caves.
This is my goal for 2011, too!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
My goals for Joey are for him to life his leg! haha, id also love to complete advanced obedience, and possibly agility (it looks fun and everyones been saying such fun things about it!) Id also love for Joey to stop jumping on people. Im sure i'll think of more.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
these are just wonderful! keep them coming!

·
Kate
21,494 Posts
And finally... my last goal is to :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing HOPEFULLY :crossfing:crossfing:crossfing ... get another puppy!
Same here... That was my supersecret goal I was waffling about mentioning because it is so up in the air right now. There are two breeders I'm thinking about checking with re/September next year or Spring 2012. I'm already saving up puppy money. o_O

1 - 20 of 69 Posts