Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on Golden Retriever Facebook group, and someone posted enquiring about leaving their new puppy in the crate for 13 hours a day- lots of advice was give on why this is ridiculously unreasonable for an 8 week old puppy.

One comment stood out- a firefighter that does 24 hour shifts. He commented that it was alright once you train your dog and all his dogs hold it in their crates for 24 hours.

It's not a matter of whether your dog can or cannot hold its bladder for 24 hours that makes it ok to stick them in a crate for that long, but the fact that they should not be made to.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,441 Posts
God bless these firefighters that have to work a 24 hour shift.
Surely this guy realizes or knows it's not alright to leave a pup or dog in a crate for that amount of time.

I can only imagine the comments he must have received......

·
Puddles
3,505 Posts
God bless these firefighters that have to work a 24 hour shift.
Surely this guy realizes or knows it's not alright to leave a pup or dog in a crate for that amount of time.

I can only imagine the comments he must have received......
He will when the vet bills start coming in because his dogs have UTI's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do firefighters really do 24 hour shifts? That doesn't sound safe to me. Are we sure this wasn't just a troll...?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, they do. If they don’t get a call, they can sleep at work part of the time. It’s a very difficult job.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow. What happens if they get a call at hour 23 and they've had no sleep and crash the fire engine? 24 hours straight on any job without a defined break cannot be good for the health of people, let alone their dogs.
I don't think (hope?) firefighters are allowed to be put in this situation in the UK and Europe - they usually do a max of 2x 8 hour shifts in 24, but even if they are, that wouldn't be an excuse for animal neglect. Currently that's punishable by up to 6 month jail, but may soon be extended to up to 5 years. Leaving a dog in a crate for 24 hours would be defined as neglect in all but the most exceptional circumstances...

·
Registered
37 Posts
A friend is a nurse and when she works night shift, she must stay until her final case is done, including documentation. Because of the type of work she does, she can’t hand off a patient. So if she has more than one patient back to back, she can easily be up all night and work well into the next day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found this relating to UK animal welfare law: Animal Welfare Act | rspca.org.uk
Under the dogs section, it explicitly states "Provide your dog with access to an
appropriate place, away from their
resting area, which they can use as a
toilet area regularly as needed and at
least every few hours.".
Is there any equivalent animal welfare laws in the US?

·
Registered
677 Posts
They are on call for a 24 hour shift. They can do whatever they want at the firehouse during their 24 hours unless they get a call. So if they get 2 calls in 24 hours and they spent 4 hours out on calls...they can sleep The rest of the time, watch tv, clean the station etc.

I would imagine most individuals who are firemen/women have accommodations for their pets when they’re on their shifts.

My mom is a critical care nurse and she works 12 hour nights. Still requires help with any pets she’s had (my dad or us etc).

·
Registered
680 Posts
Do firefighters really do 24 hour shifts? That doesn't sound safe to me. Are we sure this wasn't just a troll...?
Yes they do and sometimes they are held over and have to pull 48 hour shifts. Generally it's 3 days on 2 days off 2 days on 3 days off 2 days on and then a "Kelly" day (scheduled day off). Other than required workout and training times, they can do what they want when they are not on calls (depending on the Captain).

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A friend is a nurse and when she works night shift, she must stay until her final case is done, including documentation. Because of the type of work she does, she can’t hand off a patient. So if she has more than one patient back to back, she can easily be up all night and work well into the next day.
They are on call for a 24 hour shift. They can do whatever they want at the firehouse during their 24 hours unless they get a call. So if they get 2 calls in 24 hours and they spent 4 hours out on calls...they can sleep The rest of the time, watch tv, clean the station etc.

I would imagine most individuals who are firemen/women have accommodations for their pets when they’re on their shifts.

My mom is a critical care nurse and she works 12 hour nights. Still requires help with any pets she’s had (my dad or us etc).
the person that posted on facebook enquiring about it is a nurse as well- but in the end she is opting for having someone pop in during the day thank goodness!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts