Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Watson's Mom
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday night, Watson woke my boyfriend and I up with a loud hacking noise. He did it periodically throughout the night and at one point threw up a little foam. I researched and called my vet in the morning. They said this can be indicative of kennel cough so I decided to take him to the vet Monday after work.

The only time Watson has been in a kennel cough environment is once a week on Thursdays where I was taking him to a puppy class at PetSmart (he just graduated two weeks ago!). The vet said he wasn't coughing when she was doing her exam, but that what I described sounded a lot like kennel cough so she prescribed me an antibiotic and off we went.

HOWEVER, the rest of the afternoon, all last night, and this morning he did not cough. I decided to wait through the night before starting the antibiotics and he slept without a peep. I called my vet and left a message, but I thought I'd pose the question here in the meantime. I don't want to give him antibiotics for something he doesn't have. I ALSO don't want to be misdiagnosed and miss out on our next few weeks of training classes:/ He isn't acting sick, no loss of appetite or energy.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with kennel cough and any thoughts?

Thanks everyone for reading this long post:)

·
Kate
20,687 Posts
I'd give it another couple days to see if he shows any symptoms.

Kennel Cough doesn't just come and go. It usually starts showing with a dog sniffling or snotting a lot. Then random coughs. And then if it gets really bad, it generally is frequent rounds of "horking" sounds (like a cat hawking up a hairball), sometimes resulting in vomitting. The one time Jack had it a couple years back, he also was running a fever and looked pretty sick in addition to the horking sounds.

·
Kristen; Buddy's Human
524 Posts
The hacking noises and the throw-up happened once? I'd almost personally wonder if he maybe swallowed something wrong, or got a bit of rawhide perhaps.

I'd watch the treats you're giving your pup as well, and make sure he's not deciding to "vaccuum for you" and getting anything on the ground in his mouth.

·
Watson's Mom
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hacking noise happened multiple times throughout Sunday night. Maybe between 5-10 times?? He only threw up at the end once though... I feel if it was kennel cough he would have continued throughout the day or last night.

I'll definitely keep an even closer eye on him the next few days. I'm just hesitant to start antibiotics he may not need.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Ky picked up a terrible case of kennel cough before Bentley came. The first time I have ever experienced it.
She started coughing which quickly became hacking, with white foam. It Started on Sunday and got worse and worse until the Vet opened Mon AM.
It was the absolute worst sound I've ever heard come from a dog. And her chest and stomach were sore from coughing. It took us 3 weeks and nearly $500. to get over it.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady once had a very light case of kennel cough. It showed up about three days after being boarded. He had had his bordatella, but it was seven months earlier.

In his case, he only coughed in the mornings. When I took him to the vet, they were able to replicate him coughing by making him stretch his neck, I think the vet was also able to see mucous in his throat. The vet did not treat and let it run its course unless his symptoms got worse. I believe he only coughed and spit up foam for less than a week, but I had to quarentine him for three weeks.

I would also take him into the bathroom anytime anybody took a hot shower so he could be helped out with the steam.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I was just thinking, how old is Watson? That would make a very big difference on how serious it is for you to use the antibiotics. If he is a puppy, it is very important to treat it.

Brady was two year old at the time, that is why the vet let him run its course.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just read your post after I sent you a PM. The same exact thing happened to Sheldon
Sunday evening as well. He started to gag and cough when he went to bed that
evening. I had noticed a hack here and there but thought it was caused from him pulling on his leash. Went to the vet Monday, they heard the cough as he got excited and said it was kennel cough and prescribed
antibotics as well. He started taking them and I haven't heard anything since.
He also goes to puppy class so I suspect thats where he got kennel cough as well.
Being in an enclosed room they can pick up germs very easily. He has to miss classes
I believe for three weeks. I think I had to be safe rather than sorry as he is a puppy
and things can get serious.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
This sounds like Kennel Cough. My two went through it for a whole day and never coughed again... unless he gets worse or starts acting lethargic I wouldn't worry too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts