Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Shandy522
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, who is going to put up a Christmas tree this year? Shandy will be 6 months... is anyone else planning to try it out with your puppies?

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I did when I got Gable and had very little problems. I am getting Olivia in a week and a half and still plan on putting up the tree with two of them.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I brought Thai home on December 7th, 2010 & put up our Christmas tree shortly after. I put the "soft" decorations along the bottom of the tree to protect not only the decorations but the four legged kids & young grandchildren. Here's a couple of Thai Christmas pictures... yes, they grow quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
All of my boys enjoy when the Christmas tree goes up.

Attachments

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I am definitely going to be putting a tree up, I just hope someone doesn't steamroll :burnout: it over in a crazy zoomie bucky bronco frenzy!!
Bryley thinks everything put on this earth is meant for him to play with so I do have concerns about ornaments, soft or not!! But like I said, Imma gonna try!!!!!

·
Mulligan & Samantha's Mom
1,263 Posts
I don't have a puppy so I hope it's okay that I post here. This is our first Christmas with Mulligan though, who we adopted this past spring, and I'm a bit nervous about the tree thing too. I hope he behaves himself, lol. I still come home on occasion to find a throw pillow in the wrong room, although he (knock on wood) isn't eating our pillows any more.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank was 5 months old for his first Christmas. My Maggie (RIP) was 4 months. It never occurred to me not to put up a tree. We of course put any fragile decoration or cinnamon scented ornaments high where they couldn't be reached or knocked off.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know, My husband and I want to but Bailey goes after everything. It would probably be a disaster. She's such a sneaky girl. I guess we don't know until we try though!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I'm a little worried about the tree with Beamer this year! We will see how it goes...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I don't have a puppy so I hope it's okay that I post here. This is our first Christmas with Mulligan though, who we adopted this past spring, and I'm a bit nervous about the tree thing too. I hope he behaves himself, lol. I still come home on occasion to find a throw pillow in the wrong room, although he (knock on wood) isn't eating our pillows any more.
Of course you can post here...and it sounds like Mulligan still has quite a bit of puppy mischief in him:p:

I'm worried about a tree, but not because of the ornaments. Bentley LOVES to chew on all the low branches of the trees outside. I'm afraid we're going to have a tree that's naked from the middle down :doh:

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Soft ornaments: when my kids were little I found material at the fabric store that had preprinted 'ornaments' on it. Cut out two halves, sew them together, leave an opening for stuffing, stuff and then sew closed. You could also sew a bell on so you know when the mischief maker is making mischief.

If they still have such a thing, it would be a fun project for kids/g-kids to help with. A nice remembrance from puppy's first Christmas.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am going to try putting my tree up as well. Ours is artificial which may work in our favor because Maya loves pine trees. Our last golden never touched ANYTHING--except for at the holiday season--when she ate one of the kid's hand made pretzel wreath ornaments, and chewed into a box of chocolate -- I should have known better with their expert sniffers to put anything edible (even wrapped) under the tree. Maya is a thief and a chewer, so I may gate if off, or just not decorate anything in her reach!

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
I hadn't even thought not to until this post. I think we will still put it up, its artificial. She will be 7-8 months while its up but she is still crated when we aren't around so we will have to constantly redirect her if she goes after it.

Not sure if I will be able to put the gifts under the tree this year though..

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I normally decorate our Spruce houseplant (supposted to be a tree, but, because it is indoors in a tiny pot, it kinda stayed teeny...so, I affectionately call it our "Teacup Spruce")

Never had trouble with puppies and trees, but, I do have a cute old-enough-to-know-better dog story. My mom always puts up a huge tree, decorated to the nines and our first golden, Sammi, never bothered it. My dad has a coworker who has a huge crush on him, so, one year, she made him an ornament. It was a snowman made of marshmallows and gum drops with little frosting eyes all stuck together by the hook. My mom was less than thrilled, but she put it on the tree...midway up because it wasn't sealed with anything. On Christmas eve, we were having dinner and noticed Sammi had dissappeared...and that dog NEVER missed a meal time. I went to look for her and found her hiding under the bed...her normal "I did something I'm not proud of" spot, so I inspected the house...I finally got to the back room where the tree was and found a bare hook hanging from the tree...I looked for anything on the ground...nothing...then it dawned on me...the snowman was missing. At least she had enough sense to leave the hook on the tree.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hank was 5 months old for his first Christmas. My Maggie (RIP) was 4 months. It never occurred to me not to put up a tree. We of course put any fragile decoration or cinnamon scented ornaments high where they couldn't be reached or knocked off.
That was my first thought..."it never occurred to me not to put up a tree". We will most definitely put up a Christmas tree. We traditionally get it the weekend after Thanksgiving. So early I know but my kids love it. We'll bring both pups with us to pick it out this year. We may have to think about repositioning it to a corner:)?! Remington(5 months) loves to eat grass. stick and sod. Hope Balsam/Frasier fir is not one of his favorites!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was just thinking of this last night! We will be putting up our two trees... but might put the kid artificial tree upstairs (they get their own tree for the ornaments they make and the ones they receive from ornament exchanges that we participate in) and then a gate around our big tree... Scout also loves to pull tree branches, and I can see him attempting to bring the tree down... otherwise we will keep him leashed and tethered and see how it goes. I make reusable bags for wrapping out of flannel, so may have to put them up... but hopefully we will be able to train enough in the next 2 months to have better response to "leave it" and "off"... he is just starting to try and jump onto the couch when someone is sitting there to get attention- if he learns to stop this behavior quickly, I will feel better about NOT gating the tree.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts