Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after nearly 7 years and many different allergy medications, I've finally figured out that my Golden boy (Lando) is not allergic to anything - he gets itchy skin literally the moment I turn the heat on for the first time and it continues until it is turned off in the spring, at which point he is fine. This guy will scratch himself bald in spots and will also use the metal fence as a scratching post, which is really bad - can't leave him outside unsupervised and have to continually remind my kids the same when I'm gone.

Aside from investing in vaporizers (which does help) and putting fish oil in his food, what else can I do to help him? I try to brush him daily and spray his spots with Burt's Bees anti-itching spray for dogs. Any other products I can try?

Thank you - trying to find some extra relief for my best buddy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also wanted to add - I am not anxious to give him a bath anytime soon, as I feel this will just exacerbate the problem. Of course, he will need a bath eventually.....any guidance on this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,461 Posts
So after nearly 7 years and many different allergy medications, I've finally figured out that my Golden boy (Lando) is not allergic to anything - he gets itchy skin literally the moment I turn the heat on for the first time and it continues until it is turned off in the spring, at which point he is fine. This guy will scratch himself bald in spots and will also use the metal fence as a scratching post, which is really bad - can't leave him outside unsupervised and have to continually remind my kids the same when I'm gone.

Aside from investing in vaporizers (which does help) and putting fish oil in his food, what else can I do to help him? I try to brush him daily and spray his spots with Burt's Bees anti-itching spray for dogs. Any other products I can try?

Thank you - trying to find some extra relief for my best buddy!

First, I would say the only way he would dry out that bad you turning on the heat is A, he lays on or next to the heat registers so he's getting dried out from the warm air blowing on him. If he's not laying closely to the registers and just the heat being turned out is drying him out that much then it's 90% chance it's the food. He's likely on the edge of having a dry skin issue and that is directly related to the quality of the food you feed. The lack or Omega 6's and 3's in a ratio of 4:1 or 5:1 will actually cause dry skin. You might have a food balanced in 6's and 3's but you may need a food with higher levels at the same ratio. You can also just add in a Grizzly Salmon oil to their food and boost the 3's.

The other thing is get a humidifier. but if it was THAT dry in your house everyone would have dry flaky skin most likely.

Also, just get a soap or detergent free shampoo like Tropiclean or Earthbath (I use Tropiclean personally since they add oatmeal to every formula now) which will not strip the oils off the skin and will not dry out your dogs skin. You can generally bath once a week or once every other week with a quality soap/detergent free shampoo with no issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions, particularly the shampoo. It is not the food - he has been on many different foods, some prescription, even. If it was food, he would have issues in the spring/summer/fall - and he doesn't.

And yes, everyone in the house dries out with the heat on.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,461 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions, particularly the shampoo. It is not the food - he has been on many different foods, some prescription, even. If it was food, he would have issues in the spring/summer/fall - and he doesn't.

And yes, everyone in the house dries out with the heat on.

That's my point. If the food is JUST enough to keep him on the edge of a normal skin and not dry, the winter time with the heat on can be enough make them dry. Keep in mind, 95% of the time when you're talking about dry skin (skin and coat issues), it is directly related to the food you feed. Dismissing that possibility right off the bat can leave you spinning your wheels for a long time before finding the issue. I would look at everything else I mentioned since that is quick to make changes to. Changing the food can take 6 weeks for skin to correct and up to 5 months for the coat to fully change in a long hair dog like a Golden.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dogs has environmental allergies, in the winter as soon as the heat/furnace is blowing, I am pretty sure it is related to dust mites, she bites at herself /scratches her belly, the same in the summer for everything outside. Diet and omegas don't really help as she is on a good diet and gets extras already. So I will give her antihistamines , different kinds and she wears a t/shirt or vest to protect her stomach from being scratched as well.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am a professional groomer. If you use a good shampoo and get it thoroughly rinsed out, it shouldn't worsen the problem-in fact, it should help. I use Trophy Line Mane-ly Long Hair products on all my clients. I fell in love with it after I tired it on my horse who had severely dry, itchy, brittle mane and it worked wonders on her hair-it is fabulous! I would recommend using the complete system-shampoo, conditioner, and polisher/detangler. Bath and thoroughly rinse with shampoo, then do the conditioner and rinse (though it is not necessary to be as thorough with rinsing the conditioner as it is with the shampoo), then towel dry, then rub the detangler through the coat, then blow dry and groom as usual. Mane-ly is specifically formulated to restore moisture to the coat and not strip its natural oils. I have used tons of different stuff over the years as a groomer, but none that I like so well or that works so well as Mane-ly. Might be worth a try for your dog! You will probably need to just go to the Mane-ly website to order it as it is not commonly carried in stores. I bathe a minimum of once a month and have never had dry skin issues, but the coat and skin is particularly nice with Mane-ly!

G

·
0 Posts
Have you tried Cytopoint injections? It's a new medication and it's the only thing that curbed our dog's constant itching. He's like a new dog! We don't know what the actual trigger is for the itching but the vet said it is likely some type of environmental allergen, which are hard to avoid.

·
Jennifer
107 Posts
My dogs has environmental allergies, in the winter as soon as the heat/furnace is blowing, I am pretty sure it is related to dust mites, she bites at herself /scratches her belly, the same in the summer for everything outside. Diet and omegas don't really help as she is on a good diet and gets extras already. So I will give her antihistamines , different kinds and she wears a t/shirt or vest to protect her stomach from being scratched as well.
It seems every year when we start using the furnace more often I sneeze and the dogs scratch. What has helped us, is for me to shampoo the carpet. If you have carpet in your house, you might want to try that. It really does help us. In fact, that's on my current chore list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts