Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

Our almost 2 year old Golden, Walter, consistently has what appears to be an itchy butt. He does not scoot, but he will do a quick sit randomly and puts his weight on his butt like it itches. We have had his anal glands squeezed and the issue persists.

Our vet thinks it may be a food allergy. We currently feed him Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin, Chicken recipe. We were told we may wish to switch to lamb or salmon. (He previously had digestive issues on his beef-based puppy food)

Before I go down the rabbit hole of switching foods, I wanted to see if anyone here has the same experiences? He otherwise does not appear itchy. And it's winter time in Illinois so we can rule out seasonal allergies.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar issue? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
This may be way out in left field, but our guy was doing the same thing and it turned out he had a lumbar disk issue. He is older (6) and a bit heavy. We originally thought it was an issue with his glands. The vet explained that he sits because he feels discomfort in his back and demonstrated how pressing on his spine in a specific area caused him to immediately sit down.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You could have him allergy tested at a dermatologist. I did that and my last Golden was allergic to a lot of things other than seasonal type allergens. The thing he was most allergic to was wool. He was having more issues, however, than just sitting like that -- he kept getting skin infections. He sat also. He scooted. I went down the food allergy rabbit hole before taking him to the dermatologist and they said his allergies were definitely not food related.

I'm not quite sure the issue you are describing sounds like allergies as it seems there would be other things going on (unless there are other things going on.)

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,874 Posts
As others have said, it could be allergies and not food related.
However, some dogs do not do well on chicken, my guys didn't.
I switched them to a Salmon food and I only buy/give salmon treats.

If I give another protein source, my boy has stomach issues.

You may want to consider doing allergy testing to find out if your boy is allergic to anything.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Sometimes, just occasionally, I had to get a baby wipe and wipe my last girl's butt hole when she acted itchy. Sometimes it was anal gland residue or poop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts