Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're headed to the vet this morning, but I wanted to see if anyone had seen this before. I'm hoping it can be easily treated...

My puppy has raised red bumps on his skin. They are primarily around his collar and in his armpit. He is itching constantly. The bumps are scaly. They are about as big as half my pinkie nail, for the most part. Some are slightly bigger. I think I've found about 10 of them, more or less. I mean, he's not covered with them but it's enough that he's really uncomfortable.

I'm not sure how long he's had them - the first time I noticed was last night, but he's been itching for longer. But I brush him every other day, and he of course gets lots of pets, so they couldn't have been there too long without being noticed.

Any ideas? I'll post back what the vet says.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
First thought is food allergy? Corn n chicken in his food? Next thought is fleas...is it warm enough there to have fleas yet?

Predizone and antibiotics will fix it, but not really identify what the problem is...good luck at the vets!

Dry air can also make skin itch...how's the humidity in the house?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thought is food allergy? Corn n chicken in his food? Next thought is fleas...is it warm enough there to have fleas yet?

Predizone and antibiotics will fix it, but not really identify what the problem is...good luck at the vets!

Dry air can also make skin itch...how's the humidity in the house?
Food: he eats Taste of the Wild pac. salmon, so no corn or chicken there. But possibly in his treats - I will have to check that.

It has been very dry in the house except for the last week. We have been running the A/C, it's so warm out! We just had a whole-house humidifier installed this week, so dryness will no longer be a problem when the heat is on. I know the dry air has caused his skin to be very flaky, but the bumps are new.

Fleas: well, I suppose that is possible, with it being so warm. I don't see any signs of fleas on him, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

thank you!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back from the vet in case anyone is following:

He doesn't think it's fleas, or an allergy. He didn't totally rule out the allergy, but felt it unlikely at this age. He scraped for mites, but didn't see any. However, he said mites can hide deep under the skin, and it could be the rare mite that is not controlled w/ FrontLine plus.

For now he's going with the possibility that it is "puppy acne" (he had a term for it that I've forgotten), even though it's in the wrong place.

He's treating with antibiotics and in two weeks if it is not gone he'll look again/treat for mites.

·
Musician/Songwriter
380 Posts
Could he have been chaffed by a walking harness or something like that causing a rash or a hot spot? Just thinking.......

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Glad you went to the vets. The antibiotics will probably fix it, let's hope it does not start again after the treatment. Keep a diary of things you use in the house, yard, car, etc...food, treats, plants etc that Zeke gets into...

Hope he stops itching soon, I know it can be miserable for both Zeke n You! Good luck!

Two more thoughts that just came to mind...Original Gold Listerine is a good bacterial killer...pour some on a paper towel and wipe down the "puppy pimples" to clean the area. Another thing to try is Gold Bond Medicated Powder...it will help stop the itch. Teach him to not Lick. Again, Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could he have been chaffed by a walking harness or something like that causing a rash or a hot spot? Just thinking.......
We don't use a harness, but I was thinking the same when I first felt them around the collar. But then I found them in the armpit and it debunked my theory.

Glad you went to the vets. The antibiotics will probably fix it, let's hope it does not start again after the treatment. Keep a diary of things you use in the house, yard, car, etc...food, treats, plants etc that Zeke gets into...

Hope he stops itching soon, I know it can be miserable for both Zeke n You! Good luck!

Two more thoughts that just came to mind...Original Gold Listerine is a good bacterial killer...pour some on a paper towel and wipe down the "puppy pimples" to clean the area. Another thing to try is Gold Bond Medicated Powder...it will help stop the itch. Teach him to not Lick. Again, Good Luck! :)
thanks for that! I will get some supplies - great ideas. I'd like to get the itching under control at least for puppy class. It's a real distraction.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
That is semi what I found on Coop, small bumps, then area of skin got darker (hard to describe) first Vet treated with antibiotic, then a mo later he did another scraping and was ruled as juv. demodex. We found 3 small spots on him. The vet did 1 mo of ivermectin, then 2 mo of ProMeris and was honestly about gone after the ivermectin. Hopefully we never have another bout with this as eventually the area lost most of the fur, thankfully it has all grown back now. It too started with raised bumps, not puscules, but just a raised rash like. Sorry I am not good about describing.

But all is well and good, cleared right up and in about 8 wks hair had grown back. Coops was never itchy and never bothered him at all, bothered me much more than him.

·
Under Napoleon's Rule
900 Posts
What you describe Deber is what Napoleon had on his knee...a patch about 3 inches square..The vet did scraping with no results.. but the antibiotics cleared it up within a week ..his hair is now just growing back with the darker skin underneath..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts