Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Phoebe's Dad
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else has seen their dog itch their bum by sitting and then sliding on the floor?

I have only seen Phoebe do this once or twice but I just wanted reasurance that its normal.

She is still herself and has not been in any pain or anything like that. She was spayed in November and her bloodwork came back perfect.

So again, I am just being a cautious owner and wanting reasurance lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
My golden has worn the grass out in a path down hill scratching her butt. It has gotten much worse with age, but I've talked to numerous vets and groomers about it.
1. check for parasites.
2. make sure her anal sacs are empty
3. allergies

Sometimes an itchy butt is just that.

But be aware that many Goldens have allergies. My girl has allergies to grains (wheat, corn, etc..) but she loves bread she's been know to steal it off the counter, out in the fields, and so forth. When she drags her rump across 5 feet of carpet or down the hill, I know she's been eating stuff she's not really supposed to. If your girl is chewing, biting or digging at her haunches as well, it's probably allergies. Until she was 10, they were only sometimes annoying, but now her diet is MOSTLY grain free. *cough, cough*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts