Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To open the forum and actually see a picture of a GOLDEN RETRIEVER instead of a yellow lab, a yorkie, or a whatever the other one is.
Just sayin'.
Was nice when this forum featured Goldens back in the day.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
To open the forum and actually see a picture of a GOLDEN RETRIEVER instead of a yellow lab, a yorkie, or a whatever the other one is.
Just sayin'.
Was nice when this forum featured Goldens back in the day.
I'm with you.

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
Yup. We went through this when it first changed. It's a Lab x Golden. There's a thread about it somewhere that I am too lazy to try to find. Lots of great points made about how if people are trying to educate others about Goldens and standard, etc. the board should actually feature Golden Retrievers in the photos. No change made.

The dog belongs to the site's administrator or someone else connected to the design or running of the board.

Solution: Switch back to the classic view. All Goldens on the banner. (And much easier on the eyes overall!)

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
Yes the classic view has goldens in the banner, but the bi-monthly large advertisement is currently showing a yorkie. Before that a lab with a little girl and before that a shih tsu. I think these ads are from one of the site's sponsors.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The story with the big picture of the lab and little girl is about the top ten breeds for therapy dogs. It doesn't include Goldens in the list but does include German Shepherds and Rottweilers, along with some other odd choices. Seems misinformed and why would they put it on this site?

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Things change in life as greed buys out the mom and pop stores.

The last of any intellectual discussions whatsoever I have read here IMO were in the hunt and field section. The days of stories we wrote about our dogs seem to have been long ago.

I have nothing against other breeds at all but you're right it is a Golden forum. Many people have dogs of other breeds and I like to see them post. I like to think anyone is welcome here.

But a yorkie on the front page is like a meaningless blurb of the day.

·
Kristy
9,306 Posts
Things change in life as greed buys out the mom and pop stores.

The last of any intellectual discussions whatsoever I have read here IMO were in the hunt and field section. The days of stories we wrote about our dogs seem to have been long ago.......

This forum has not bounced back and recovered and I suspect it will not. Nothing lasts forever but it is a shame. The discussions on facebook are not the same.

·
Administrator
1,106 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for your feedback on the issue. I'll talk to our editorial team from Petguide.com. The "HOME" page is meant to be used as a content portal for such articles related to dogs in general.

Yung

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, more clicks =more money. Perhaps it should be changed to "general dog forum" then.

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback on the issue. I'll talk to our editorial team from Petguide.com. The "HOME" page is meant to be used as a content portal for such articles related to dogs in general.

Yung

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Yep, more clicks =more money. Perhaps it should be changed to "general dog forum" then.
Barb, like this?

General Dog Forum
@admin's - here's the thing. :) People coming to this forum are going to be looking for golden retriever specific stuff. So it's weird that the front page for said forum is general dog stuff.

That would be as weird as the header for the conformation fb groups I belong to having barn hunt stuff in there. It's totally different. Weird. Confusing.

The lab mix on the golden retriever header is borderline.... I think a lot of us did not want to be really rude in continuing to express problems with that. You did have a lot of people submitting head shots of their golden retrievers and their dogs got beat by a lab mix? (And this isn't sour grapes from me because both my dogs are up there). Anyway, that's borderline.

But having the whole front page dominated by labs and yorkies is crossing that line. Your advertisers don't know their audience here.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Guys,

Yung
I appreciate your feedback also Yung. Truth is no that no higher ups listen to old members. Things might change short term to calm us down but let's face the truth.

I don't know you and you don't know me but there used to be lots of stories here. I see a few old members hanging on but most do not impart knowledge or share things anymore to boost the revenue of VS anymore.

You want a fluffy TMZ site well you got it. I suppose it fits the times :(

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back when I joined the forum, I'd go away for a weekend to a dog show and come back 3 days later and have over 500 new posts to look through. Obviously things have changed. I guess it's like all of life, nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
I have been on the forum since 2006. The changes have not been beneficial to our forum of the past. So many people are gone and it is sad. The fun and sharing of information is not like it use to be. Sad but true. I rarely log on now and only do to catch up with the few people who really try to keep the GOLDEN RETRIEVER forum going. It is NOT a general dog forum it is suppose to be a GOLDEN RETRIEVER forum. What happened??

·
RobinM
92 Posts
I really hope the forum can be brought back to the wonderful Goldens. So many of us don't come here to find out what our dog choices say about our wine choices or how other dogs excel at certain activities. I have no doubt that Golden Retriever specific advertisement and articles would generate more income on this site than the current stuff geared for dogs far away from our beloved Goldens.

It can't be too difficult to find articles that would benefit our dogs, and us. Enabling stickys that are useful to certain forums would certainly be helpful. Perhaps having a "suggestion box" would indicate what the members consider valuable information.

A member centric forum would, undoubtedly, be very vibrant. We all love our dogs and want to share information about them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Forums in general are dying. This is still one of the most active forums that I'm in. I don't think it's the banners. Forums have died because old members became friends on FB or Instagram or other social media and follow each other there. FB has also become a great source of information, and people don't use the forums anymore even to post questions. I've noticed that some people hang around a forum while they have puppies, and then disappear when their dog grows up.

It's a shame, because for me personally, as I've been a member of a few different forums in the last 11 years that I have my dog, it's about following other members' dogs' life, their adventures, seeing their pictures, and even pulling for them when they get sick. Sometimes I wonder what happened to some dogs, what they look like now as seniors if they are still alive.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How special. Yet another huge picture of a non-Golden whatever dog when I first open the site. Guess I'll go browse FB where at least the Golden Retriever groups feature Goldens.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Thank You! How nice to open the forum today and see a nice picture of a Golden right at the top!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts