Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently we brought Boomer into the vets for his one year check up. He came back at a whopping 80.4 pounds! the vet said that was just his buid and not to be worried and continue doing what we are doing...he looks great! in the process we changed his flea and tick treatment from advantage to frontline. while he was on advantage we never once had problems with fleas...but ticks was a completely different story. which is the reason we changed. for the past week or so every few minutes he is itching...and i cant get him to stop. its not in just one spot it ALL over! from the tip of his nose which i swear he is going to scratch off...but all the way down to the tip of his tail! he also since being on frontline has been going NUTS when we scratch his lower back right above his tail. he starts licking the air and turns to the side, its kind of weird. what we are trying to figure out is if he is possibly having an allergic reaction to frontline? we have bathed him and it sothes him for a bit, but we cant wash him everyday! what do we do? any help would be awesome :doh:

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I agree with Rob, I would check with the Vet. It sure sounds like some type of allergy, either the Frontline, or have you changed his food recently? That can really set my Brody off. That is why I changed from Nutro when they got the new formula. Brody just really itched with that change in their food.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It does sound like an reaction to the Frontline. I would contact the vet and see what they say. Have you given him any benedryl? That can help with the itchies.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One word of warning with Advantix.... If you have cats, don't use it as it is very deadly for cats. If you have no cats around then there is no problems using it.

jeesh! i have 2 cats at home and was going to change to the advantix, but now i might just have to go back to the advantage...do you know of any other that works as good as the advantage with the tick formula in it? i did call the vet today and they are willing to let me return the 3 month supply of frontline that i purchased and swap it out for another. but now with the cats i am wondering if i should just go back to what he was originally on and just keep an eye out for the ticks. i just dont want to have to bring him in...its costing a fortune!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I use advantix on my dogs with the three cats and never have had a problem. But then my cats dont lick my dogs or furniture they stay away from them, maybe that is why I havent had any problems.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i just got back from the vets office. was advised to go back to the advantage and also to bring him back in to have them look him over to make sure it isnt a bacterial infection or something of that nature. they did recommend using benadryl to calm his itchies until we do get a chance to bring him in...and was given the dosage amount. i have never given a dog a human med before and am unsure as to how you go about doing it. i know it sounds stupid but im new to this as boomer is our first dog. is it in a pill form or a liquid form that i give him...and for how long? im soooo lost. any help would be awesome!:doh:

·
Registered
205 Posts
We use a new product that seems to work well. It's a combo of the heart worm med and for fleas and (I think ticks) but I can't remember the name. Lot of help huh. sorry to hear about the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts