Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do neutered males often have issues with other males who are 'intact'? (We are still waiting to get Max neutered, he's 9 months old.)

At least three times in as many weeks, Max has been "attacked" at the dog park (when first entering) by other males who are neutered. Luckily, none of these has turned into actual fights, but it's never happened previously. Max seems to get along and play well with all the other dogs, he's very passive and friendly. He doesn't even seem to get upset when other dogs attempt to hump him, he just moves away from them.

I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the fact that he's entered puberty and other dogs recognize it.

Any ideas? Tips? Suggestions?

I'd really hate to have to stop taking him to the park, he loves it there and has a great time except for these few episodes.

Thank you!
Trids

·
the party's crashing us
4,334 Posts
Yes, this is very common.
When I used to take Fisher (intact) to the dog park in town, he was always the one getting humped (and was the only intact one there).
Public dog congregations are no place for an intact male. Both unwanted attention from neutered guys and the risk of encountering another intact male erupting into a fight.
In other words, if he gets much older without being neutered, dog parks are out.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Most of the time when ther ewas a squable between dogs, it was 2 intact males going at each other. I haven't seen that neutered males will attack an intact male, interesting.
I hope your Boy doesn't get hurt from the other males.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
IMO, it's often because the lone intact dog stands out like a sore thumb in a sea of neutered dogs. I know of several intact dogs who have become a bit of a "target" at the local "saloon," through no fault of their own. Best bet is to carefully pick his dog friends and avoid settings where he's forced to interact with whomever happens to be there that day. JMO.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darn it, I was afraid that I would get this kind of news. It just seemed so weird that it began to happen all of a sudden.

We plan to wait until he's a year old to neuter, so his dog park day may have to be curtailed for a while. The idea of fights with other intact males hadn't occurred to me yet.

Thanks for the response!
Trids

Yes, this is very common.
When I used to take Fisher (intact) to the dog park in town, he was always the one getting humped (and was the only intact one there).
Public dog congregations are no place for an intact male. Both unwanted attention from neutered guys and the risk of encountering another intact male erupting into a fight.
In other words, if he gets much older without being neutered, dog parks are out.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hadn't expected it, in fact it took me a while to put it together. :doh: Max is my first male, so it's all new to me. I plan to do my best to prevent any injuries to him, even if it means skipping the park for a while.

Thanks,
Trids

Most of the time when ther ewas a squable between dogs, it was 2 intact males going at each other. I haven't seen that neutered males will attack an intact male, interesting.
I hope your Boy doesn't get hurt from the other males.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip...it's making perfect sense now. I guess the dog park excursions will have to be reduced for a while. Unfortunately, I don't have any available "dog friends" for him to play with and he's so wonderfully social at the park. At least I have a fairly good idea what's going on & can expect it to change after surgery. (I certainly hope so, anyway! :crossfing)

Thanks Stephanie!
Trids

IMO, it's often because the lone intact dog stands out like a sore thumb in a sea of neutered dogs. I know of several intact dogs who have become a bit of a "target" at the local "saloon," through no fault of their own. Best bet is to carefully pick his dog friends and avoid settings where he's forced to interact with whomever happens to be there that day. JMO.

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
I've definitely noticed Gibby (1 year old - intact) getting dirty looks, sometimes growls, from other dogs lately. Gibby averts their eye and sends out calming signals, which I think has helped the other dogs to not take things farther than growling/snarling, but it's still scary.

We've never been to a dog park and don't plan to - we have playdates with friends' dogs. And I'm always careful about blocking other dogs that pull on their leash, dragging their owners toward us wanting to meet. (The owners are always saying, "Oh, he just wants to say hi.") I can't wait until Gibby's fully matured so we can have him neutered. In the last month or two, we're definitely getting lots of unwanted attention from the neighborhood dogs.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Sam was able to go to the dog beach and dog parks with no incidences until he got to be about 9-10 months old. Then he was attacked on two separate occasions at dog beach by a dog that came up out of nowhere and attacked him immediately with no provocation or interaction from him. After that, we stopped going to public dog areas. Just wasn't worth the risk. And it was very shortly after those incidences that we got Dillon, and dog park time was less needed as he had a buddy to play with at home.

I definitely think him being intact might have had something to do with those incidences.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think it's fine when they are little puppies but at that age, I would avoid the dog park till he is neutered. Our local dog park actually does not allow intact dogs. I feel your pain- it's a bummer to skip the dog park but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Yes...intact males tend to emit some sort of "I dare ya" hormone. LOL

We have an intact male here, with neutered males. The intact one is a brat...and is constantly showing off how "testy" he can be. He has to stay intact...because he's being shown, but we, the humans, keep him under tight control, and know that his hormones are raging now. He just turned two, so hopefully the testosterone levels will start to drop during this coming year, and he'll get out of the adolescent, obnoxious stage.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, same age! Never had a problem until last month....now I'm torn between moving up the surgery or stopping the dog park visits for a few months. :confused: We haven't been back since the last incident. Darn hormones!

Thanks Marlene!
-Trids

Sam was able to go to the dog beach and dog parks with no incidences until he got to be about 9-10 months old. Then he was attacked on two separate occasions at dog beach by a dog that came up out of nowhere and attacked him immediately with no provocation or interaction from him. After that, we stopped going to public dog areas. Just wasn't worth the risk. And it was very shortly after those incidences that we got Dillon, and dog park time was less needed as he had a buddy to play with at home.

I definitely think him being intact might have had something to do with those incidences.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm seeing enough of the testy stuff already & he's only nine months. He's also become quite interested in his sisters "parts", even though she's spayed. I swear I spend more time trying to keep his nose away from her backside than I do training these days! :D

Thanks for the response!

-Trids

Yes...intact males tend to emit some sort of "I dare ya" hormone. LOL

We have an intact male here, with neutered males. The intact one is a brat...and is constantly showing off how "testy" he can be. He has to stay intact...because he's being shown, but we, the humans, keep him under tight control, and know that his hormones are raging now. He just turned two, so hopefully the testosterone levels will start to drop during this coming year, and he'll get out of the adolescent, obnoxious stage.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, safe is far better than sorry, I just hate depriving him of the play and socialization he gets there. Unfortunately, we don't have any friends nearby with dogs to arrange play dates with. It's also the only fenced place we have with enough space for him to run off leash safely. Darn it!!! Guess we'll just have to stay away from the park until after the surgery....2 1/2 months or so. :( I just don't know how to break it to him! He's going to be zooming (flying?!) all over the house!
-Trids

I think it's fine when they are little puppies but at that age, I would avoid the dog park till he is neutered. Our local dog park actually does not allow intact dogs. I feel your pain- it's a bummer to skip the dog park but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Sorry that you will have to cut back your trips to the dog parks until the surgery! Maybe you could try to go during non-peak times when there are many fewer dogs there, that might help avoid conflict.

I'm afraid that Molson will be in the same position in a few shorts months as we plan to wait until he is about 22 months before we neuter him. Luckily a bunch of my close friends are all getting puppies shortly (Luci on here is one of them!) and we will be able to have lots of at home playdates.

I'm trying to think of other suggestions for you to still get Max some offleash dog socialization but I can't :(

Hoping for a quick 2.5 months for you! Keep us posted :)

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Steph!

I'm stumped too! We live too close to Phoenix to have any truly safe 'off leash' areas without fences and in the city it's a law that they have be on leash (except at designated parks). He hasn't yet developed a truly reliable recall, so I'm not willing to take any chances that way. :yuck: Thanks for trying, I appreciate it!
-Trids

Sorry that you will have to cut back your trips to the dog parks until the surgery! Maybe you could try to go during non-peak times when there are many fewer dogs there, that might help avoid conflict.

I'm afraid that Molson will be in the same position in a few shorts months as we plan to wait until he is about 22 months before we neuter him. Luckily a bunch of my close friends are all getting puppies shortly (Luci on here is one of them!) and we will be able to have lots of at home playdates.

I'm trying to think of other suggestions for you to still get Max some offleash dog socialization but I can't :(

Hoping for a quick 2.5 months for you! Keep us posted :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts