Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I would like to adopt an older Golden. We have reached out to several breeders as well as social media sites without success. Any suggestions on how we can narrow our search to find our furever family member? Thank you!

·
Kristy
10,422 Posts
No suggestions except to go to the GRCA.org website and look at the clubs listed to reach out to breeders through club sites or club facebook pages. Continue to periodically remind them that you're around. I wish you luck with your search. It's not easy to find adult goldens, you will probably have to be prepared to wait a while till the right dog becomes available.

·
Kate
22,992 Posts
In search of
LOL. I was trying to figure out what region that was...

@OP - what area are you located? That will help.

Lot of good breeders and rescues out there do not like shipping dogs long distance and won't consider somebody who is out of driving range.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Where are you?
I hear of many available in GA/TN/FL, Sue McGaverick pretty much knows most of the older dogs in OH/KY/NC..
You should realize that until a dog is about 4-5, they typically cost more than a puppy does- there are exceptions, but usually if they have been trained, are well-bred, etc, they are at a premium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We live in Maine and realize we will likely need to travel outside of New England for our Golden. Thank you for all of the recommendations and the beautiful pictures of your fur babies! I hope to share some of our own with all of you!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
438 Posts
My best friend adopted a lovely senior Golden Retriever from Craig ' s List 2 years ago. She stalked Craig's List, Pet Finder, all of the local humane socities, and local Golden Retriever recues. Many of her friends stalked those Web pages for her, too.

It took several months, but she finally found Angel. Angel's previous owner has stayed in contact with my friend, and with Angel. It's been a good situation for all of them.

Best of luck on your search.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts