Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so two nights ago, my wife was laying down on the sofa, because she was tired and my 3.5 month old pup kept nipping at her from the ground (dog not allowed on couch) Like all over. Hair, face, eventually got her armsleeve and kept biting and pulling.

As a wonderful husband that I am (hah.) I separated Bean (puppy), told her no, and tried to redirect her to sit or play with another toy.

She completely disregarded every command and other game I tried to play, and kept going for my wife! In the midst of this, my wife is trying to roll away from her, and here I am pulling Bean off. After about 5-8 times of trying to separate Bean off my wifes arm, Bean started nipping at my hands when I tried to pull her off and then started barking at me.

Part of me at that moment was 'Oh HELL naw you ain't barking at me like that' and I put her in her x-pen to chill out.

Ok 1. does your GR pup yap and throw tantrums like this?
and 2. What do you do in this situation?

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Remember this puppy has no clue what the word no means yet and really discourage saying no anyway. 2nd expecting a golden puppy to go play on his own, well ... that doesn't happen often. They want to engage with their people, playing alone isn't as much fun.
Your pup was speaking puppy and trying to tell you "I want to play with you I've missed you" and no one was listening. They don't know you have had a hard day anymore than a newborn baby understands mom is tired.
This is what puppies do, speak puppy. They're good at it and the only skill they know.
I would have taken the pup in the other room and done some training to teach a new skill or taken them out into the yard for a little leash training or maybe a short walk but if you didn't want to engage with the puppy, put in the crate.
It's just as hard for you to learn how to speak puppy as it is for a puppy to learn to speak people!

·
Registered
602 Posts
OK so two nights ago, my wife was laying down on the sofa, because she was tired and my 3.5 month old pup kept nipping at her from the ground (dog not allowed on couch) Like all over. Hair, face, eventually got her armsleeve and kept biting and pulling.

As a wonderful husband that I am (hah.) I separated Bean (puppy), told her no, and tried to redirect her to sit or play with another toy.

She completely disregarded every command and other game I tried to play, and kept going for my wife! In the midst of this, my wife is trying to roll away from her, and here I am pulling Bean off. After about 5-8 times of trying to separate Bean off my wifes arm, Bean started nipping at my hands when I tried to pull her off and then started barking at me.

Part of me at that moment was 'Oh HELL naw you ain't barking at me like that' and I put her in her x-pen to chill out.

Ok 1. does your GR pup yap and throw tantrums like this?
and 2. What do you do in this situation?
So funny..My 9.5 month old is also Bean(ie)..Beanz for short.
Yes, she is sassy, and yes, she will verbally argue with me when she is bad and gets a time out!
When she emerges from her time out Jail, she is all over me as if to say I'm sorry..that lasts for about 10 minutes and begins anew (a game for her)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My pup is 100% sass. Yesterday he was barking at me for taking too long to get his treat! When that happened I promptly told him "No barking that's rude!" Then I put him in his crate without a treat. He got the message.

·
Registered
13 Posts
YES. Absolutely. We have time-outs in his kennel. He seems to immediately calm down and he really understood after about a week. He gets over-excited and over-playful (extra biting!!) and he goes for a timeout with no treats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts