Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it sounds weird but I was just wondering! Apparently when I'm gone, out of the house or just in my room, my parents watch her and they told me that she sleeps the whole time I'm not there! But when I come back it's like her switch turns on and she's all excited and wants to do something and play! :p:

Is it like that with yours? :wave:

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Exactly. DH says they move from their beds to the window by the front door about 11AM waiting for my lunch arrival and their walk, then again at 4:30 (I believe that is waiting for dinner).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Haha, Just the opposite here. When I walk into the room or come in the door from being gone my dog sits perfectly straight and gives me a innocent smile and my family tells me that he was being sassy and a trouble maker before I came in.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yup. My husband says they sleep all day in their room or our bedroom and as soon as I come in the door they come alive. During my lunch and in the evenings, they are in whatever room I'm in. The boys especially.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Well kind of....I am home all day with my two (work out of my home). I swear Chester can tell time, he knows when his dad (my husband ;-) is about to come home from work and he turns into his lazy day self to a dog that is really to play or sometimes just be a pest. Little brother Murphy is catching on to this as well. So yes they act different but it's for my husband not me.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am the one home with mine all the time but when I am gone they lie by the door waiting for me. Love my boys!

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
When I leave my 2 to go shopping, hubby says they get in the bay window and don't move until the car turns into the road, and then they start getting excited - but they can't see the end of the road from the window, so I don't now how they know

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Yes. When mom stays home with the boys, Riley is always pretty calm. She says that he's usually a bit more clingy, too. He'll play if she initiates it, but for the most part, he just chills.

Gunner is the exact opposite. I guess he's all whiney and fussy the whole time I'm gone and doesn't want to do much of anything but watch for me to come back. He runs to the window every time he hears a car.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
My two are the same more so Daisy she won't leave me alone when i come home all she wants to do is play or get up on my knee :uhoh: and there's not much room left to play but as soon as she gets on my knee that starts Charlie off and then they have a play fight with me in the middle :doh:

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Pretty much the only time they are ever calm is at night when they're sleeping. I have no idea how they can just go and go and go all day long. O_O

·
Registered
820 Posts
Exactly the same here. Dave works from home. He said if it is just him or him and the kids he is just fine. When I come home he is up and ready to play and go crazy.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I set up a webcam a bunch of times to watch the dogs while I am at work... they tend to wrestle around and play with eachother (and sometimes destroy stuff :doh:) in the first hour after I leave the house, then they literally sleep ALL DAY on the couch or floor until I get home. I have no idea how they can possibly sleep 8 hours at night, then wake up for 2 hours and then sleep another 8!! LOL Then when I come home they are wide awake and happy and playful.. until about 9pm when they are ready for bed LOL I have lazy doggies!

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Yes. I think their internal clocks are just set to the times we come home though, because on weekends, they'll want to sleep all day and got crazy at 5 like always.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
it's a bit of an issue at our house, Faith's favoritism i mean.

if hubby is home sick he'd like her to lounge in bed with him like she does for me, but she wants no part of it - she waits downstairs on the couch with her head hanging over the arm so she can watch the door for my return. she's also not that interested in playing with him on those days. he says she'll play a bit, but loses interest quickly and resumes her post to watch for me.

same on a normal night - when he gets home from work she's excited and gives him hugs, etc, but then quickly starts watching the door b/c it means i'll be home soon.

it kills him that from time to time she'll look over at him with this doleful gaze and then let out a big groan as she settles in to watch the front door for me. almost like she's expressing how disappointed she is that it's him that's home and not me.

now, when i get home, i get a dance, lots of roo-roos and she'll have to run and grab something to bring me.

i also always hear from both of her grandma's how nice and calm she is when they babysit, how easy she is. she also lets them sleep until 7 am! little ****! she never lets me sleep past 5:30 or so in the morning.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts

if hubby is home sick he'd like her to lounge in bed with him like she does for me, but she wants no part of it - she waits downstairs on the couch with her head hanging over the arm so she can watch the door for my return. she's also not that interested in playing with him on those days. he says she'll play a bit, but loses interest quickly and resumes her post to watch for me.

same on a normal night - when he gets home from work she's excited and gives him hugs, etc, but then quickly starts watching the door b/c it means i'll be home soon.

it kills him that from time to time she'll look over at him with this doleful gaze and then let out a big groan as she settles in to watch the front door for me. almost like she's expressing how disappointed she is that it's him that's home and not me.

now, when i get home, i get a dance, lots of roo-roos and she'll have to run and grab something to bring me.
I'm very happy both my girls are equal opportunity lovers. They love us both just the same. Well, at least Lucy does. Dory seems to be a little bit more of a Mama's girl right now. She's rather hang out with me when I get ready for work in the mornings that lounge in bed with Bart and Lucy for too long.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

i also always hear from both of her grandma's how nice and calm she is when they babysit, how easy she is. she also lets them sleep until 7 am! little ****! she never lets me sleep past 5:30 or so in the morning.
I think it's because you are the main caretaker of your dog? Molly is a little like Faith. She loves the other members of my familly but she'd rather be with me than anyone else.. Probably because I'm pretty much the only one who plays, feeds, take out on walks, grooms and baths her! My parents occasionally pet and play with her but that's it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts