Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the high unemployment rate, so few new jobs opening up, and such fierce competition for the jobs there are, do you think your employer taking advantage of the situation?

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Absolutely. My company has us so overburdened, we can't possibly keep up. It's a very stressful way to work, always waiting for something to go wrong because you couldn't tend to it the way you should have. I like my job, I can't imagine losing it ... but there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about quitting or wishing I would get fired. Really. I'm not enjoying this at all anymore, I'm worn out.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
When I worked for the University, one of their job qualifications was "familiarity with University policy" meaning it was understood they could do whatever they wanted anytime. And they did! I imagine it's a lot worse now. Back then the general response to any complaint or suggestion was "Be thankful you have a job". Basically: shut up. That attitude can only get worse.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Definitely ...

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
I am a small employer, and let me tell you......it's tough on us too........when it gets tough, I am the first one with NO paycheck to make sure everyone else is taken care of......but still working more hours. I value my Good employees, but this is effecting us all!

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I actually work for a large company who one week is bragging about record profits, and purchasing another company, throughout the year we were 'too busy' and 'much to important' to allow vacations and then wham!! layoffs !! wham !! No raises !! work longer harder smarter. They are starting to lighten up but it is really too late - employees are starting to exit - with or without jobs and it is starting to affect their bottom line.... Folks working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week not getting any recognition is just wrong.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely. My company has us so overburdened, we can't possibly keep up. It's a very stressful way to work, always waiting for something to go wrong because you couldn't tend to it the way you should have. I like my job, I can't imagine losing it ... but there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about quitting or wishing I would get fired. Really. I'm not enjoying this at all anymore, I'm worn out.
This is exactly what I am feeling. I have worked for my agency for almost 20 years and always given my heart and soul to my job. I don't walk, I run! If they say, jump, I am already jumping higher. But they keep adding more and more on (each time saying the new task will only take a few minutes) without removing any of the old job duties to the point where I feel I will crumble or worse, start not caring. Not caring is the very worst place for any relationship to be.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
One of my best friends in my neighborhood actually QUIT her job last March, it got so bad. She was earning enough to support a house and a teen daughter...good money. And she left. It was that or go crazy.

She now works in the same capacity but from home, online.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I think a lot of job satisfaction has to do with the employer's attitude. Whenever I had a good, thoughtful employer I would work my hide off. I knew they were doing the same. We felt like equals: a job to be done, everyone working to get it done.

It's when they start treating people like machines that the problems come up. It isn't so much about hard work or too much work. It's about being treated honestly and with compassion. That's what makes employees good.

I am a small employer, and let me tell you......it's tough on us too........when it gets tough, I am the first one with NO paycheck to make sure everyone else is taken care of......but still working more hours. I value my Good employees, but this is effecting us all!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I am feeling, and I am sure many other older workers feel, is that because the economy is so bad, we don't want to give up our job (no matter how stressful).
One, because we know we will be living longer and so want to try to put away as much as we can for when we finally do retire. Two, because we love to work/make a difference and work gives our lives added richness and meaning. But, as much as the above two reasons, Three, because we are afraid our children will not be able to find jobs and support themselves, so we want to be financially solvent enough to help them through the rough times (and frankly, I feel the worst is not over yet).

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Oh definitely. The restaurant Gary and I both worked at for several years (and were both fired from) is absolutely terrible. They know they can replace someone ASAP so if you do one thing wrong or they don't like you (that was our case, along with a large handful of friends... Almost everyone we were buddies with has been fired from there) they will fire you and replace you. It's disgusting to me, personally. They also brag about how much money they bring in (huge, popular restaurant here, in a touristy town) but then we don't get raises, crap for hours, etc. They treat their employees like dirt. Gary was fired because he didn't bring someone their iced tea fast enough and they complained. Yeah.

Anyway, we're both out of there now and have been for a while and are so much happier because of it!! That place was very good at sucking the soul out of you.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I work for our family's business (just started working there 4 years ago). I can honestly say that we don't treat anyone badly! My dad went almost a year and a half with no paycheck so that no employees needed to be let go when things were tight. We've actually hired some extra folks in the last year because, thankfully, things have turned around for us.

I will say, all of us are really cutting costs wherever we can. I was appalled at the money being thrown away when I was hired. I am in charge of shipping and just a couple of months after I was hired, I sent out an email explaining the cost differences in the different methods of mailing. Suddenly, overnight packages were not longer being sent. Before that, every single sales person would wait until the last minute and then have to overnight something at a cost of $25-35 domestically and in the hundreds of dollars internationally.

Just because things are turning around revenue-wise doesn't mean the crazy spending has to keep on going on.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think running a tight ship always makes business sense. What I don't think is productive is asking for so much to be done that an employee has to work 10 or more hours over their normal working hours and telling them not to write down they have worked over.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Ive worked for the same company for 34 years. Ive not had a raise in 3 years.

My company remains profitable. I am thankful for a job and try not to be to skeptical of their decisions about pay increases. Maybe Im an old fool.... however I would rather not be out looking for a job. Suppose they know that?

Our stock dividends remain paying well however.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think running a tight ship always makes business sense. What I don't think is productive is asking for so much to be done that an employee has to work 10 or more hours over their normal working hours and telling them not to write down they have worked over.
Oh, I totally agree! Our company would never do that. If we can't pay overtime, then the employees get comp time to make up for the time worked.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My new director told us "there is no more comp time" and it just sometimes happens that you have to work more than you get paid for (but that it was illegal for us to write those hours on our timesheet as comp time)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
One thing I am feeling, and I am sure many other older workers feel, is that because the economy is so bad, we don't want to give up our job (no matter how stressful). QUOTE]

I officially retired in 2005....feeling comfortable that I would find "something" when I wanted, which I did. In today economy, I'd still be there...blocking the way for younger workers to advance.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts