Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Is this the right dog for us? Puppy or Adult?

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  dborgers 
#1 ·
Hello!! So glad I found this, because we are planning to add a dog to our family in the next few months, and are trying to decide if a Golden is right for us. We are not totally new to dogs, we have had 2 in the past, but both were small mutts that we adopted when they were 10 and 11, respectively, so they needed zero training, and little more than a warm place to sleep and people to hang out with LOL. We are a young active family, it is me, my husband, and our 2 kids, ages 5 and almost 2. Planning to add at least one more (human!) child down the line. I work mostly from home, with the exception of some appointments (realtor). We are usually home, sometimes in and out for errands/soccer/gymnastics/etc. We also have 2 cats. Currently renting, in the process of buying a home, the home we buy will probably be about 2000 square feet and have a yard, but in this area, they are not huge. This is my first concern. The yards range from .15 acres to maybe .30 acres. Pretty tiny! But we would like a large, somewhat sturdy, dog. Does a Golden need a larger yard than this??

Here are my main questions:

Yard/House size needed?

Amount of exercise needed? (Planning on as much fetch/romping with kids in the yard as possible, probably one walk/jog each day...how long?? ALso very excited to do the dog park thing =)

How tolerant do they tend to be with young kids? (We do teach our kids to be respectful of animals, but the occasional ear or tail pull sometimes is hard to avoid =)

Those that have them, how terrible is the shedding? Is it year round? No allergies or anything, but EVERY time I tell someone we are thinking about a golden they always say "OH GOD the SHEDDING!"

Will they bark or alert you at all if someone comes to the house? We are NOT looking for some kind of aggressive guard dog, LOL, but I would sort of like the (relative) peace of mind that comes with knowing you have a dog that would bark at least sound (a little) scary if someone came up. My husband works nights, so this would be a bit comforting....again, NOT expecting or wanting a dog that is actually mean, just one that could alert and maybe SOUND a little mean. LOL

Finally, what age would you recommend? Puppy? Teenager? Adult? We have done the geriatric dog thing twice now and definitely want to go younger this time, just not sure how young?

I know this was long, thank you if you made it this far!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!!! I'll answer your questions in the quote box (easiest way on my phone lol)

Does a Golden need a larger yard than this??

*** No, that's a good size, as long as they are able to run around and play they will be good. ***

Yard/House size needed?

*** They say they can handle even apartment life as long as they get enough exercise. ***

Amount of exercise needed? (Planning on as much fetch/romping with kids in the yard as possible, probably one walk/jog each day...how long?? ALso very excited to do the dog park thing =)

*** You sound like the perfect family, active, for a golden. They vary but most require a lot of exercise. If they don't get enough they will get bored and destructive. ***

How tolerant do they tend to be with young kids? (We do teach our kids to be respectful of animals, but the occasional ear or tail pull sometimes is hard to avoid =)

*** Obviously they should be supervised, but a trained adult golden would be great for kids. I say adult because puppies are VERY mouthy and are notorious for nipping and chasing and playing rough, especially with their littermates (i.e. Your kids) ***

Those that have them, how terrible is the shedding? Is it year round? No allergies or anything, but EVERY time I tell someone we are thinking about a golden they always say "OH GOD the SHEDDING!"

*** Yes. The shedding is as bad as everyone says. They shed yearly and have an extra bad shed (called "blowing their coat") usually twice a year. With daily brushing and grooming it can be managed. ***

Will they bark or alert you at all if someone comes to the house? We are NOT looking for some kind of aggressive guard dog, LOL, but I would sort of like the (relative) peace of mind that comes with knowing you have a dog that would bark at least sound (a little) scary if someone came up. My husband works nights, so this would be a bit comforting....again, NOT expecting or wanting a dog that is actually mean, just one that could alert and maybe SOUND a little mean. LOL

*** Mine didn't bark to alert me until they were older, but yes, most will. Like you said, it won't be a very good guard dog but it should make a decent alert dog. ***

Finally, what age would you recommend? Puppy? Teenager? Adult? We have done the geriatric dog thing twice now and definitely want to go younger this time, just not sure how young?

*** With the ages you said, I would go for either an adult or a teenager... A teen can still be naughty but they're usually out of their land shark phase. ***

Hope I could help!! :)

#4 ·
Thank you so much!!! Especially for doing it from your phone, that is twice the hassle, LOL!!! Your input definitely helped a lot, I feel more confident now, especially about the yard thing!

"Alert Dog" is exactly the phrase I was searching for! :)

I wasn't that excited about doing the puppy thing, anyway, LOL!!!!

#6 ·
Ohhh yeah! 99% of goldens love swimming! I say that as I've never met one didn't like it, but I'm sure they're out there. Lol...

As for the snow, that's hit or miss. We have one that LOVES it (she will roll in it, dig in it, eat it) and one that HATES it (he's in and out as fast as he can lol) :)

#8 ·
You already got some great answers but I wanted to add that my last golden Spiffy was a fantastic alert dog. He would bark if he saw someone outside/heard something unusual, etc. My parents have a toy poodle that barks at ANYTHING, so you can never tell if there's actually something outside or not with her. Spiffy wasn't this way at all, if he barked you knew there was someone outside or he heard something highly unusual, he didn't just bark for barking's sake.

Now he was sweet as can be and would have made a terrible guard dog, but he was a great alert dog! My current baby Huck hasn't started that yet but I feel like he'll grow into the role of letting me know when someone or something's outside. - We'll see anyway! :D

#10 ·
Thanks! HE is adorable, BTW! My Aunt has a GR and he is a GREAT alert dog, but I wasn't sure if he was a complete exception or not. Of course, once someone is actually INSIDE, he is covering them with kisses, LOL. (Which is just what we want).

As far as the shedding goes, any tips, anyone? Any ways to contain it at all? It isn't a huge issue, but just wondering. Just brushing help? What about haircuts?

#13 ·
You should invest in a good undercoat rake. They're actually not too expensive. They are AMAZING. You will brush out enough fur to make another dog LOL. Using that once or twice a week and then a regular pin brush every day will cut down on the tumbleweeds.

Also, NEVER brush dry. Always spritz some water on their coat before brushing.

Investing in a good dryer would also help, blowing their coat dry will blow out loose fur. Bathing often helps as well. We do once a month.

#17 ·
Your golden will be your next best friend. They are very loyal and will make you smile every day. They deserve to be a part of your wonderful family. But the question is are you ready for another child (albeit furry) in the house?

If you try to lock any dog away in the back yard they are likely bark and destroy your garden and become your worst night mare. If they are allowed to share their lives with you they become settled and will love to chill out with you. My two are just quite content to lounge around with me at the moment because they are used to having access to all areas.

No matter which breed you get IMHO the size of the house or the back yard is irrelevant. The size of your bed is more critical:p

*** The question should be how often are you really willing to walk this social dog?*** (One walk a day sounds great! )

I personally avoid dog parks at one of my dogs was bitten there. Many years later I tried it again to find another dog humping my dog which he did not appreciate even though the owner was watching. Dog parks are a good place to avoid unless they are empty.

The shedding is something that I am quite happy to overlook since I find that is a small price to pay for their sunny personality. All pets (apart from fish) shed hair.

Goldens can bark at the door and sound quite fierce. Their sheer size is also enough to put some people off. Of course they have never hurt anyone and greet people with a sunny smile that tries to win our guests over.

You must be ready at all times to protect and defend your dog even during times when you are busy or distracted. Just as you would be ready to protect your next child. Having said this goldens are very tolerant and forgiving.

I personally would opt for an older dog that would not be so interested in chewing your child's toys. Large dogs tend to be chewers. However it is most important that you get a dog with the right health checks - eyes, hips, etc. The last thing you need to deal with is premature medical issues. Getting your golden from a reputable breeder will give you the best chance of the sweet and tolerant temperament that goldens are known for.

I think that you have asked some great questions. Adding a fur child to your family is a big responsibility but they are even more so rewarding. Ideally you should wait until you find your house but from what you have said I do think that a golden is right for you if you allow them to be a part of your family and you keep them engaged. I hate hearing that dogs are locked outside as soon as children enter the house. Goldens love to be with their family and where they belong.

It was one of the best decisions we ever made, so much so that we got another one. :D Beware they are like cookies it is difficult to stop at one. :p

#19 ·
Thank you! Especially for the dog park tip, we will keep that in mind!!! Love the bed comment, our other two dogs we had in the past always slept on our bed :) For the first week it was "No, the dog is sleeping in it's own bed." and then.... :p: LOL.

This actually leads to another question...I plan/assume that our dog will pretty much be where we are....so probably, inside witht he kids and I during the day, some time spent in the yard playing, and a walk or jog. And then sleep inside at night. As long as they are getting a walk/jog and some playtime outside at some point, is a Golden going to go stir crazy inside with people during the day? Also will have plenty of toys/chews!

#23 ·
Oh that would be the PERFECT age I think!! They still have the fun energy for playing with the kids, but they have control of their brains enough not to drive you absolutely nuts! :D

I was introduced to this site when my first pup (Mojo) was five months old. I DEFINITELY could have used it when he was younger... but I'm still so thankful for GRF!

This place is addicting though, so just beware. ;)

#24 ·
You have gotten great advice so far, and honestly, judging from your responses a golden should fit right in. As far as shedding goes, it does vary from dog to dog. I can say I have never gotten s much fur out of Tucker in one session as MssJnnfer, ever. We also take Tucker to be groomed every 8 weeks, so that likely helps keep it down. You will be fine if you love khaki and don't wear black. :). Seriously! My kids were 8 and 12 when we got Tucker as a pup. Yes, he was a handful, and he totally viewed the kids as littermates. But after about a week, he stopped viewing my oldest that way, but my youngest took a good 6 weeks before Tucker stopped nipping at him. Getting an older dog can get you out of this phase, but realize that you may also be getting an undisciplined rambunctious young dog that is going to need some training and discipline to settle into the gentle well adjusted dogs you see. Just make sure you are planning on doing obedience school. Tucker has pretty much been in obedience classes year round (with occasionally a month or 2 off between classes) since he was 10 weeks. He is a therapy dog now, but we realize he needs to be doing something or he gets restless. Going as a family is a great way to bond with your dog, and if you are fortunate like we were with our trainer, they will use your kids in class which your kids will love! For example, our kids were treat dispensers to some of the dogs in class that were not used to kids and were also used as distractions while we were teaching our dogs to hold their stays. It really taught them how to act around dogs, and I will be forever grateful for our instructor for taking the time to make them part of the class.

#25 ·
Is a Golden going to go stir crazy inside with people during the day? Also will have plenty of toys/chews!

Our dogs choose to stay indoors even though they have the option of going out. They actually follow me from room to room so they will want to be where ever you are.My boy is one and a half and a pure delight. He likes to play at happy hour though - at about sunset but other than that he likes to snooze and keep an eye on me.

By the way after lots of research most people say that a boy is more cuddlier and interactive. My girl is sweet and full of personality but she is a bit more independent and more of a diva.

#26 ·
Though I adore my girl, if I had kids I would stick to a male. I think in all breeds the girls are more independent and a bit more headstrong. Males, seem to live for their families and are goofy and can be quite the clowns. In a previous thread Tippykayak said females are Love Me, Love Me...Males - Love You!..Love You!. We are finding this very true.

Would also suggest a year old to older pup. Young pups are definately a handful! Many breeders have older pups who for whatever reason didn't make their cut. You have the benefit of missing the Land Shark stage, but still have a pup to work with. Classes, classes and more classes! They are so much fun, cost very little and can include the whole family. You learn how your dog thinks and sets them up for a much more happy life when they know what is expected.

The shedding is honestly not a problem except for the two major sheds a year and honestly if you brush them daily it is over in no time. Must confess I don't wear black anymore and try to keep lint brush in the car and at my desk at the office but it also depends on the coat, since goldens with heavy coats will shed much more than lighter coats.

But the golden is just about the best family dog in the world to me. Ours go everywhere with us, adapt to what we are doing, love all people and because we work hard at socializing, are very tollerant with other dogs. These are our 4th goldens, and have not changed our thinking they are the best. Think you will never regret your decision of adding a golden to your lives and hearts. Just keep them with you, they do not like being away from family. Think of him/her as your "hairy" kid and love him/her just as you would your human children.

#27 ·
I have a Golden from field lines and just rescued a seven year old not from field lines. I have to admit Dakota, who is the field line one, sheds much less. However, her energy level is sky high. She's eighteen months old and never stops moving. If she lays down for more than five minutes we're all looking at her to make sure nothing is wrong. Remember though, every dog is different. This is my experience with my specific dog. Personally, I would reccommend not getting a field bred Golden if you are looking for a more laid back dog who will be quiet and mostly active when you are.

As another person said, if you can bath and blow dry the coat with a hair dryer, it blows the dead hair out. I have a smaller air force dryer. You do have to train the dog to the sound and feel of a dryer. You have kids, teach them to brush the dog outside once a day. *G* I used to give a brush to each of my boys years ago when I had a rough collie. Deja would stand there the epitome of patience while the boys brushed her. They made up their own contest of who could fill a plastic bag with more hair.

We have four Goldens here, my two at my house and two at my son and daughter-in-law's who live at the back of my property. Dakota lives for water. After being spayed she had to be walked on a leash to keep her from lying down and rolling in puddles. Katie, the new rescue, likes to stand in the kiddie pool to drink outside. My son's dogs are not so water crazy. Avita will go into the lake to fetch only. She refuses to get her feet wet in the kiddie pool Dakota lives in. KC, their fourteen year old Golden will have nothing to do with the lake or water. Water is for drinking, that's it. Her dainty paws should never be even damp.

#28 · (Edited)
You've had great answers here. I agree with everything the others have said.

Here's my two cents:

Goldens are wonderful dogs. It's hard to go wrong. They are great family dogs. One that is bred true to standard will not likely react badly to the occasional tail pull. The ones I know, including my own, are endlessly patient.

It definitely sounds like an older dog would be better. Puppies are a TON of work, and can be quite a challenge with little kids. They are definitely mouthy, and young pups have very sharp teeth. And housetraining is practically a fulltime job for the first few weeks.

The shedding? Well, I have a dog from field lines (she is darker, smaller, and doesn't have a huge undercoat). There is definitely fur. Everywhere. But it's not over the top. I brush regularly - but I also don't wear work clothes around my house. I walk in and change. If the idea of finding fur in your kids' food grosses you out, maybe hold off. Because your Golden will also quickly learn it is very smart to be near kids who are eating. :p: But really, except when my girl is blowing her coat (which has only happened 2-3 times in her 11 years), it's not so bad.

Exercise? I have a very high energy dog, who needed 3 hours of exercise a day until she was about 5. But she didn't live in a noisy, busy house with kids, either. That does provide extra stimulation, for sure. But a good, well behaved dog does require good exercise - running, playing, swimming for a good hour a day, plus lots of play with your kids, should be fine. Don't worry about your yard size - as long as you take the dog to run somewhere, your dog would be fine.

I think a Golden would be the best dog for you. But I may be a bit biased... :wave:

ETA Forgot the barking question. Mine doesn't bark. She never has. But I think it is almost learned behaviour. I don't jump and run to the door if the doorbell rings, so she doesn't either. It was the result of teaching calm comings and goings. The only time she ever barked - and she barked a LOT - was when I had two broken wrists and was in two casts. She barked if anyone came near me, if anyone walked past our house, if anyone walked by when we were sitting out on the patio. It was sort of cool.

#29 ·
Most posters have just about covered everything, just adding my opinions to your questions (in BOLD)...

Hello!! So glad I found this, because we are planning to add a dog to our family in the next few months, and are trying to decide if a Golden is right for us. We are not totally new to dogs, we have had 2 in the past, but both were small mutts that we adopted when they were 10 and 11, respectively, so they needed zero training, and little more than a warm place to sleep and people to hang out with LOL. We are a young active family, it is me, my husband, and our 2 kids, ages 5 and almost 2. Planning to add at least one more (human!) child down the line. I work mostly from home, with the exception of some appointments (realtor). We are usually home, sometimes in and out for errands/soccer/gymnastics/etc. We also have 2 cats. Currently renting, in the process of buying a home, the home we buy will probably be about 2000 square feet and have a yard, but in this area, they are not huge. This is my first concern. The yards range from .15 acres to maybe .30 acres. Pretty tiny! But we would like a large, somewhat sturdy, dog. Does a Golden need a larger yard than this??

Yard/House size needed? We've had both and the dogs were happy either way but having no/small yard just takes more planning and involvement on your part.

Amount of exercise needed? (Planning on as much fetch/romping with kids in the yard as possible, probably one walk/jog each day...how long?? ALso very excited to do the dog park thing =) The old saying "a tired dog is a good dog" is very true for a Golden. They love activity and tend to get into trouble when bored.

How tolerant do they tend to be with young kids? (We do teach our kids to be respectful of animals, but the occasional ear or tail pull sometimes is hard to avoid =) Very tolerant especially if they've been brought up with kids. Our daughter was 9 y.o. when we got our first Golden and our granddaughter (she lives here) was 4 y.o. when we got Hank. Poor Hank, he gets earring clipped on his ears, necklaces around his neck and even was standing in princess high heels one day ;). Not very manly!

Those that have them, how terrible is the shedding? Is it year round? No allergies or anything, but EVERY time I tell someone we are thinking about a golden they always say "OH GOD the SHEDDING!" Yes, they shed a lot but no more than any other dog. But remember, Golden hair is long/soft and tends to collect as dust elephants, much easier to vacuum up than short hair that stick in everything

Will they bark or alert you at all if someone comes to the house? We are NOT looking for some kind of aggressive guard dog, LOL, but I would sort of like the (relative) peace of mind that comes with knowing you have a dog that would bark at least sound (a little) scary if someone came up. My husband works nights, so this would be a bit comforting....again, NOT expecting or wanting a dog that is actually mean, just one that could alert and maybe SOUND a little mean. LOL Both of mine were/are very good watch dogs. I've had UPS drivers throw the box on the porch and run.

Finally, what age would you recommend? Puppy? Teenager? Adult? We have done the geriatric dog thing twice now and definitely want to go younger this time, just not sure how young? Both of mine came to us as puppies but Golden puppies are a lot of work and stay puppies for almost 2 years. It will be like adding another toddler to your family. Golden puppies are very mouthy & rough. Puppy will think of your kids as littermates and want to nip and wrestle. They also like to 'bulldoze' so the kids need to be watchful when playing in the yard.

#30 ·
I really can't thank you all enough for taking the time to answer my questions and be so welcoming about it! I have a feeling I will spend a lot of time here especially when we do get a dog!

And thank you for the male vs female input! We were leaning toward male anyway, now I think we are almost certain, unless we end up totally falling in love with a female, I guess.

I thought of another question...well...a couple more, LOL:p:

Once or twice a week, instead of our usual one or two miles, we like to do a 3-5 mile (ish) run/jog...is this going to be too far for a Golden? (Not a big deal but it would be fun to include him/her!)

If you adopt through a rescue, which is what we would probably like to do, are the dogs usually health screened? How sure can you be that you are getting a healthy (for the long term) dog? I have heard they are prone to a few breed problems, and being large dogs, I assume they are prone to the usual hip/joint issues? What should we be looking for, health wise?

#31 ·
Mamalamb, how exciting to be adding a furry family member! Just a head's up on going through a rescue with your kids being so young. Many rescues won't adopt to folks with children under 8 (sometimes 10, others use 6) because they have history of adopters returning the dog because "it bit my child". If your little ones are playing ball, most goldens will want to play, too, and he/she may steal the ball from a little one's hands. For novice dog owners, even that can consistute "a bite". So, don't be surprised if a local golden rescue turns you down simply because your children are young. If that happens, don't be discouraged. Your local shelter may get goldens in; you can often put in a breed request form at your local shelters and humane societies, so you are called when a golden comes in. You can check Craigslist; it's astounding how many lovely dogs are given up for the most ridiculous of reasons. I read one ad where the dog was being rehomed because the lady bought new furniture and the dog hair color no longer matched the furniture!!!!

I just thought you should know that going through a rescue is not a slam dunk when you have young children. There are also good breeders who periodically get one of their older pups returned and then look to find them a forever home. Breeders get to make their own calls about very young children, so that's often a really great place to start.

#32 ·
Thanks for the rescue info! I didn't know you could put in a breed request at a shelter, that's great! Craigslist kills me, too, (I browse the pet section a lot) I see so many people getting rid of their dogs because "we moved/We have to move"...I do not get that AT ALL????? Are they leaving behind their kids, too???? OK rant over LOL

Any tips on what we should be looking for in a dog we find on CL or at a shelter?

#33 ·
Another route you could try is getting in touch with a breeder - a good one. Talk to him or her, talk about your concerns with taking on a baby puppy. They will probably (if they are good, by which I mean breed only dogs with health clearances for heart, hips, eyes, and ... what is the other one??, and breed only to advance the betterment of the breed) appreciate your honesty and concerns, and may be an excellent source for an older dog.

Also - if you don't mind a longer wait, usually service dog training organizations have wait lists for "failed" service dogs - who are adults, impeccably trained and socialized, but may just be easily distracted, or timid in traffic or crowds, or unable to control an eating urge around food - all of which would make them poor service dogs but excellent house pets!

#34 ·
Lots of good replies here! My two cents...

My family and I have lived in rented apartments since we got our Golden at a year old, and he does fine. It does take a bit more effort to meet his needs, but I think it's worth it.

When Gerry was younger we used doggie daycare a lot as an alternative to dog parks, and because we didn't want to leave him alone for hours. Now that he's 9, we can make do with 3-4 shorter walks per day, but he still goes occasionally, mostly to give him a chance to socialize with other dogs.

As others have said, training is great for mentally tiring a dog out. I did basic and intermediate obedience with my dog, plus a CGC class and various dog sports (agility, obedience, field). We'll never compete in anything, but it's fun, we bond, and I have a better-behaved dog.

We also use indoor games. For instance, instead of getting food in a bowl, we hide a couple of stuffed Kongs around the apartment or toss some kibble down the hall whenever we go somewhere. Gerry loves it when we get ready to leave in the morning. :)

About getting an older dog: I've worked at a municipal animal shelter & a vet's office. If you get a dog from a shelter, rescue, or Craigslist/Petfinder, you might give some thought to paying a professional trainer to evaluate the dog for you. People aren't always honest about what problems their dog might have, many of which won't be readily apparent. A good trainer can help give you a better idea of what you might have to deal with, sort of like taking a used car to a mechanic before you buy. It's not foolproof, but I believe it can help make a better match.

I'm afraid of sounding paranoid here, but we had a bad experience with adopting a dog-aggressive St. Bernard & wound up having to euthanize him after several years of management/training. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. The shelter folks meant well, but weren't so great at performing temperament tests, & I fell for a pretty face. If I had had a more experienced person there, I could have saved myself a heartbreak.

Yikes, sorry for the book. :eek: All of the above is, of course, just my opinion. I wish you luck in finding your perfect dog! :wave:

-Meghan

#35 ·
Goldens are the most loving and tolerant dogs on Earth.

Brush them, feed them well, love on 'em, make sure they get exercise. They're angels.

We've adopted 4 goldens ranging in ages from 1 or 2 years old (our current golden, Andy) to approx. 6 years old to seniors. All of them were the best dogs you could ever hope for. Like movie dogs. Just perfect. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.