Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was wondering if this is lack of brushing, health, or just spay coat. He was neutered june last year when he was a bit older than a year. He gets brushed 2 to 3 times a week and we live where it's been in the 100s. Charlie has this weird fluffy undercoat going on that Matts so easily. He rolls on the carpet and then feels like a well loved stuffed animal on his back legs. Is there a fix for spay coat? I brush him with a metal comb. I used to use furminater but I felt like it might have been making his hind legs feel fryed. Hes never been shaved there or had a hair cut there.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,185 Posts
it might be some loose undercoat that needs to be removed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I was wondering if this is lack of brushing, health, or just spay coat. He was neutered june last year when he was a bit older than a year. He gets brushed 2 to 3 times a week and we live where it's been in the 100s. Charlie has this weird fluffy undercoat going on that Matts so easily. He rolls on the carpet and then feels like a well loved stuffed animal on his back legs. Is there a fix for spay coat? I brush him with a metal comb. I used to use furminater but I felt like it might have been making his hind legs feel fryed. Hes never been shaved there or had a hair cut there.
Hello! I have a 3 1/2 year old female AKC registered GR. I allowed her to have 2 heat cycles and decided to spay her after that, and only after conferring that the growth plates were closed (right before 2 years of age). Shortly thereafter, I noticed the same change in hair growth as you did on Charlie. My dog looks very similar to yours, and does have a lot of it on her hindquarters, forelegs and behind the ears. I too thought it was the undercoat, or something I was doing wrong with my grooming. I live in San Diego. While running an Agility trial in Monterrey last year, I had the pleasure of meeting with her breeder who's litters are very well respected in the breeding community. She immediately said that it was "spay coat" and explained how this sometimes happens when the breed is altered. While it doesn't display all of her silky golden soft coat, I've come to adjust to it as being "my dog's special fur". I thought that it only occurred in spayed females, but now I know it affects neutered males too. I have my dog professionally groomed every 6 weeks, and the groomer will trim the cottony stuff with the clippers and makes it less noticeable. In between grooming, I will use a ferminator type tool to gently trim those areas.

·
Kristy
9,472 Posts
There is a lot of controversy here, as many people haven't reported coat changes in altered animals...

The photos on the leg, the pale, flossy undercoat is definitely spay coat. All the undercoat pokes out and is horrible about matting if you let it get too long. This happened to my male rough collie and it's just awful. I don't know that it's controversial - it may not happen to all dogs but it is a big problem for Goldens and thank you for posting the article, I was interested to see the other breeds listed. It's one more thing to convince me that neutering/spaying dogs needs to be done with very careful consideration to the consequences to the animal. I think it's incredibly interesting.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Oh spay coat is definitely a thing. My girl grows enough to card, spin, and make a sweater. My boy only grows it on his upper thighs, below his hips.
All that stuff in her shoulders is spay coat.
By the way, she was spayed after she turned two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,088 Posts
There is, here is an undercoat rake, it's not exactly like the one I have, mine is really old. I've had it for many years.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The undercoat rake pulls out mostly the undercoat and leaves most of the guard hair (outercoat) intact. The metal comb is more likely to pull out everything if you're not careful. I spray the coat with a coat spray or water to wet the hair a little bit, then first use the undercoat rake. Then I go over everything again with the comb to finish. You will have less broken hair if you keep the hair damp while you brush/comb. I also use a pin brush to brush through the coat (misting it first) a few times a week to keep the coat looking nice.

Reactions: Megora

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is a lot of controversy here, as many people haven't reported coat changes in altered animals :) However, there are a few articles that discuss some of the changes due to removing the sex hormones. This article has some pictures on page 5 showing the before and after in an animal that was neutered.

I truly believe in this article, I wish I can find a way to get my body on this GnRH treatment that they talk on this article because after he got neutered his beautiful coat changed and is definitely not as beautiful as it used to be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts