Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Is this normal?

567 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Ardeagold 
#1 ·
Sherman's BFF Diesel was over today and they played pretty hard in the backyard. They generally wrestle and chase each other. Toward the end of the playdate, we noticed a bit of blood on both dogs but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Usually it is Diesel (he's a short haired bully mix and they play quite rough). After Diesel left, I was brushing Sherm and noticed a small cut on his side.

They're about the same size (Sherm is actually a bit bigger) and they're both well socialized neutered males. Is it normal that they occasionally draw blood while they're playing? Or is it not okay that they play that rough? Sherm seems to play differently w/all his friends, he and his boxer friend mostly run, he and the female golden up the street mostly wrestle while lying down, and he and Diesel just play hard and rough.

I never heard him yelp (I was outside w/him the whole time) or anything so I don't think it really hurt him, I just want to make sure their play is appropriate...

#2 ·
A handful of times I have noticed a small scab on either of my dogs... They do play very rough with eachother, and as they both have a mouth full of teeth, it shouldn't be surprising that once in a while one may bite the other a bit too hard and break the skin. As long as you don't see anything worse than normal roughhousing play between them, and one dog doesn't appear to be bullying the other and both take turns being the "aggressor", I wouldn't worry about a little cut from a rough play session.

#3 ·
I will say though to watch the cut and make sure it doesn't become a hot spot if he realizes the cut's there and tries to nurse it by licking it to death. Keep the area clean to avoid any infection and make sure it forms a little scab. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.