Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is long so here goes... Mia is 15 weeks old today and we've been feeding her Purina Pro Plan since we got her on November 9th.

The breeder was feeding them Purina Puppy Chow. We didn't do a slow transition of foods since we didn't want to keep her on Puppy Chow longer than that. Mia had soft stools for the first few days (which we expected), but then got better. Her stools have been normal since then and she poops about 2-3 times a day.

We started puppy kindergarten classes 2 Sundays ago (so she's had 2 classes so far) and they told us to bring soft treats since the regular kibble we use to train her at home won't do to get the puppies attention. So she got some soft treats at both classes (Bil-Jac and Authority) and I gave her some one of the days during the week in between classes because she was being bad with the drop-it (of my clothes), so I wanted to get her attention.

She also usually gets two tablespoons of plain yogourt with her regular food once a day and we've given her peanut butter on the Kong almost every day... and she's had some mini carrots on occasion (but I ran out last week, so she hasn't had any since).

Anyways, the night after the 2nd class (so from this past Sunday to Monday) her stools are soft and it's like diarrhea. She goes more often then usual (maybe 5-6 times a day), but doesn't go in the house, she can still hold it and asks for the door.

Also, Mia got her last set of shots on Monday, and this was already happening, but we thought at the time that it was the treats that were upsetting her stomach, so the vet still gave Mia her shots. We told him about it before.

Well, things didn't improve, so yesterday I called the vet for advice and he said to go pick up some cans of Medi-Cal Gastro Formula (made by Royal Canin) and some meds they prescribed called Diarsanyl which we're to give to her twice a day for 5 days, and the cans of food we're to give instead of her regular kibble until Friday and then call them to let them know how it's going. We're supposed to give her one can a day (they're 14 oz cans).

I asked them if she shouldn't be getting her stools tested and they said that it wasn't necessary because they tested them on November 10th....

1) Couldn't she have gotten something since then?
2) Is this normal that they just assume it's the food (which I don't think it is) or treats?

She's sniffed and tried to eat things at Petsmart when they tell us to go in the store to practice some things (which I don't feel comfortable with since she didn't have all her shots yet). And she eats snow on a regular basis in the backyard (I try to stop her, but my fiancé doesn't think it's a big deal so he doesn't try as hard to stop her).

Am I worrying too much? And could Mia all of a sudden be "intolerant" to her kibble when all was going well before??

I can't give her any kibble or treats, so it's making the training of things she's having a hard time with (like drop-it, off the couch and don't go after the kitties) difficult...

Any advice, suggestions, ideas would be appreciated. Sorry this was so long.

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add to this long story of mine... I'm worried that because Mia is not getting as much food as usual, that she'll lose weight and that it will affect her development... would that happen so quickly?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Well, I agree the doctors assessment doesn't seem to make sense....so many things can cause diarreha and I would think that kibble wouldn't be the issue.

Some others here have had experience with Gardia and other bacteria type issues and perhaps they have some insite.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I would get another vet opinion if I were you. I agree he should check her stools.
Maybe even blood tests for any other possibilities.

Does she act fine other than her diarrhea?

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
For a pup fed kibble, it's somewhat normal. At least I found it was. Bender was my last 'kibble dog', she was on and off of kibble for her first year. I got tired of the runs and switched to raw for good, she hasn't had a problem since. She's 11 and I don't think she's had the runs for years, even with eating some 'interesting' raw meals.

She was treated for bacteria/parasites and it didn't seem to make a difference, she still would get the runs quite often. Some of her littermates were allergic to chicken based kibble and had to switch, I think the littermates that are still alive are all on raw and have been for years. All of her littermates with allergy issues to kibble started having problems in the first year or two.

If you check on www.dogfoodanalysis.com it lists different kibbles and reviews the ingredients, it might help you figure out if another kibble would work better for you. Yogurt is a good thing to add for the probiotics, or you can get capsules too. I used to make up a mix of yogurt, cooked white rice, chopped raw liver and canned pumpkin (equal'ish' parts of each) and feed a tablespoon at a time with water and gradually increase as things settled down (it got to the point where fasting for 24 hours each time there was a 'blowout' was causing her to not eat more days than she did eat) - the vet actually took that idea and used it.

Hang in there, I don't envy you! Poor girlie...

Lana

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She seems to be acting normal other than the diarrhea...

I'll have to do a search to find another vet in this area.

The emergency one is very expensive and our funds are getting a little low, with Christmas and the ultrasound we had to get for Mia, etc... but if I have to, then I'll go to the emergency one.. do you think it's an emergency or waiting until Friday when the vets are open ok??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lily had many many many bouts of soft stools throughout her first 9 months - with many different causes. I can't offer any specific advice, but I will say that every single one of her (MANY) stool samples came up negative... for everything. I got so frustrated at one point that I had a whole series of blood tests done, including allergies etc. And nothing. Exactly zero things wrong with Lily, and we concluded that 1) she has a sensitive tummy; 2) she is puppy and gets in to things (even though we are super vigilent!); and 3) she would grow out of it.

We are *very* careful with Lily's training treats - as a few of the ones we used during puppy training gave her the runs. We recommend Cloud Star and Wellness Pure Rewards.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I would definitely have her stools checked and maybe get a second opinion from another vet. I don't understand why your vet wouldn't want to get a stool sample. It could be anything. It could even be the treats. I doubt it's the food. Our breeder was also feeding regular Purina Puppy Chow and we immediately changed to the ProPlan Large Breed Puppy as soon as we got Tucker home with no problems at all. When he was on the Puppy Chow, his stools were really soft, but they firmed right up as soon as he started eating the ProPlan and have been that way ever since. Good luck!

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
I had to google Diasanyl because I had never heard of it. It says it is an intestinal protectant to help manage digestive upset, so I would expect to see some results pretty quickly. I would also add some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to the food, unless the vet says no.

I don't think it's the snow or the food, and if this route doesn't help I would find a vet to check for giardia, parasites and the like.

Good luck and keep us posted! Try not to worry too much as long as she is drinking water and eating, she won't waste away!

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it's possible that she develops an intolerance to her kibble even though she was doing fine on it?

I was thinking of gradually switching her to Blue Buffalo for large breed puppies once this bag of her Pro Plan was almost done...

I don't want to jump from one food to the other and back and forth until her stools are normal again... or should I??

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I would definitely hold off on changing the food. This could only cause more stomach upset. Puppies have very sensitive digestive systems.

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the canned pumpkin, not sure if I've seen that at the supermarket... what brands exist? What does it normally say on it? How much do I feed her?

The vet said to giver her the canned food he "gave" us only (Medi-Cal Gastro formula) along with the meds, and nothing else...

I feel bad because Mia is used to eating a lot more than this and I see her poor puppy eyes looking at me like she's saying "where's my food mommy? what did I do wrong?"
(ok.. maybe I'm being a little too sensitive... which happens to me sometimes... oh the joys of being a girl!)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I am not inclined to dismiss the vet's appraisal. The kibble may not have caused the stomach upset but the idea of the switch is to give a very bland diet that will help to let the stomach settle. I would make sure that the other in between gooddies are stopped at this time for the same reason.
As to what caused the upset to begin with is hard to say. She may have picked up something at puppy class, Petsmart, just while on a walk or it could have been one of the new treats you are trying at class. To determine the possiblity of one of the treats once her system is back to normal for a few days try using only one of the treats for a while. If no problem arises after a week or so you can stop that treat than try the other for a week or so. If neither of these cause an upset it woulld be safe to assume it was not either of them that caused the problem.
Unfortunately over the years you will probably experience short buts of this unexplained instances. After a while you will not be as concerned and will deal with it without going to the vet. At least that is what I have done over the years. However if i can notimprove things over a week to 10 days I do then go to the vet.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Libby is a popular brand for canned pumpkin. Look in the baking section of your store, near the spices and pie fillings. Don't get the pie filling !!!!!!! Get the regular canned pumpkin, just the pumpkin ... read your labels ;)

When I was giving Daisy canned pumpkin, I gave her 2 or 3 heaping spoonfuls in with her food. It's worth a shot, it certainly can't hurt.

Good luck, I hate myseteries!!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
So it's possible that she develops an intolerance to her kibble even though she was doing fine on it?

I was thinking of gradually switching her to Blue Buffalo for large breed puppies once this bag of her Pro Plan was almost done...

I don't want to jump from one food to the other and back and forth until her stools are normal again... or should I??
Definetly don't switch foods till you know for sure that is the problem.

For the canned pumpkin, not sure if I've seen that at the supermarket... what brands exist? What does it normally say on it? How much do I feed her?

The vet said to giver her the canned food he "gave" us only (Medi-Cal Gastro formula) along with the meds, and nothing else...

I feel bad because Mia is used to eating a lot more than this and I see her poor puppy eyes looking at me like she's saying "where's my food mommy? what did I do wrong?"
(ok.. maybe I'm being a little too sensitive... which happens to me sometimes... oh the joys of being a girl!)
I would follow the vet's recommendation 100% at this time and hold off on anything else. If that doesn't work and you want to try some other suggestions that is fine. I promise you she will not starve and her system needs to take it easy. I bet if you looked at her when she was eating her normal food and amounnt you would have seen the exact same look on her face. And trust me, it has nothing to do with you being a girl. :no:

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice Hank. I will continue with only the canned food the vet gave us and the meds. I did stop everything else since I picked that up last night.

And I'll try re-introducing the treats slowly one at a time to see if they are ok for her tummy. We were going to do this anyway :)

So glad this forum exists! Certainly really helps newbies like me!! :p:

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Libby is a popular brand for canned pumpkin. Look in the baking section of your store, near the spices and pie fillings. Don't get the pie filling !!!!!!! Get the regular canned pumpkin, just the pumpkin ... read your labels ;)

When I was giving Daisy canned pumpkin, I gave her 2 or 3 heaping spoonfuls in with her food. It's worth a shot, it certainly can't hurt.
Again I would not feed anything at this time other than the prescribed food. If that does not work and you want to try the pumpkin, go for it. But give the other a chance before giving up on it.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im with Hank here...
Ive had a dozen puppies here over the 9 years...

Many puppies get a case of the 'puddins' when new foods are introduced...restricting her diet for several days to let her digestive system settle down is very reasonable for an otherwise healthy puppy.

Given the variety of food that she does eat and that new treats have entered the picture...in additon to the new envirnment at Petsmart...
Personally, I think it is very reasonable and responsible for the vet to rule out food issues first...
A 5 day restricted diet sounds reasonable to me...besure she is staying hydrated.
Again, if she has otherwise been healthy, 5 days wont hurt her.

I would hop to the vet in a heart beat if you see her
become lethargic...
If her diareaha gets worse..waterlike
If she looses all appetite...
If she starts running a temp

1 - 20 of 32 Posts