Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucca is already 11 months but till now, he still doesn't greet guests coming to my house well. He's just overly hyper and excited when he sees people coming in. It's as if the entire world loves him. I taught him to sit and stay when the postman rings my doorbell. He was able to sit and stay with the front door open and the postman at my door while i'm signing off the parcels. However, ever since I shifted to a house with stairs, he has suddenly forgotten how to do that when the postman rings the doorbell.

With friends coming into my house, he'll jump at them and tries to go around their legs etc. But when I come home, he's very calm when he greets me.

Urgh. How should I train him to behave the same way with me or others?

People whom I've met with goldens kept telling me Lucca is very well-behaved for a puppy and he will outgrow this phase but I think there are other puppies who are extremely calm around people. Is it in their character or trained?

·
Kristy
9,838 Posts
There is a thread out there with the proper term for this issue.... Excessive Greeting Disorder. You might search for it. :)

In the meantime try to keep a leash on him when you have guests. Ask them to have him "sit" and give a treat when or if he obeys. Good luck! It's a tough one.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Dogs tend to be location specific when it comes to training. You'll need to reinforce the training you gave him to sit nicely when people come to the door.

FYI, I say this, yet I have a 5 year old golden who thinks everyone is his best friend and I have to leash him if he's going to be out when people come to visit. Otherwise, he has to wait in the bedroom until they are either gone or ready for a very, very friendly greeting from him. LOL

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with keeping a leash on him when guests come over and have some treats handy to work on your sits/stays at the same time.

He is REALLY CUTE!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fostermom, your 5 yr old sounds alot like my boy! Ok, will give the leash method a try. I hope he gets over this extremely excited and hyper stage soon.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My dogs live Groundhog Day. They may've met you, but if you come back in after being outside it's Groundhog Day.

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
No one mentioned this so I thought I would. Put the leash on him then step on it while greeting guests.

Also when you know pwople will be coming, ask them to ignore your dog until they ve spoken with you and he's calm.

He sure is cute!

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Calm Greetings

(First -- Lucca is adorable!)

I was just reading about calm greetings because Maisie used to be pretty shy, but now is bolder and is more likely to break out of her sit and charge our visitors. So far she isn't jumping up, but I'm concerned that may be next so I'm trying to head it off.

Anyway, the suggestion I read was to pre-arrange with a few friends to visit. Have the friend come. Your pup will attempt a rowdy greeting. Get him to sit, then the friend gives a treat and attention. The friend leaves by your back door and comes back 5 minutes (or 2 minutes) later. It should be less of a big deal to the dog, so he should be less rowdy and you can make a huge fuss over him with treats and praise and attention from you and the friend. The suggestion says to do this with several friends over a week or two and the behavior will go away. I know it's a hassle, and it takes some good, dog-loving friends, but I've tried it a few times and it seems to be helping.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Dogs tend to be location specific when it comes to training. You'll need to reinforce the training you gave him to sit nicely when people come to the door.
I whole-heartedly agree with this. Tucker has a mat, which we call his "spot." During puppy classes, we were taught to teach Tucker to go to his spot when someone comes to the door. This is all from memory, from over a year ago, so if I am missing anything feel free to chime in, guys!

What you need to do is teach him that a certain spot is the good place to be, and he will get rewarded for sitting there until you release him. You can use a towel, a fluffy bed, or just about anything that he can claim his own. Make sure you do this in a room where there are no distractions. Take small treats (we just used bits of kibble) and toss them one by one onto his spot. He will eat them up, and after a few minutes of this he should start sniffing around the spot for more treats, as he gets used to the pattern of going to this area to pick up treats. Keep in mind, this could take a few days so be patient. It could help to keep him on a leash so he stays close by. Once you feel he has got the idea, add a word cue to each toss of the treat. We used "spot;" you can use anything thats simple and easy to remember. Again, toss the kibble one by one while repeating the command with each toss. All he should be doing is sticking his nose to the little area. You dont want to throw in any other commands at this point, you might confuse him! You might want to give him a break, so maybe wait till the next day to continue training. When you think he has had a good time to rest, repeat the command-and-toss. Once you feel he has got the idea of going to his spot, now ask him to sit on his spot, then treat. Repeat as necessary. Again, give him a rest after. Little puppy brains can only hold so much at a time :p. Once you feel you both have a handle at this, have someone come thru the door as a distraction. as soon as the person enters the door or even knocks, tell him his command, such as "go to your spot" or simply "spot." this will take a few tries! Make sure you stand right next to him and reward when he does. Use the leash if you need to. Dont release him until he does what you ask of him. Do this again and again, and remember to treat. He needs to learn that he will only get attention if and when he sits nicely. Make sure the person helping you does not pay attention to your pup until you release him.

Whew. That was a lot of typing. I hope I painted a clear enough picture; its easier to see it in my head since I was taught this way. PM me if you need some clearing up :) We use this to this day, before meals, when guests come over, or just for practice when we bring a new toy for him. One of my favorite commands

1 - 9 of 9 Posts