Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Our Stella Blue is growing so fast. I cannot believe she was once 11 lbs. We have been crate training her since we got her (8 weeks) and she has adapted to it very well. Housebreaking is much better now too. We feed her 3X a day as per vet (until 8 mos, he told us) so I structure her "Play" sessions around the 3 feedings. I really cannot do 4 sessions.

My question - somedays, I want to keep her out of the crate 3 hrs or more (on average, our sessions are 2 - 2.5 hrs long). By 2 1/2 hrs - she's done! She lays down, she gives me a stare and leads me to her crate. I try to ignore her but its just too hard to do. I know puppys need sleep - but does this sound ok?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Liza is 14 weeks and in between playing in the garden with her sister about five times a day and the occasional zoomies attack, she sleeps. So yes, sounds normal to me!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I only wish I had that problem. We got Tayla at 4 months and she has only voluntarily gone into her crate to rest 2 times in 4 months. She has no off switch. She will never rest so we enforce rest periods. They are actually more for me than her because she just doesn't occupy herself much and I have to play and keep her occupied. So ever couple hours at night or on the weekends she goes in for at least a 30 minute rest.

Reactions: Tappster98

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Kenzie is only 12 weeks old, but anytime she voluntarily goes to her crate to sleep I encourage it!!!

Reactions: Tappster98

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Liza does not always sleep in her crate, by the way. We still have a room blocked off from the rest of the house for her where I can work, too, so she often just sleeps on the floor, near me.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Puppies do sleep a lot. When Aspen was younger, she was such a little nightmare of a pup, that her naps were the only peace I had. I loved that she needed so many of them, lol. Stella sure is a cutie pie!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So....2 1/2 hrs in a stretch is OK for a 6 month old?? Her stamina is normal for a pup her age?

And Stella doesn't play long by herself too. She will only lay down in the kitchen, the room that has her crate. The den, which is where her toy box and bed is - she cannot lay down and relax. Unfortunately, thats the room we relax in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts