Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Is this normal dog/puppy play?

525 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  LibertyME 
#1 ·
We picked up our new puppy last week. He is adorable! We named him Sam. He is 8 weeks old and he and Cash, our 14 month old golden have become fast friends. Cash is 77 lb and Sam is already 17! However, I supervise all play as it gets a bit rambunctious. I have never owned two dogs and I know when dogs play the are very mouthy. Cash and Sam will mouth each other nonstop. Sam is pretty feisty for a little thing and will growl, bark and nip Cash right back. IT is quite funny. I think it is normal dog behaviour but didn't realize a small pup would be so willing to play so rough with the big boy! The size thing concerns me as I don't Cash to accidentally fall on Sam and hurt him!

Please give me guidance and tips for all of you multi-golden owners out there who have brought young pups home with adult dogs in the house!

#7 ·
We picked up our new puppy last week. He is adorable! We named him Sam. He is 8 weeks old and he and Cash, our 14 month old golden have become fast friends. Cash is 77 lb and Sam is already 17! However, I supervise all play as it gets a bit rambunctious. I have never owned two dogs and I know when dogs play the are very mouthy. Cash and Sam will mouth each other nonstop. Sam is pretty feisty for a little thing and will growl, bark and nip Cash right back. IT is quite funny. I think it is normal dog behaviour but didn't realize a small pup would be so willing to play so rough with the big boy! The size thing concerns me as I don't Cash to accidentally fall on Sam and hurt him!

Please give me guidance and tips for all of you multi-golden owners out there who have brought young pups home with adult dogs in the house!
I feel strongly that multiple dog households have an advantage in that dogs can play like dogs, which includes growling, biting, and play fighting - all behaviors that we inhibit when interacting with humans. This is why when I have "puppy recess" after my Puppy Kindergarten class, dogs are allowed this kind of play. They need it, and it is appropriate between dogs.

#8 ·
be prepared for the chance that your older dog may 'correct' your puppy. It can be startling and worrisome to watch, but necessary. Im not talking about an unprovoked attack....but if the puppy is being a true pest and the older dog has had enough...let the older dog take care of business. IMHO It is a lesson that will serve the puppy well for his entire life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.