Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone work in mail order pharmacy or any veterinarians ever send in an animal prescription to a mail order pharmacy? Toby has several meds we pick up at a human pharmacy and I'd really prefer to get him on our mail order prescription plan...just wondering if you've ever filled one or submitted one to a human mail order pharmacy.... I emailed ours as well just to ask.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I got most of Morgan's meds that way. Way cheaper and my Vet never had a problem with it. A couple times he matched the price for me.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't the Mail Order Pharmacy through your "human" insurance company? If so, I don't think that is possible unless somehow you have him listed as a dependent! :)
That was my initial opinion; but DH and I were discussing it and he pointed out these mail order pharmacies depend on volume business and that's what got me to thinking about it more. I'm not sure if individuals, without Health insurance through an employer, can join a mail-order program or not either--never really thought about it.

My county participates in a program that is run through a national organization that offers discounts at pharmacies with a card (free). It's sometimes cheaper that way and we used it once for Toby, but mail-order is often much cheaper.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
The places I used were for Humans but did pets as well. Both Walgreens and Walmart let me use my club card on pet Rxs.I would think this would only be a problem if you were trying to get your insurance to pay for your pets meds, which I am sure you're not.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When Brady had his surgery, Target gave me reallt good prices on his prescriptions because he was "uninsured". They apologized because one price was still high at $17! I was pleasantly surprised.

Then I gave some tips to the pharmacist on how to pill his dog.

Edit: Sorry just reread the post - I don't think Target does mail orders.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. We already do the $4 and $10 plan through Walmart for his meds when we can. The mail order pharmacies I'm talking about are human ones like Medco. Employers contract with them for employees to bring insurance costs down. These mail order places basically eliminate the middle man, such as Walmart, Target. They base charges on costs to them, with a mark up. My husband has a cholesterol med that is $80 a month at our pharmacy--through the Medco program it's $20 for a 3 month supply, simply because there is less handling involved in the distribution and there is more volume because Medco has so many members. Mail order pharmacies like this usually send them in 3 month supplies, which is a time saver for me, being I don't like standing in line at a pharmacy every month.. I was hoping to hear they accept people without insurance or pets as well, as long as their owner is already a customer. We obviously won't be filing for our dog under our medical insurance (but wouldn't that be nice if we could!), but I was hoping that as long as it's a human medication these pharmacies might be inclined to fill it.

I'll post if I get a response back from the plan we are on, assuming it's not a off the wall response or a telephone call. If it's not possible I'll just see if Toby's vet will write a 3 month prescription to be filled at the pharmacy...yes...I am lazy when it comes to pharmacy runs!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting to not stand in line. We do enough of that on a daily basis.

I am sitting on three personal checks for the past 6 weeks, because I need to fit in a drive to the appropriate ATM machine to make the deposit, and I have also been researching delivery for my cat and dog food.

·
Missing Whiskey
77 Posts
I had the same thought. I also use Medco for my mail-order medicine. I inquired about filling Rx for my dogs which I would pay, they told me no, bummer.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had the same thought. I also use Medco for my mail-order medicine. I inquired about filling Rx for my dogs which I would pay, they told me no, bummer.
That answers my question, thank you! Oh well, at least both of us thought outside of the box for a bit. I wish they would allow it because the prices are so much better through Medco!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts