Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the original Full House television program, a golden retriever played the family's dog, Comet.

There is a sequel coming this fall called Fuller House. A dog is featured in the 1 minute 15 second trailer below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhInIOKwGXU

I am thinking golden retriever, but if it's a golden, they've trimmed the fur closely enough that gives me just a smidgeon of doubt that it might be a yellow labrador in disguise. The trend towards trimming golden retrievers' fur has made it far more difficult to casually be able to make an identification between a golden and a lab with certainty when one sees a short furred yellow dog that meets the general profile. Even the tail isn't a dead giveaway, at least to me, because I don't know what a golden's tail would look like with the characteristic "feathers" shaved off- probably something like a lab's tail. And, obviously, I can't figure out whether the tail of the dog in the video is soft like a golden's or hard like a lab's through a video. I thought the people here would probably be able to tell the breed just looking at the video, though.

On aside note, I don't know why people would trim a golden retriever's beautiful fur so closely that it resembles a yellow lab. They have a great coat. And if someone is really hung up on short hair, they could always just get a lab in the first place and save themselves periodically having to trim down fur.

·
Premium Member
18,276 Posts
He's a pure bred Golden puppy, only about 6-7 months old would be my guess. So he still has a short puppy coat.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! :)

What are the visual cues you guys are using to make the identification?

I'd like to be able to have stuff to hone in on to tell the difference, as I am kind of known for my love of goldens, but, to be honest, if the obvious stuff isn't there for whatever reason (Goldens having a longer softer coat of fur and feathery tail, labs with a blockier face), I'm never 100% sure. I usually can guess right, and actually am remarkable good at telling male and female goldens apart from each other, but I guess I haven't seen or spent enough time yellow labs to be clear on the visual differences between a yellow lab and golden with it's puppy fur or an adult golden with it's fur trimmed closely.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
It's a Golden. A nice one.
Lab ears are very different, for one thing, and their tails are thicker..their faces are different too, especially at that age (I'm guessing 5-6 months).

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
For one thing, the coat is fuzzier than a Lab coat would be at that age.

Reactions: Golden999

·
Quinsy's & Dakota's Mamma
439 Posts
Definitely an adorable golden retriever. My Quinsy looks just like that at 6 months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Oh dear, now I'll have to watch the show. This is how they up their ratings - a golden retriever puppy. I heard that Full House was coming back, minus the Olsen twins. My son used to love to watch the old Full House series when it was on back in the 1990s. (Funny story: his cousin who is five years older babysat him once years ago. I asked what they had done and the cousin said had they watched endless episodes of Full House. He said "Can't get enough of those Olsen Twins!!", being a little sarcastic. He was a teenager at the time and I think he had definitely had enough of those Olsen twins!) It was a cute show. But to answer the OPs question - definitely a Golden pup and a very pretty one.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Saw previews for this it is a golden. The Full House series had a golden retriever named Comet. When I saw the puppy thought is was cool to have the same breed being used.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I saw this, too. Golden for sure, and so cute! Something struck me, though--did you think the bark sounded like a grown dog compared to the size of the pup? Funny how you get to know them! ☺

Reactions: Golden999
1 - 16 of 16 Posts