Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I'm planning on feeding Nana vegan food, but is there such a thing? Given that dogs aren't obligate carnivores like cats, is it possible for there to be a wonderful kibble with enough protein and nutrition for dogs and still be vegan? I saw this V-dogfood — Welcome the other day from one of my favorite artists- a vegan herself, and an avid dog lover who fosters and saves many pitbulls (bless her, she is one of my favorite people). It really got me thinking.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I'm sorry, but dog do best on meat. I think there are vegan dog foods, but protein from some meat source is what dogs do best on. While you certainly don't need to feed raw, dogs digestive systems are such that veggies are not processed the same way as people and they are better able to eat meat.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I remember being in a class with a Newfie that was allergic to chicken, beef and every kind of meat they had in dog food back then. He was on a vegetarian diet because of it. I remember his "high value treats" were potatoes. His fur was awful. It was not the long, thick Newfie coat. He was smaller than he should have been, and did not have muscle tone, very lean. Looked more like a black lab. His owner attributed it all to the diet he was on.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I would only feed it if medically indicated.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Ran into a couple walking a pair of Goldens...they stopped and quizzed me about coat care and grooming of my Goldens....their dogs coats were a dull, patchy, fuzzy mess - cared for but just awful looking...
Then the conversation went to food ....they asked what I fed...I said Purina....as they recoiled in horror...they bragged that their 2 year old Goldens had never eaten meat/fish/eggs....they were vegetarian.

I took that as my cue to 'move along'....if they had not put two and two together in a couple years of dog ownership....I surely wasnt going to be the stranger to convince them that their dogs needed animal protein. ;-)

Reactions: cubbysan

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I'm not planning on feeding Nana vegan, don't worry. She and I both get our healthy amounts of meat. I believe that there are a lot of bad vegan foods moreso than kibble with meat, since it's such a hard thing to get right- I was just wondering if there was such thing as one that was good for dogs.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts