Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I'm new here and I'm new at having a dog though I'm doing my best with reading everything about retrievers. I got golden retriever Nebula (originally in my language it's 弄kas :giggle:) just 4 days ago. He is 2 months old and looks really scared/agressive/passive all the time 馃槙 All his body language says either "I'm afraid" either "leave me alone". He bites a lot (not in affectionate manner), humps a lot (that one's really weird, I guess it's all about the stress :unsure:). He doesn't want to play with me, he doesn't wag his tail (only very slow when he's walking, but usually it's all the time down), he doesn't open his mouth (unles while biting) and he doesn't even whine. His appetite is great, he sleeps a lot and the rest of the time he is very passive and looks very sad though physically healthy. I try to encourage him with every good thing he does (like pooping in the right place, answering by his name, grabing a toy etc.) but there's not much changing after these 4 days (except that he came to sleep to my bed last night). Vet said that he looks like a healthy puppy though I didn't mention his emotional state. I understand that he is very stressed and my guess is that maybe he was traumatised by his breeders, but PLEASE HELP!!! Does anybody had similar problem? How did you helped your puppy? Please share your advices and your comments with me so I would make my puppy happy. I want to give all my love to him and show attention to him, but it's obvious that he doesn't want any... So I'm trying to give him space and stroke him from time to time, try to play from time to time...
That's him in his most usual modes:

Registered
He DOES look sad/depressed/sedate. When did he see the vet? Was a fecal done? Are his gums bright pink or pale?Was he dewormed? What about @ the breeder's- was he dewormed? Will he play if you sit on floor and try to get him worked up, like, take a toy and bounce it on the floor and try to engage him?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He DOES look sad/depressed/sedate. When did he see the vet? Was a fecal done? Are his gums bright pink or pale?Was he dewormed? What about @ the breeder's- was he dewormed? Will he play if you sit on floor and try to get him worked up, like, take a toy and bounce it on the floor and try to engage him?
We've visited vet 2 days ago. Nebula was dewormed and got all the necessary vaccines, still waiting for the rabbies one after two weeks. His gums are bright pink, fecal looks good. I really have to do my best while trying to engage him with a toy. He grabs a toy and then gets on his back showing his belly or grabs a toy, leaves it and jumps on me to bite me. I try to avoid it by giving him a toy or saying "stop" and then "sit" and giving him a treat when he sits. Sometimes he just lay and doesn't look interested...

Registered
Well it doesn't sound like a health issue, then....I'm sure the vet would have caught anything since it was only 2days ago.
There are TONS of online classes free right now, I posted a couple earlier this week (but I cannot get the search engine to work for me- if I put in online classes -just did- I get something from 2009, and nothing I want to find but it appears others can get it to work and worst case, go to the puppy sub forum and maybe you'll find the thread). Start doing things like that with him... make a relationship, get him engaged...

Premium Member
Was he like this when you first brought him home, or have you noticed a change since he received his vaccines? (You may want to ask your breeder what his personality was like when she had him). Sometimes vaccines can make your puppy lethargic and cranky for a few days afterwards, especially if he got a lot of them (I usually don't vaccinate my puppies for anything other than parvo and distemper until they're a bit older, and I try to separate vaccines as much as possible). There's something called "vaccinosis," which you may want to research as a possible explanation.

If he's reacting to his vaccines, you may see some slow improvement. If so, I'd hold off on the Rabies shot as long as is allowable by law. For future vaccines I'd ask the vet what your options are to reduce or spread out his shots, and do some research to make sure you are only giving your puppy "core" vaccinations that he really needs. I know what I'd push for here in the States, but you may have different risks in your country.

This is the schedule recommended by Jean Dodds (a well-known expert in the US), but again, this may be what is appropriate in the States and your own needs might vary: 2016 Dodds Vaccination Protocol for Dogs

Registered
He does look out of sorts, I'd be hugging, holding and interacting with him as much as I could. Just me and any puppy. lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Prism Goldens Thanks for advice! I will look for online classes.

@pawsnpaca He was vaccined on March 18th, so can reaction be that long? The worse was on the first day I brought him home - he couldn't stop biting and humping almost everything - my legs, arms, family members, soft furniture - seemed like mentally ill behaviour, but now he seems a bit better...

@Ivyacres I thought I will do that, but then I read that dogs don't like hugging and being hold (I don't mean tained and grown up dogs). I read that stroking dog's head might cause even more biting so I started to stroke only his back and it actually worked! So atleast I can touch him without being bitten. I read that dog's licking when being hold means stress - he was licking me when I was holding him, so now I don't take him into my arms.

I hope it's just a phase and it will pass soon.

Registered
My opinion:
1. Jumps on you and trying to bite=play. Great, IMO, this gives you a chance to work with bite inhibition. I let my dogs play with me like this and if the play bite (really mouthing) is more than I like the dog gets an "Aah-Aah".
2. You got him at two mos. old? What is his history? Who was he with?
3. I think vaccinations could have this effect.
4. In your pics I see a sleeping puppy and what looks like maybe a sad puppy, not sure.
5. If he is fearful, let me recommend HELP FOR YOUR FEARFUL DOG as a good resource book.
I had an English Springer Spaniel that was a kennel dog for the first 6 mos. of his life. I needed to do a lot of work with him at a time when I didn't know so much but I didn't give up. He did come around.
Good luck.

Super Moderator
@Prism Goldens Thanks for advice! I will look for online classes.

@pawsnpaca He was vaccined on March 18th, so can reaction be that long? The worse was on the first day I brought him home - he couldn't stop biting and humping almost everything - my legs, arms, family members, soft furniture - seemed like mentally ill behaviour, but now he seems a bit better...

@Ivyacres I thought I will do that, but then I read that dogs don't like hugging and being hold (I don't mean tained and grown up dogs). I read that stroking dog's head might cause even more biting so I started to stroke only his back and it actually worked! So atleast I can touch him without being bitten. I read that dog's licking when being hold means stress - he was licking me when I was holding him, so now I don't take him into my arms.

I hope it's just a phase and it will pass soon.
Every one has given great advice. Sometimes vaccines do indeed cause depression in temperament too.

I agree that you should start building a relationship with him. Biting and humping is all pretty normal for a puppy, but depression/sedentary behavior/lack of excitement, etc, is a bit unusual. I would start some training. But in a very fun and engaging way. Maybe start with a clicker or your voice and begin to pair a treat to the click or your "yes" word. Training is a very good way to build a puppy/human bond. Also engage in toys, either balls or little tug toys. Your ultimate goal is to get him to see you as a source of fun and play.

Finally, it is true that some dogs do not like to be hugged, but they do thrive on communication and contact. It does not always mean that licking means stress, so I wouldn't necessarily stop holding him just because of that. It can take a little while for puppies to really bond. Just give time and lots of patience :)

Premium Member
Yes, although main-stream vets don't always acknowledge vaccine reactions that don't happen immediately, more holistic vets attribute reactions that happen up to months after the vaccine to possible vaccinosis (again, there's lots of info on this topic online).

The puppy licking his own lips could indicate stress. Trying to lick your face is pretty normal and could mean a lot of things, depending on context: It's how puppies sometimes solicit attention from their dams, can be indicative of excitement or submission, etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@gdgli Now he is 2 months and 15 days old. He lives with me for 4 days now. He was separated from his mother last weekend and sold to this young couple. Then this girl got huge allergy from the puppy (or maybe she was lying, I don't know...) and they sold it to me after two days. That's all I know...
Thanks for book recomendation. I will read it!

@pawsnpaca Yeah, he licks his own lips and yawns a lot.

Premium Member
You've only had him a few days. He has had major changes in the last week, not once but twice. He just needs time to get used to you and his new home. Give him time, it's really too much to expect him to be well adjusted and happy after being bounced from home to home in just a week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts