Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a good way to hold the dog;s head while bathing to prevent water from going inside the ear upon bathing?
I use cotton balls, but those tend to get wet.. Is there a good position for this?

I know this is kind of a dumb question. I guess I could have played around with it.
Do you typically put a drying agent inside the ears when your finished?

My guys ears get very red after a bath, we had him at the vets office so that was taken care.. I try to dry the ear out when finished..
He is reacting to the cleaning agent, and tresaderm, which made his ears more excoriated.. So I need to be very careful now about what I am doing..

Thank you for the feedback

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I haven't tried it with Milly, but in high school (I went to a boarding school) I bathed a teacher's black lab a lot, and always worried about water getting in her ears. I used a set of horse earplugs (they are larger than cottonballs, and easier to put in/remove), because I'm always paranoid about things getting down an ear and me not being able to get it out. http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-10488&bhcd2=1250861127 these are what they look like - they're a little bigger than a golf ball, but squishy like a pom pom you would use in arts and crafts. You can actually make your own with yarn (I am happy to provide instructions if interested).

I have also heard of using cotton balls soaked in Listerine. This makes sense to me, because alcohol dries out water, so any water that would get in would be absorbed because of the alcohol in the Listerine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use cotton balls in his ears and have a long corded showerhead and just try my best not to get water in his ears and dry them as soon after.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts