Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I have just returned from seeing a puppy we're very interested in buying, but I know nothing about buying a puppy from a breeder.

The puppy is 4 months old and his bite is wrong so thats why he's going to be a pet. His parents are Nautilus Valentino & Nautilus Eleanor Rigby, I am unsure how to check everything out about him, so wondered if anyone could help me, and also advise me how much this kind of pup should cost me?

Thanks​

·
est.1989
4,374 Posts
what is wrong with his/her bite? is it undershot? overshot? wry? I wouldn't be overly concerned about this in a pet puppy, there may be more wear on the teeth due to this fact. Otherwise its a cosmetic fault and he/she should not be used in a breeding program. Did you see documentation of clearances on mom & dad? You can do a search of K9data and OFA on the parents. I am unsure what puppies sell for in Argentina, so I cannot help you in that matter.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Well, I'm not a breeder and I don't know how much of an issue a poor bite would be, but I can say that both his parents are gorgeous. Actually, the photos of all of the dogs on the breeder's web site are beautiful. My Rookie has a lot of Nautilus in his background so I'm a bit partial to that look. (In fact, the puppy you mention would actually be related to my dog through Vanilla Ice).

Here's are links to the parents' k9data pages:
Valentino
Ellie

Neither of them are listed in the OFA database though. It looks like the breeder is in Brazil? They may have some other way of certifying things like hips, elbows, heart, eyes, etc. I don't see any mention of health certification on the web site. Do you know for sure that the only health problem is the bite?

One other note, I took a look at the web site and I would be a bit concerned that they had five litters between mid June and the end of July. That's a lot of puppies all at once! And the breeder has 14 males and 21 females! That would make me very cautious about getting all the information I could about the health of the parents.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy who is in charge of the breeding programme is travelling, so i wasn't able to get much information with regards to the health clearences, adn I couldn't find any on K9 data either.

I was surprised by how many puppies they had when we arrived. I counted 30+, but only 2 were available to us.

There were Goldens everywhere, but they were beautiful and happy and clean, and I don't know enough about breeding to know if this is right or wrong. They also had around 10 members of staff that I saw.

I met Valentino and Ellie, the parents and they were absolute sweethearts!

·
16,000 Posts
I am less concerned about undershot than I am overshot, unless either is so pronounced as to be apparent when the dogs' mouth is shut. I've seen under correct as late as 8 months, and over by 6. If the issue is caused by an injury, and either the top or bottom jaw no longer grows, then there can be issues with being able to eat.
If the bite is only slightly off at this age, it likely will not prevent the dog from being a healthy, happy pet. I would caution against any sort of added stress while the dog is growing, though, such as tug games or chewing very tough or hard objects that involve tearing action.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Personally if this was me I would contact Julie who is the breeder of these lines. She is in Mass., and you should be able to find her web site very easilly too. To me it looks like she either sold him both this bitch and dog or on a co-own. Julie is a good judge of character and ethics. Personally I don't think Julie would just allow anyone to breed her dogs or purchase her dogs on a whim. I would believe her to have really looked these folks over well.

Plus Golden Sunshine are big in their country in the breed circle and other activities.

Remember, some breeders have large breeding programs. It's not the type of breeding I would prefer to do or want to do. Besides not having the money behind me to support this path. To me it looks like they would have many folks working for them both out showing and at the home fort.

I would not say they are a puppy mill to what one sees on tv. It looks like their dogs are well cared for and have lots of attention in many ways.

Make sure your vet looks this puppy over very well. If your vet feel there is a big concern you can always take this pup back. You can always put in writing the bite issue or a clause in the contract. Make it clear, ask your vet for guidence too.

Just my thoughts on the subject or personally my taste. But I wouldn't rule them out for some.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally if this was me I would contact Julie who is the breeder of these lines. She is in Mass., and you should be able to find her web site very easilly too. To me it looks like she either sold him both this bitch and dog or on a co-own. Julie is a good judge of character and ethics. Personally I don't think Julie would just allow anyone to breed her dogs or purchase her dogs on a whim. I would believe her to have really looked these folks over well.

Plus Golden Sunshine are big in their country in the breed circle and other activities.

Remember, some breeders have large breeding programs. It's not the type of breeding I would prefer to do or want to do. Besides not having the money behind me to support this path. To me it looks like they would have many folks working for them both out showing and at the home fort.

I would not say they are a puppy mill to what one sees on tv. It looks like their dogs are well cared for and have lots of attention in many ways.

Make sure your vet looks this puppy over very well. If your vet feel there is a big concern you can always take this pup back. You can always put in writing the bite issue or a clause in the contract. Make it clear, ask your vet for guidence too.

Just my thoughts on the subject or personally my taste. But I wouldn't rule them out for some.
Thanks for you post, it's a good idea, I will drop a note to Julie and ask her.

Thanks again!

·
Steelers and Pens Fanatic
744 Posts
My Lucy had an underbite when I got her and now her bite is right on. :)

·
Banned
13 Posts
Is the puppy nice otherwise? Not a flincher or terribly submissive or hyper? With breeders and many litters I would be more worried about soicalization of a puppy than the teeth. The puppy could be missing a tooth or something that is only important if breeding.

So determine if the puppy has a "normal" socialization. I've seen puppies with little socialization that are not always responsive and very submissve. See if the puppy will follow you around the yard, whether loud noises scare it to death, whether it pees when it comes up to you....stuff like that. Has it been raised outside or inside?Otherwise, a 4-month old golden that IF house-trained is wonderful for those that don't like all the puppy messes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts