Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone -

Luckily on Thursdays Noah (my craaazy 10.5 month old puppy) goes to doggy daycare. I think my daughter and probably my neighbors thought I was having a complete nervous breakdown this morning. As we were pulling out he was jumping around, putting my car in neutral, etc., etc. and I started banging my head on the steering wheel saying "why, why, why, why (maybe 40 times)". Anyhow, now he's tuckered out and my sanity is temporarily saved.

But I wanted to ask a very specific question. My other dog Samantha is from "show" lines. She has a lot of champions in her pedigree. My husband previously had a "field" golden and thought that was the way to go (I met his golden when she was already about 14, but she was wonderful). So, Noah is from field lines - the litter was sort of advertised as great hunting companions or just family dogs.

Is this the difference I am possibly noting between Noah and my other goldens (at this age)? Noah also has some aspects of dominance aggression, but I don't want to judge him on that too early. It's also possible that Noah is the same as my previous goldens, I just have forgotten how difficult they are at this age! I recall in the book "Marley and Me" the author at some point discovered that labrador retrievers come from two distinct lines with one being much more difficult (which I can't recall!). In any case, Noah seems quite intelligent and ruled by insinct, so I would tend to think that the field goldens might be a little bit more "difficult" to have in a domestic situation. I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

thanks,
Melissa

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I wouldn't say more difficult, but I'd say they have more drive, which translate to very intelligent, needs activity, and can become bored quickly!

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
I think you can find problems in either field or show lines. The behavior is not specific to either type. It is more a result of who the parents are. I also have had (and still do have) dogs from both field and show lines. I love them both equally. They are all Goldens at heart.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
part of it is the age of your pup...most are just plain nut cases...

I agree with Vern -what you are seeing can be found in both 'lines'......

The good news is dogs like this have things in the world they want...which can make them easier (in some ways) to train.... he wants to go out then dont charge the door-he wants to eat then sit before eating-he wants to be petted then laydown-he wants to play then walk nicely.... .... He is really learning how to use his body in this phase of development - try to encourage him to use what is in his mushy skull...

If possible - kennel him in the car.
If a kennel wont fit in your car.. - there are car harnesses available - much cheaper and much less paperwork then completing an accident report and filing a claim through your insurance company. Last thing any one wants is you or anyone else hurt in a car accident...

Hang tough!
Mary

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is a great idea about the car harness. My daughter is in a car seat in the back (and begs me to keep him in the front) so a kennel wouldn't fit. Fortunately/unfortunately a very loud scream worked, but I'm getting such a sore throat - and I'm such a nice person - I hate myself for screaming ...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree with Vern also..
I have 2 field goldens one is a sweet silly boy (Casey)who will sit nicely at my feet the other Lilli is a very high driven girl who has to be doing something all the time and is very quick to learn.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
My Maggie is on the field line and has a very high drive......Abbie who isnt field line has high drive as well......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts