Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my last post was about whether gooddog was a good site, and many people responded by telling me to be cautious about it. I started to use the AKC marketplace, it functions similarly to gooddog. It seems to be very trusted, however, I feel that gooddog seems more professional and organized, whereas the AKC marketplace seems a bit...like a home to backyard breeders? I don't really know. When I clicked on some of the puppies for sale in the AKC marketplace, it seemed to be lacking a lot of info. When I clicked on a breeder in gooddog, they had a lot of detailed information. The price difference between the breeders at gooddog and AKC is noticeably cheaper by a few hundred dollars...the price of the breeders at good dog are usually 2000 USD or more, but the AKC's breeders are a bit under 2000(at least, around where i live).

Should I continue to look into the AKC marketplace?

·
Registered
119 Posts
AKC Marketplace is a free for all, they don't even require breeders to claim they are following the GRCA code of ethics, much less verify those that do. For example, I just pulled up a random litter where the puppies are being sold for $5,000. As you can see from these screenshots, she is listed as an AKC breeder of merit but does not claim that "The applicable health screens have been performed on the sire and dam as recommended by the Parent Club for this breed". And when I pulled up the sire on OFA, he doesn't have an elbow clearance and the breeder claims he has Pennhip, but didn't post it on OFA so it could be verified. Breeder claims the dam has "PennHip, Eyes, Patella, Heart and Final Elbows, Icthyosis, PRA-prcd, GR-PRA2 and GR-PRA2" but there are zero results for her on OFA, and Pennhip doesn't do elbows, nor can I verify what age Pennhip was performed at since she didn't submit the results to OFA to be posted. Interestingly, dam's k9data has OFA links that are broken Pedigree: Goldenquest's California Callie . When i search her by name or registered number on OFA, no results. Seems like she used a different dog's OFA number on Goldenquest's California Callie's k9 data because when I punch in those OFA numbers I get GOLDENQUEST'S RIGHTEOUS SOUL.

Anyway, proves the point that Marketplace ads can be total BS, you always need to verify things yourself. Or if you find a particular breeder you're interested in, ask about them on here. Lots of good detectives on the forum, and very long memories.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,466 Posts
AlexanDog, if you will let members know what State(s) you are looking to find a breeder and puppy, they can provide you with referrals.

There are also several threads with breeder recommendations such as one for the MW.

You can also contact the GR Club in your State for a Breeder/puppy referral.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AlexanDog, if you will let members know what State(s) you are looking to find a breeder and puppy, they can provide you with referrals.

There are also several threads with breeder recommendations such as one for the MW.

You can also contact the GR Club in your State for a Breeder/puppy referral.

I'm looking for a puppy in Wisconsin, where I live, Illinois, Indiana, and a possible exception of Iowa and Indiana.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,466 Posts
I'm looking for a puppy in Wisconsin, where I live, Illinois, Indiana, and a possible exception of Iowa and Indiana.

Here is the thread for MW Breeders, those States are included-

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the thread for MW Breeders, those States are included-

Thank you so much! I will look into the link soon :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Your original explanation for what you are looking for is a bit subjective for me, although I think you were trying to be specific. "...finding reputable breeders producing quality dogs"
I have found that a number of really good breeders specialize in breeding dogs to be used for specific purposes...e.g. Field activities and events, Confirmation events, Obedience events, etc. etc. These breeders usually have good to great lines of Goldens that have the potential to be competitive in their chosen specialties, and parents/grandparents with full health clearances and in many cases longevity. That being said, most of these breeders will not sell their pups to anyone who does not participate in activities for which they were bred. Of course, there may be exceptions...also, they generally are more expensive than the what the typical breeders are charging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.