Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 mo old female humped my leg today. It was while a friend and I were play fighting. Instead of protecting me, she tried to jump on me and even got hold of my leg then started thrusting! She never humps ! Is this an act of dominance?

The only other time she grabbed my leg like that was when I walked away to talk to someone (while she was tied). She had the saddest whine and puppy eyes when I returned then held my leg as if she were going to hump.

Anyone know why? Is it dominance or just anxiety?

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
In my opinion, which is based on personal experience alone, I believe humping can be a sign of dominance depending upon the sistuation. In your case I agree completely with solinvictus's accesment that it was probably a sign of excitement and anxiety.

I ran into a sistuation with Woody where I believe it was dominance. While fishing one day from my boat I ran into my buddy on shore who had his Blue Heeler with him. Both dogs were males and his Heeler seemed to be an alpha male based on past experiences with him and my bridge girl Sammie.

I asked Jon what he thought about letting the two dogs meet and he said there shouldn't be a problem...so I released Woody from the boat and the meet and greet was very fast and the next thing I knew his Heeler was trying to mount Woody and that was all it took...dog fight. We broke it up right away but i'm sure this was a dominance issue. We all learned something that day.

Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts