Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Molly 'graduated' from puppy training about a month ago. She is six months old. During her training and for the last month she's been a darling. I could take her to dog parks and she would come when she was called. She walked peacefully on her leash, used a soft mouth and then suddenly she's been challenging everything. Also,she's become obsessed with her ball AND every other dog's ball. (some dog owners think its cute but not everyone) And she runs in the opposite direction when called, won't be tempted by treats, and repeatedly jumps on the cleanest person in sight. (need I add its been raining for weeks and everywhere we go is a giant mud bath) At home she's fine.

Is it her age? I thought adolescents started at about 8 months? Do I have to stop taking her to dog parks for awhile? Should I be keeping her constantly on a leash? Which would be really unfortunate because some of out best days are spent wandering through the paths in the forest bordering the dog park. Normally, she will run back and forth keeping me in sight, but now I can't be sure she'll come when called. Also, she has been attracting the attention of some male dogs - could she go into heat this early? There has been no signs. (Our vet wants her to go through one heat cycle before spaying. So ... looking forward to that!)

Anyway, is this normal?

As always, any and all help is appreciated!

Molly's mom.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
She is asserting her independence. Puppies are a big pile of work and if you can keep going to more classes will help. Right now if you are not in fenced area, I would not let her off leash. She is very young to be getting reliable off leash. Use a long leash until she learns her recall which will take time. At dog parks I dont think that it can be unexpected that other dogs would go after another dogs ball. Some parks will not allow balls because of that reason.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. Of course, it makes absolute sense but it is always reassuring to hear from someone with more experience. Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not sure if it is normal, but I had exactly same experience as yours.

My puppy is 6 months and 2 weeks now, he used to be a very very sweet boy. But everything changes when he turned into 6 months, at that day, he bit my mother for no reason, and he bit me again the very next day when I fed him by hand. He had and only had those 2 times, showed his agression to people. Ever since that, he went back to the sweet boy again like nothing happened.

I think it is due to their hormone changes, they start to test and chanllege us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts