Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is a hard decision for you and you need to do what you feel you can handle, as that is what will be best for you and Brixley and your new baby.

For rehoming, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is to contact a nearby Golden Retriever club. Their members will definitely be passionate about the breed and may know someone looking for a pup just like Brixley. Golden rescues may be hard to find nowadays so I wanted to put this out as another option. Or even other groups, like agility clubs, are full of people with a lot of networking possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am a new member. I need help to make a difficult decision.
i am currently 5 months pregnant and have a 10 month old golden retriever names Brixley. He is fully house trained. He is a good pup. However, he can get overly excited when we have people over or when we go to my in laws house. He knows different commands such as, sit, lay down, stay, and paw.
He enjoyed going to daycare when we could afford it. However now, we really do not have a financial stability and with a baby coming we absolutely do not.
But now, I’m struggling with allowing myself to give him too much attention since we are expecting. I want to keep my focus and priority on my baby.
I’ve been trying to be consistent on getting Brixley (dog) ready for a baby. (Im due in March) however my husband and I are unable to see eye to eye on training brixley.
I am more stern and my husband is more lenient.
Brixley can also be very mouthy and tries to bite playfully (this is how puppies play with each other) which I am not comfortable with, knowing that we are going to have a newborn in the house soon. I’ve been working on him to stop being so mouthy. He does well with me and behaves with me.
But it’s a different story when it comes to my husband and his parents. His parents allowing him to mouthy, their excuse is that he is still a puppy.Another thing about Brixley is that when he is around people he loses interests on obeying our commands.
We also do not have a fenced backyard. I thought maybe we could make him into a outside dog however I worry that he might escape or get lonely. I feel bad because he is no longer the center of attention and honestly will continue to not be. We have found a home for him and I’m still in between. I don’t know what to do because I picked him out from his litter, I have raised him the best I can. But like I said my husband and I are unable to figure out the best way or agree on how to prepare him for a baby.
He is very hyperactive and needy, which I know we will not have time for when we do have baby.
Any advice?Is rehoming the best idea?
Where are you located? I would love to give him home, my children are grown now and my Golden would love a playmate !

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would 100% recommend rehoming him. I would find a golden retriever rescue to turn him over to so they can find the best possible home for him. My reasoning for this is your financial situation. You can’t afford daycare anymore for him and you want him to be an outside dog but don’t have a fence. So many things can go wrong with an unsupervised dog. He could get hit by a car, he could be attacked by another dog coming into your yard, he could eat something in the yard (sticks, mushrooms). Would you be able to afford an unexpected pricey vet visit?

·
golden lover
72 Posts
Yes. There was a discussion I saw here a few months ago about how and why some newbies coming for advice feel jumped upon and I was reminded of that thread when I read some of the responses here. I do understand that there's well meaning and good intentions behind even the more cutting comments. But I also think that sometimes people are a bit kinder to the dogs than to other posters if that makes sense. The result is that often those in most need of help -- and who came here seeking help -- leave before they get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am currently 5 months pregnant and have a 10 month old golden retriever names Brixley. He is fully house trained. He is a good pup. However, he can get overly excited when we have people over or when we go to my in laws house. He knows different commands such as, sit, lay down, stay, and paw.
He enjoyed going to daycare when we could afford it. However now, we really do not have a financial stability and with a baby coming we absolutely do not.
But now, I’m struggling with allowing myself to give him too much attention since we are expecting. I want to keep my focus and priority on my baby.
I’ve been trying to be consistent on getting Brixley (dog) ready for a baby. (Im due in March) however my husband and I are unable to see eye to eye on training brixley.
Brixley can also be very mouthy and tries to bite playfully (this is how puppies play with each other) which I am not comfortable with, knowing that we are going to have a newborn in the house soon. I’ve been working on him to stop being so mouthy. He does well with me and behaves with me.
But it’s a different story when it comes to my husband and his parents. His parents allowing him to mouthy, their excuse is that he is still a puppy.Another thing about Brixley is that when he is around people he loses interests on obeying our commands.
We also do not have a fenced backyard. I thought maybe we could make him into a outside dog however I worry that he might escape or get lonely. I feel bad because he is no longer the center of attention and honestly will continue to not be. We have found a home for him and I’m still in between. I don’t know what to do because I picked him out from his litter, I have raised him the best I can. But like I said my husband and I are unable to figure out the best way or agree on how to prepare him for a baby.
He is very hyperactive and needy, which I know we will not have time for when we do have baby.

·
Kate
22,844 Posts
Well, OP may be long gone but maybe thread should be here for somebody to see and read before they get a puppy.

I don't think we any of us know what the situation with the OP truly is. Certain words that were said - I think most of us absolutely 100% amensure do not want a golden to be in a home where it's just an animal to the owner. So rehoming the dog to me is the correct move to make.

Just sharing a positive for those of us who NEED more positive in our lives....

Took my mom to a doctor's appointment which took 2+ hours. My guys were out in the car this whole time so I slipped out to check on them a couple times. The second time it was while my mom was being fitted for a knee brace. The chick who did xrays and fitted my mom for the brace - when she heard I was checking on the dogs, she whipped her cell phone out and shared pictures of the beagle pup that she and her family got. 6 months old. She herself had been terrified of dogs, but got a puppy because her kids (10+ years old) begged her for a dog. She waited until they were older because her statement was she was NOT going outside to clean up after a dog or anything like that. And she went into this with a grimace because she really did not want to get a dog. Fast forward and she said it was the joy her kids have and the laughter when she brings them home to this dog. And she said that while she got the dog for her kids.... it is her dog. She's the one that has all the pictures on her cell phone and it's become one of her babies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where are you located? I will temperament and cognitive test the dog and if he is a service dog candidate I will pay you his cost to you and his vaccine and neuter costs.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,499 Posts
This thread is being Closed, the OP has not returned to the Forum since starting the Thread and the member's username has been changed to a # and their Status to "Guest" by Site Admin.

If anyone wants to contact the OP you can via a PM (Conversation), not sure the member can access their account due to the Status change.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.