Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I do not think people that are planning on starting a family should buy a puppy without making a 2 year (minimum) commitment to not becoming pregnant during that time. A Golden is a commitment that you already made. That being said, you could rehome him. You could also double down on training and have yourself, and your husband both attend separate training classes several times a week with your dog. You could by March have a well mannered 14 month old. He should not be still mouthing people, that is a training issue. He will be playful and high energy for at least the next 4 years. Is he crate trained? For bonding time with the baby he could be crated. You can also put the baby in a stroller and take him out for walks. I know that becoming a first time parent seems overwhelming, but many families manage a young dog and a new baby. It's a question of level of commitment to the dog. If you don't want to make that commitment rehome him now. Contact a good, reputable Golden Retriever Rescue and surrender him to them with all of his records. I don't recommend giving him to a friend. He needs some training and a rescue would help with that and the transition, not to mention vetting the new owner.

On the flip side I brought my second son home from the hospital to find out my parents had bought my 4 year old son an Irish Setter puppy while I was in the hospital. It was tough! I wanted to kill them. I had a newborn, a 4 year old, an older Golden Retriever and a brand new puppy. My parents had no idea what they had done. It took commitment from my husband and I to make it work. It wasn't easy, but we did it. My son loved that dog. It was his best friend growing up, by his side for every adventure he dreamt up from daylight until dark. That dog was the first one to ride in his truck with him on his 16th Birthday. The dog lived to be 16 years old and many of our family stories revolve around his poor behavior and the trouble he got in. He is woven into the fabric that is our family.

I've never tried to take attention away from anything but myself in preparation for a new life event. I'm one of those people that makes themselves come last. If you don't want to do this surrender him now, but do it responsibly. I agree with @SRW that dogs can live outdoors, but they still require daily exercise, training, and care. To me it takes more effort on your behalf to raise a well mannered outdoor or kennel dog. I can't keep my dogs in a kennel, and that is just my personality.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Developing a relationship with a puppy happens through care and training. Those of us that train and compete with our dogs can all attest to that. I was a pet home for a very long time. I am not underestimating the bond a pet home has with their dog, but even that bond is built over time with commitment to care and adapting the dog into the family.

At this point there is nothing to be added to this thread. You either commit to training and building a bond with the dog, or you rehome it. Either way you need to make a decision sooner rather then later. I understand you feel guilt, and think that you have a bond with the dog, what I am saying is that you don't have the kind of bond you would have if you were actively training the dog. If you surrender please contact a GOLDEN RETRIEVER RESCUE. They can properly place the dog in a home that will give it the care it needs. There is no way that a 10 month old with a mouthing issue is suitable for a family looking for a service dog. If the family offering to take him as a service dog doesn't already know that they are not prepared to deal with him anymore then you are.

Best of luck. You came here for advice and you have gotten good advice. The two options are commit to serious training today, or rehome using a Golden Retriever Rescue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.