Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bailey is now 13 weeks (had her since 7). I am beginning to lose my patience with the house training and am looking for encouragement. We are using a crate, she does fine when in the crate. When out of her crate we usually take her out every 1/2 hour to 40 min. Praise, treats, and we've started having her knock a bell as well.
Despite all our efforts she is consistently having evening accidents, usually after having just gone 20 min. earlier. A friend swears he's never had a puppy take longer than a week to become house trained.

What's the story here?
When will she be able to hold it for extended periods of time?
When will she understand that the house is her "den"?
It's very stressful to have her out of the crate in the evenings...every little movement, change in direction etc, we wonder if she's just going to squat away.
Are we making a mistake by taking her out so often? Does this just go on for the next 3 months and it magically stops?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
At that age, some pups haven't developed as much bladder control as others. I've had pups who could hold it for hours by 10 weeks and pups who were still having control issues at 16. It could just be a little developmental delay down there.

The other possibility, particularly with female puppies, is a urinary tract infection. At this point, I'd take her to the vet and have her checked out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, she already had a UTI and that was much different than this, so I don't think that's the issue. When diagnosed with the UTI she had several accidents all within a couple hours.
This larger issue seems to be control and understanding.

So, just keep hanging in there? I'm starting to get beat down by not relaxing in the evenings...like I said every movement she makes we second guess ourselves, so we're constantly jumping up in anticipation.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I think every pup is different. Sounds like she needs to stay out a little longer and "finish" maybe. I know my Scout gets distracted and will go but stop part way through sometimes...because he wants to play or chase a leaf or see what Noah is doing and is ready again in about 10 minutes. So I try and make him stay in the yard longer and this is working...make them empty the tank when possible.

If it continues I would have her checked just to make sure she does not have a UTI.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
some puppies just take longer...patience...

Becuase she is a female, Im with Brian...a quick trip to rule out a UTI would be a great idea...then you will know if it is health realted or maturtation....
You will feel bad if you are loosing your nut if she is ill...and you will be able to be look forward to drier days if it is just a matter of bladder control...

There are some puppies that housebreak easily...IMHO...they are the minority...their owners will pay their dues when the get puppy number 2! LOLOLOL

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Well, she already had a UTI and that was much different than this, so I don't think that's the issue. When diagnosed with the UTI she had several accidents all within a couple hours.
This larger issue seems to be control and understanding.

So, just keep hanging in there? I'm starting to get beat down by not relaxing in the evenings...like I said every movement she makes we second guess ourselves, so we're constantly jumping up in anticipation.
It does seem that if a puppy has had a UTI...that their housebreaking takes a bit longer...their urinary tract needs time to heal....

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
...I agree with others above, and don't let anyone tell you their puppy was housetrained in a week, I'd make a bet they weren't and still had accidents periodically. Puppies don't have bladder control that young, and 13 weeks is still very much a baby who probably needs to grow and develop muscle and bladder control.

Keep her out in the yard longer to finish pottying in the evening, and then take her back out sooner, you've identified a pattern so you are one step ahead of catching her before the accident.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My only advice is hang in there. :) Michaela took a long time to housebreak. There was a point when we were taking her out every 20 minutes (good advice I got on here). It will come and you'll be glad that your patience paid off. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does seem that if a puppy has had a UTI...that their housebreaking takes a bit longer...their urinary tract needs time to heal....
She had a UTI and was on meds approx. 2 weeks ago. While I understand the UTI issue, I don't want to run in for a $50 vet bill (office visit+test) multiple times due to accidents.

We'll continue to work with her. It just gets discouraging when you hear from others: "Oh, she's still not house trained?" "Oh, my puppy only took 2 weeks to learn." Etc, etc.

You start to get the impression that we're doing something wrong. :doh:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
She had a UTI and was on meds approx. 2 weeks ago. While I understand the UTI issue, I don't want to run in for a $50 vet bill (office visit+test) multiple times due to accidents.

We'll continue to work with her. It just gets discouraging when you hear from others: "Oh, she's still not house trained?" "Oh, my puppy only took 2 weeks to learn." Etc, etc.

Relax. Your pup is fine. Flora struggled with UTIs when she was a baby and took quite a long time before she was completely reliable. I mean... I'm pretty sure she was still having the occasional pee accident when she was 4 months. But she's not retarded or anything. She just had a medical issue that required time for her to recover from.

She is perfect now. NEVER pees in the house, and can hold it up to 7 hours in one stretch. I know it's annoying having to constantly clean up pee everywhere, but if you're doing everything else right, eventually she'll get there. It's frustrating (especially when people brag about how quickly their pups are trained, but believe me, I'm sure their pups have other problems that yours don't), but it will soon pass. :)

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
You sound like you are near the end of your rope.
People have already made the same suggests that I would have made.

It's not only the physical but the mental development that has to occur. You have been working on this since you got your pup. But at 7 weeks old the puppy brain is not ready to comprehend that it is not acceptable to pee/poop just anywhere. Even so, it is important to begin to reward the desired behavior from the beginning.

Continue to reward the good behavior... if possible restrict the pup to surfaces that are easy to clean... continue to be vigilant taking the pup out often certainly after every nap and every meal... and don't assume that one squat will take care of everything. But you know all of this.

At 13 weeks old the puppy's brain should be about ready to grasp the concept. When he does it just may be as though someone flipped a switch.

Keeping our paws crossed for your imminent success.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not at the end of my rope, just a bit discouraged. Even though there are still accidents it's not like she hasn't made progress. I think it's the stories of fast training that are getting to me...I need to remember that it's a fairly long process.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,992 Posts
Not at the end of the rope, well that's good.

IMHO Raising a puppy can be a 2 year process. Be prepared for occasional brain lapse moments in the puppy's future. That's normal and usually the lapse will last for only a day or two.

If you just need support and encouragement... here is a pat on the back for you. And some assurance that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts

You're probably not doing it wrong. Don't terrify the puppy when you catch her, but make sure you always catch her and that you make enough noise that she stops midstream (she needs to have enough still in there for a successful pee outside right after the accident).

The UTI she had may have confused her or set her back. Stick with it, make sure that there are no successful accidents, and don't use punishment when you catch her.

You never drag her back to old accidents that you missed or handle her roughly when you catch her, do you? Those are common mistakes that simply confuse the puppy. It doesn't sound like you're making them, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'm not at the end of my rope, just a bit discouraged. Even though there are still accidents it's not like she hasn't made progress. I think it's the stories of fast training that are getting to me...I need to remember that it's a fairly long process.
Fast housebreakers are nice, but they're not the only kind of normal pup.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
... A friend swears he's never had a puppy take longer than a week to become house trained.
If he's talking about a young puppy, don't believe it, he's either lying or delusional. Young puppies aren't physical or mentally capable of being housetrained. HE was housetrained...to take the puppy out often enough as to not have a chance to go indoors or kept it crated.

Some puppies may just take longer than others. 13 weeks is still young, as long as it isn't a physical problem, she'll get it. The UTI she had may have caused a set back.

With Hank, it WAS like someone flipped a switch. It seemed like I was forever cleaning up pee then all of a sudden I wasn't. He was around your Bailey's age. Hang in there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for feedback. On a positive note, we just found out her vwd test came back negative! We're thrilled. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am struggling with the same. I'm far from the end of my rope but am wondering if I should be doing anything more than taking her outside. We spent all morning outside working in the yard, came in for lunch, went back out for 30 minutes because I never saw her go this morn. Came back in and she immediately peed on the rug!! Help!

·
Arthur's Peep
189 Posts
Arthur is now 20 weeks and maybe at last fully house trained. That is, I can't remember when the last accident occurred: maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I do remember that he had a couple of accidents indoors (on a tarp in his kennel area, thank goodness) right after going in a strange place, e.g. outside or at puppy class, indoors. (He started with pee pads on the balcony indoors until 16 weeks, and now goes there as well as outside.) I think it was all part of him learning context—the kinds of places you can and can't go. I think he's reliable inside the house now and don't watch him every minute any more. I'm also better at picking up the signals of needing to go. It all just takes time!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts