Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Stink Bug Battle has begun, as the pesky critters are invading here as in many places in Maryland and Virginia. I have read that neem oil kills the pesky bugs and also that neem is safe for dogs, provided they aren't pregnant.

Does anyone have any knowledge about neem toxicity to dogs? I have read about its uses in shampoos and as a topical deterrent for fleas and ticks, so I'm hoping that we're on the right track.

While we need to kill the infernal bugs, a major concern is safety for my three Goldens, including Sunny at 15 weeks old and Charlie, currently fighting seizures at 12 years old.

Thanks much,
Lucy

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
i checked the extension notes and they say to use neem for fleas and shampoo. so if you can use it on dogs then i guess it's not a problem for dogs. it is an oil, a botanical pesticide that is derived from a plant. so i think it would be okay for the dogs.
good luck, i can feel the invasion coming.
beth

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
If I see one more stink bug today I am going to scream!!!!! I had one in the car buzzing around on my way home from the store ... I really had trouble keeping my eyes on the road and not that dumb bug. My son spent his morning on Friday caulking the spaces around all my window screens so I can open the windows when it cools off this week...and I can't squish them so I vac them up when they get in the house but at the end of the day have to toss the vac bag so it won't stink. Sorry about the the rant...I need to look into the neem oil. Where do you buy it?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neem oil at Lowe's

We found neem at Lowe's. It is supposed to be effective for two weeks. Where we have sprayed the diluted version - I think it's 2 tablespoons to a gallon of water - the stink bugs have left or died. We're still washing down the deck surfaces and keeping the dogs away from those areas while we do more research, but I think this is going to be a winner.

Other products that are supposed to do 'em in are Dawn dish washing liquid and/or insecticidal soap.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stink bugs gone - neem oil does the trick!

Where we sprayed the neem oil solution yesterday, we have no stink bugs today! The north wall that was alive with the infernal critters is just a wall this evening. Hurray!!!! :party2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts