Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My female 14 week old Golden Retriever is BIG. When we brought her home at 7 weeks (breeder was leaving on vacation so we took her home a week early) she weighed 12 pounds and ever since then she has been growing like a weed.

She currently weighs 28 pounds and her body is so long and lanky.

Her parents were average sized retrievers 65 and 70 pounds. I am wondering if maybe she is just growing fast and will plateau off or if she will continue to grow to be massive?

When we take her to puppy classes she is twice as big as the other goldens close to her age. She is more around the size of the 5 month old pups. I knew I was getting a large breed dog- but I feel like I never got to have a cuddly little golden puppy!

I love my puppy so much- but just curious if anyone had a similar experience or if I have a world record breaker on my hands?

Ive attached some pictures for reference (keep in mind I am only 5'2 but still... she's big!)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I'm no expert but Rukie just turned 15 weeks and he weighs around 27-28 pounds. I'm not sure he's quite as long but close. We all think he is going to be a big boy. I guess you expect a girl to be a little smaller but I don't know if that's true of puppies.

Reactions: asnikolas

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
65 lbs is at the upper end for a female so maybe she's just going to take after her mama. As long as she's not overweight, I wouldn't worry. They grow so fast and then eventually, around 6 months or so for mine, they start to taper off.

·
Super Moderator
3,131 Posts
My boy was almost 15 pounds at almost 8 weeks. At 12 weeks, he was 24 pounds and at 17 weeks, he was 36.8 pounds. Now at 2 years, he's 68 pounds and about 24" at the withers.

For reference, here he is the night we brought him home and the same day 2 years later. I'm 5'2" as well. ETA: when he's on his hind legs, he's just about my height lol

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
When we had Thor weighed at 15 weeks, he was at 32lbs...fast forward to 24 weeks this week and he's a big ol' 57lbs! I remember the first day I saw him from the breeders and thought 'I don't remember puppies being this big!!'

·
Kristy
10,348 Posts
If you're following the directions on the bag, chances are good you're actually over feeding her. She is old enough to be fed twice a day. Use a measuring cup to be very certain you know exactly what she's getting. Make note of this on the calendar and track her weight. Do not forget to take training treats into account, any treats at all will add up faster than you realize. I would really dial back her food just a bit to have her eating slightly less than the recommended amount. Most vets will let you pop in for weight checks with no problem. I would do this weekly. The best thing you can do to keep her happy and healthy and give her a long life is to keep her fit and lean. Most of us are accustomed to seeing both people and pets a little over proper weight for so long that we've forgotten what lean truly looks like. She is hitting an age where she should start looking a bit gangly and awkward to you. Discuss keeping her lean with your vet, it is the absolute best way to avoid joint problems. This is especially important if she is going to be a bigger Golden. By slowing down her growth a bit with slightly reduced calories, it won't hurt her, she will still achieve her genetically determined size but it will happen a bit more slowly. Slow growth is best for large breed puppies.

Here is an article that you might find interesting: Add Years To Your Dog's Life | Prevention

https://www.proplan.com/dogs/dog-care/purinas-landmark-life-span-study-in-dogs

·
Waggy Tails
111 Posts
People have commented on how big my puppies are going to get and they are always end up at the lower end of breed standard. And if they start looking a little heavy, I cut the snacks and a little food and make sure they get more exercise. Fat dogs are at a serious risk for health problems.

I am not sure why a vet would make this comment because it almost encourages an owner to have an overweight dog. Lots of people like to brag that their dog weighs 100 pounds. I'm sorry, but that is almost always an obese golden. A neighbor of mine had a golden puppy that everyone told her would be BIG because he had big paws. Well, his daddy (who is the same as my dog's daddy--Harborview Under Construction-Detour) just happens to pass on big feet to his kids! The neighbor's dog must be 80-85 pounds and it's so sad because he should really be around 65pds at the most. The dog will reach whatever weight you let them. Don't buy into anyone's opinion that your dog will be big. Do the rib check often and see if he needs to lose or gain weight. That should be your only guide. You should be able to easily feel your dog's ribs (not have to dig into his side to find them). Leaner really is better, even in a pup. And a slow growth rate is good for puppies.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
You're puppy is adorable. I would just make sure you are feeding him a quality large breed puppy food. Regular puppy food can cause too rapid growth that can lead to joint problems in the future. Good luck. He is beautiful!
Actually puppy versions typically are higher in protein, higher in calories. So if you wanted to slow grow it would not be a best choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.