Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my Puppy Graham, I've had him since 8 weeks and he is 13 weeks old today. Last week he had a vet appointment and he weighed a little under 20 pounds. I asked the vet and they said his weight was alright.

I've been feeding him Purina Pro Plan for large breed puppies. Two cups a day split into 3 meals. The amount he should be getting according to his age and grown weight.

I feel that he is decently underweight. He does play alot with my older dog, so I thought he might be getting too much activity, so I've been stopping any play that is too rough. I can still feel all his ribs and hip and shoulder bones.

What do you guys think, am I overreacting?

·
Registered
883 Posts
He looks a bit thin, I just went through this with our new pup.

Has you pup been checked recently by your vet for parasites in his gut? Has he had any diarrhea? If you are sure he's without parasites and has not had diarrhea, I would increase his food by a cup or so. Those suggested amounts on the bag are just a guideline...increase his food and if after 4 weeks he doesn't look better, increase it again...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He looks a bit thin, I just went through this with our new pup.

Has you pup been checked recently by your vet for parasites in his gut? Has he had any diarrhea? If you are sure he's without parasites and has not had diarrhea, I would increase his food by a cup or so. Those suggested amounts on the bag are just a guideline...increase his food and if after 4 weeks he doesn't look better, increase it again...
He has been checked and his stools are looking fine. I'll take your advice and increase his food, thank you. I was worried about him growing too fast and getting hip issues, but he definitely seems underweight to me too.

·
Super Moderator
1,541 Posts
I'm going to err on the side of saying he looks fine. It won't hurt to up his food but I also don't think he's particularly thin. He might be quite lanky right now and his pelvis is prominent, but he has good muscle coverage for his age, no ribs showing, and no scapular spine visible. 820 cups isn't a little bit, but if he's particularly active, I would try to keep up with his activity :)

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
I'd add a 1/2 cup any time you think your pup is getting a little thing - and take it down to 2 cups when he looks like he's getting fat.

When they are growing rapidly, there's a lot of back and forth with the weight and doesn't hurt to add a 1/2 cup when you can see that dent in the side a little too easy... or feel the spine a little too easy.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Looks a little thin to me. I would increase at least a half cup per day. Be ready to increase even more as he continues to grow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone. I do think he is a little bit on the skinny side. His fur has gotten really thick so it can be hard to tell, but I can feel his backbone and ribs quite easily. I'll start adding an extra half cup of food everyday and hopefully that will fill him out just a little bit more. 🙂

·
Super Moderator
905 Posts
Mine was 10# at 10 weeks and gained on average 2 lbs per week for the first several weeks.
Mine would have been the same weight as yours

1 - 8 of 8 Posts