Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am completely new to this forum so I apologize if Im posting in the wrong area! I have a male golden retriever, he is 11 months old and is turning 1 year old next month (April 13). He is my first ever golden, which i’ve wanted since I was a little girl (when I was 4). I got him for my birthday In June 2019, and he came from a breeder in Pennsylvania. The last time i’ve weighed him he was somewhere between 65-70 lbs. My concern is his height, he looks very very small. Maybe he still has a lot to grow, but even the trainer that we went to said he has a very young face. I know people have said that their goldens become fully mature by 2 years or even 3, but how much more could be possibly grow height wise? Supposedly goldens reach 2/3 of their size by 6 months old, but he’s generally stayed the same size since then. I haven’t noticed rapid growth in him at all since he was around 3 months.

·
Kate
20,872 Posts
Take a tape measure and measure from the ground to his withers (no wrapping around the top of your dog). If your dog is 23-24, his height is correct for the breed.

Will he keep growing taller? Probably not more than a 1/2-1" if that.

Does he have a puppy face? Yes - and that's normal. He won't be fully mature until he's closer to age 3.

·
Super Moderator
411 Posts
Hello & welcome! I shifted your thread so you'll hopefully get more replies here. He is such a cutie.

Height wise, he probably will not grow much taller as goldens usually reach their full heights around 1.

He is probably well within breed standard, like Megora suggested measure his height from the withers, I attached a picture for you to show you where the withers are. Lots of people are used to seeing oversized goldens, some are very tall & leggy others can be quite long in body.

And lastly enjoy the young face he has because time really flies!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello & welcome! I shifted your thread so you'll hopefully get more replies here. He is such a cutie.

Height wise, he probably will not grow much taller as goldens usually reach their full heights around 1.

He is probably well within breed standard, like Megora suggested measure his height from the withers, I attached a picture for you to show you where the withers are. Lots of people are used to seeing oversized goldens, some are very tall & leggy others can be quite long in body.

And lastly enjoy the young face he has because time really flies!
View attachment 871226
Thank you so much for your reply! And thank you for shifting my thread, I just made an account for this forum yesterday. He is around 23-24 inches tall, I guess that surprised me because his parents were the long legged and lean body type. The attached photos are of his mom and dad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take a tape measure and measure from the ground to his withers (no wrapping around the top of your dog). If your dog is 23-24, his height is correct for the breed.

Will he keep growing taller? Probably not more than a 1/2-1" if that.

Does he have a puppy face? Yes - and that's normal. He won't be fully mature until he's closer to age 3.
Thank you for your reply! Everyone seems super nice on this forum. I measured him and he is between 23-24 inches tall, that surprised me a little because I thought he would definitely be under average.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I look at your picture, your dogs legs and feet look like the dog still needs to grow into them. So I think he still has some ways to go....a good looking Golden he is....enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am completely new to this forum so I apologize if Im posting in the wrong area! I have a male golden retriever, he is 11 months old and is turning 1 year old next month (April 13). He is my first ever golden, which i’ve wanted since I was a little girl (when I was 4). I got him for my birthday In June 2019, and he came from a breeder in Pennsylvania. The last time i’ve weighed him he was somewhere between 65-70 lbs. My concern is his height, he looks very very small. Maybe he still has a lot to grow, but even the trainer that we went to said he has a very young face. I know people have said that their goldens become fully mature by 2 years or even 3, but how much more could be possibly grow height wise? Supposedly goldens reach 2/3 of their size by 6 months old, but he’s generally stayed the same size since then. I haven’t noticed rapid growth in him at all since he was around 3 months. View attachment 871222 View attachment 871223 View attachment 871224
Im new too so I am not much help. Just learning myself. I just wanted to say, he is BEAUTIFUL

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Is he neutered or intact? Early neutering affects how long the bones grow--they grow longer. So, if he is intact he may be shorter but it is better for ligaments and joints. Lots of vets still push for an early neuter leading to taller dogs.

From Pet Md
"Having your dog spayed or neutered early will not stunt your puppy’s growth, but it might affect the joints of large breed dogs. Studies show that early spay/neuter does affect the growth plate, delaying its closure and causing dogs to grow taller than they should have. This can predispose the dog to later joint problems.

This is an excellent topic to discuss with your veterinarian. For small or medium sized dogs, the standard recommendation is still to spay/neuter the dogs between 6-8 months of age. For large breed dogs, however, the recommendation is to hold off until the dog is older to lower the risk of joint disease. For females, spaying should wait until after the first heat cycle, and for males, neutering can be scheduled when the dog is around two years old.

Ask your dog’s doctor for her or his recommendations on when to spay or neuter your dog, and ask them for their reasons behind their recommendations."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is he neutered or intact? Early neutering affects how long the bones grow--they grow longer. So, if he is intact he may be shorter but it is better for ligaments and joints. Lots of vets still push for an early neuter leading to taller dogs.

From Pet Md
"Having your dog spayed or neutered early will not stunt your puppy’s growth, but it might affect the joints of large breed dogs. Studies show that early spay/neuter does affect the growth plate, delaying its closure and causing dogs to grow taller than they should have. This can predispose the dog to later joint problems.

This is an excellent topic to discuss with your veterinarian. For small or medium sized dogs, the standard recommendation is still to spay/neuter the dogs between 6-8 months of age. For large breed dogs, however, the recommendation is to hold off until the dog is older to lower the risk of joint disease. For females, spaying should wait until after the first heat cycle, and for males, neutering can be scheduled when the dog is around two years old.

Ask your dog’s doctor for her or his recommendations on when to spay or neuter your dog, and ask them for their reasons behind their recommendations."
He is not neutered, but i’m planning on neutering once the corona virus has died down a bit.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,639 Posts
Yep in standard and he's only 11 months old. His growth plates won't close until 12-15 months usually. But at this point, his growth will be very slow.Add 5-8 pounds and 1/2' or so and that's probably going to be where he'll end up.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
He is not neutered, but i’m planning on neutering once the corona virus has died down a bit.
You might consider waiting until he is at least 18-24 months old or not doing it at all. There are studies showing delaying or leaving intact may reduce the chances of some cancers that are more common in Goldens in addition to helping growth.
He is a handsome guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am completely new to this forum so I apologize if Im posting in the wrong area! I have a male golden retriever, he is 11 months old and is turning 1 year old next month (April 13). He is my first ever golden, which i’ve wanted since I was a little girl (when I was 4). I got him for my birthday In June 2019, and he came from a breeder in Pennsylvania. The last time i’ve weighed him he was somewhere between 65-70 lbs. My concern is his height, he looks very very small. Maybe he still has a lot to grow, but even the trainer that we went to said he has a very young face. I know people have said that their goldens become fully mature by 2 years or even 3, but how much more could be possibly grow height wise? Supposedly goldens reach 2/3 of their size by 6 months old, but he’s generally stayed the same size since then. I haven’t noticed rapid growth in him at all since he was around 3 months. View attachment 871222 View attachment 871223 View attachment 871224
He’s very handsome! Enjoy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts