Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, just had a question I was hoping someone could answer about my sweet golden, Abby. She is a little over a year old now (born January 12th, 2018) and she is 21 inches tall and weighs 45 pounds consistently. She is a purebred from Platte River Retrievers and is registered, but I see all these posts of goldens that are so much bigger than my girl, and I can't help but wonder if I should be concerned about her petite size. Even the vet says she is a little girl but is probably done growing. Has anyone had experience with their goldens still growing after a year of age? Is she a late bloomer? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Here is the breed standard from GRCA
Size, Proportion, Substance — Males 23-24 inches in height at withers; females 21 1/2-22 1/2 inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify.

Length from breastbone to point of buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; bitches 55-65 pounds.

So she is just a little small but I think she could continue to fill out and gain some weight. I don't know if she will get any taller though. She's a very pretty girl. My Tawny was a little small and I liked that.

·
Kristy
9,302 Posts
If your vet is happy with her condition, don't worry a bit. She is better off for life if you keep her at a leaner weight. Take a couple photos of her standing up from the side and looking down on her waist line, you could even wet her coat down a bit. Send them to the breeder and ask if he is happy with her weight and condition. I bet you he will say that she is what he expected her to be and most likely is similar to her mother and other female relatives.

Keep her lean, she was bred to be an athlete and it's better for her joints.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,528 Posts
She will likely continue to grow, though be it slowly for the next twelve months or so. She'll likely end up very close to that 21 1/2 inch height and weigh in somewhere between 50 and 55 pounds.

My old now departed Kate, was the same size as Abby at that age. She ended up being 21 1/2 tall and 55 pounds at age three. Goldens are not fully mature at twelve months of age, the still have some growth and development left to finish.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
She may still grow a bit, and will definitely bulk out. My last Golden was a female, and she became heavier in her second year, ending up at about 21.5 inches and about 56 lbs. My current dog is a male. He was 22 inches and 46 lbs at a year old, and now, at 3 years old, is 23.5 inches and 54 lbs. Both dogs were (are) lean but not thin; they are agility dogs and in working condition, so they don't carry much extra weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your input! I think this has put my mind at ease and will help adjust my expectations. She's my first golden, and I've been learning a lot about how great this breed is. Definitely a keeper for my family!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
My girl was not her full height at 12 months either. But at 5.5 years, she is a half inch shorter than your girl and 45 pounds. Some are just more petite than others. I personally love that my girl is small.

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
Hello! I have a 17 months old girl named Layla. She’s a petite pup ( that is what the vet told me) But weights 66lbs. To me she still looks like a puppy! Her vet told me she should lose 6 lbs...?
If she is 66 pounds, she is actually one pound OVER the standard weight for females. Many people I think, are used to seeing these HUGE (poorly bred) golden, when in actuality they aren't meant to be big dogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My vet says the same thing about Shelley. She's 21.5in and 53lb, he says she's the smallest golden his ever seen, but I think that's because there are a lot of badly breed dogs around here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would you be able to find out who her parents were? I'm looking for a smaller than average fieldbred golden and have been looking at the breeder, Platte River, that you used. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Would you be able to find out who her parents were? I'm looking for a smaller than average fieldbred golden and have been looking at the breeder, Platte River, that you used. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
If you want a small dog, why don't you look into OTHER breeds? There are a variety of breeds with good temperaments, trainability, etc.... who are not large breed dogs like golden retrievers.

And keep in mind if somebody is breeding dogs that are disqualifying per the breed standard for the breed, what else are they doing wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a small dog, why don't you look into OTHER breeds? There are a variety of breeds with good temperaments, trainability, etc.... who are not large breed dogs like golden retrievers.

And keep in mind if somebody is breeding dogs that are disqualifying per the breed standard for the breed, what else are they doing wrong?
Because even runts need homes. They appear to be a very reputable breeder for fieldbred goldens, which would be smaller than average show dog golden.

·
Kate
21,060 Posts
Because even runts need homes. They appear to be a very reputable breeder for fieldbred goldens, which would be smaller than average show dog golden.
How can a breeder be reputable if they are breeding dogs who are not breed standard?

Golden retrievers are one of a few where the breed standard has heights and weights written down. And height is a DQ in this breed.

It is one thing for a breeder to deliberately breed dogs who lack qualities which you look for in a show dog. <= That's fine.

It's another thing for a breeder to deliberately breed dogs who are deliberately over or under.... and 30-40 pounds over or under.

A purebred golden retriever is a dog where the males can be expected to be about 23-24" and the shoulders, and weigh around 65-75 pounds.

IF you want a male dog who is more like 40-50 pounds and is about 20" or less at the shoulders? You should be looking at smaller breeds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How can a breeder be reputable if they are breeding dogs who are not breed standard?

Golden retrievers are one of a few where the breed standard has heights and weights written down. And height is a DQ in this breed.

It is one thing for a breeder to deliberately breed dogs who lack qualities which you look for in a show dog. <= That's fine.

It's another thing for a breeder to deliberately breed dogs who are deliberately over or under.... and 30-40 pounds over or under.

A purebred golden retriever is a dog where the males can be expected to be about 23-24" and the shoulders, and weigh around 65-75 pounds.

IF you want a male dog who is more like 40-50 pounds and is about 20" or less at the shoulders? You should be looking at smaller breeds.
They do not appear to deliberately be breeding dogs smaller than the standard, they appear to breed field trial champions. From what I can read, their dogs have taken home hundreds of championships. If I happen to want something on the smaller side of the spectrum to fit a little better in a duck boat, then it would help to know the sire and dam to at least have a chance at getting that. I grew up with a 52 lb golden that was an excellent hunting dog. Rather not have something in the 75+ lb category if I can help it, but big boys need love too.

·
Super Moderator
3,856 Posts

Hold on!
There is nothing wrong with a Golden that is at the smaller end of the spectrum. In fact when I contact a breeder I let them know that I prefer just that! For the record in the past I had considered looking into Platte River Goldens for a pup, I thought that they had good stuff.
As for Goldens being a large breed---yes they are but there is a range of weights. I have seen some pretty large Goldens in the show ring whose height and weight should be suspect. And the only time I have seen a wicket is at a CCA event, not at a conformation event. Could be events I attended or could be the judges don't want to check.
Schultz---I am in your camp. Smaller dog with correct and proper coat for hunting out of a duck boat. And the build and athleticism to hunt upland fields/woods for miles, quartering and retrieving for three hunters.
As for smaller breeds---I LOVE Springer Spaniels, their quartering is very impressive but the retrieving part pales in comparison to a field bred Golden.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hold on!
There is nothing wrong with a Golden that is at the smaller end of the spectrum. In fact when I contact a breeder I let them know that I prefer just that! For the record in the past I had considered looking into Platte River Goldens for a pup, I thought that they had good stuff.
As for Goldens being a large breed---yes they are but there is a range of weights. I have seen some pretty large Goldens in the show ring whose height and weight should be suspect. And the only time I have seen a wicket is at a CCA event, not at a conformation event. Could be events I attended or could be the judges don't want to check.
Schultz---I am in your camp. Smaller dog with correct and proper coat for hunting out of a duck boat. And the build and athleticism to hunt upland fields/woods for miles, quartering and retrieving for three hunters.
As for smaller breeds---I LOVE Springer Spaniels, their quartering is very impressive but the retrieving part pales in comparison to a field bred Golden.
Thank you gdgli. Happy Memorial Day.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts