Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cocasse is about 14 months old (not 100% sure as I adopted him two months ago) and my first golden. I think he looks very long with a small head. What do you think? He was skinny when I first brought him home and he's gained a good 10 pounds or so since. Do you think he still has some growing or filling out to do?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
He looks lean to me, but he's definitely not blocky. Goldens don't finish filling out until they are around 2 years old, but he is probably already as tall as he is going to get. Is he neutered? Dogs who are neutered before they are physically mature tend to look lankier and narrower than dogs who aren't neutered until they are older. Once he gets a little older, his ribs will spring and he may broaden out a bit. His weight looks perfectly fine. It's much better to keep them lean.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Too long for what? For conformation competition? Probably. But who cares? He's neutered anyway, right?

For life? For handsomeness? For health? Absolutely not.

He does look like a leggy, narrow dog, but he's probably nice and fast, and being lean helps a dog to live longer and to experience fewer age-related diseases.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I think Cocasse is beautiful regardless!!!! My Lincoln is much longer than my other two boys...but again, I think he's beautiful and perfect to me!!!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Cocasse is a handsome boy. Like the above posters said he will continue to fill out some until he is about 2.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He was neutered about 2 months ago when I adopted him.

I guess I should have explained myself better in my orignial post. I was wondering if he was too long for his age in that perhaps his previous owners let him get too big too fast?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think he looks great, in fact, I think he's absolutely gorgeous!

·
16,000 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Pointgold - thank you for those two excellent links. They are very informative and I have saved them for future reference.

Cocasse, my poor-bred Golden boy Mommy loves you to bits! Even though you would never be allowed in any show ring you will always be #1 in mine.

I am more concerned now about his possibly developing HD. I am going to open up a separate bank account to be used only for this possibility in the future, though hoping that this does not come to pass.

PS: Thank you for the compliments on my beloved boy.

·
16,000 Posts
Pointgold - thank you for those two excellent links. They are very informative and I have saved them for future reference.

Cocasse, my poor-bred Golden boy Mommy loves you to bits! Even though you would never be allowed in any show ring you will always be #1 in mine.

I am more concerned now about his possibly developing HD. I am going to open up a separate bank account to be used only for this possibility in the future, though hoping that this does not come to pass.

PS: Thank you for the compliments on my beloved boy.
Also understand that males neutered before 18-24 months of age do not mature with the masculine appearance that they would have if altered later.

Your boy has a sweet face and is a very lucky fellow to have found a loving home with you.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
He's a handsome boy and he may not meet the standard for conformation but I bet he would make a great agility dog. Whatever he photographs well and that is important.

·
16,000 Posts
He's a handsome boy and he may not meet the standard for conformation but I bet he would make a great agility dog. Whatever he photographs well and that is important.
he is handsome, and looks very sweet. I will say, though, that I'd be very concerned about a long-backed, straight stifled dog doing agility. He'd be at increased risk for injury.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I hadn't thought of that but then again I know Dachshunds that run agility. Maybe just for fun?

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
he is handsome, and looks very sweet. I will say, though, that I'd be very concerned about a long-backed, straight stifled dog doing agility. He'd be at increased risk for injury.
Hmm...I hadn't thought of it before. Sam had what the Dr's described as a neuro condition that caused a delay from brain to hind quarters...could that have been caused by his overly long back? He was sway backed....
...the condition didn't appear 'til he was 10.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the compliments.

I wouldn't know the first thing about agility rings either. I'm afraid the only rings my dog and I will ever see will be the ones he leaves behind in the bathtub. :)

I only really wanted a companion dog and Cocasse fits the bill exactly.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
He's a lovely boy. He doesn't seem long to me as much as tall but then Jamie is a short golden. Cocasse is lean which is supposed to be good for avoiding hip problems.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He is a beauty, he also reminds me of my Bobby, they could be twins. I will PM you.
June, thank you for the PM. I tried to respond but I got a message that you are not accepting PMs?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts