Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Charlie is almost 8 months and his chest is fluffy but the rest of his body isn’t super fluffy like other Golden’s I’ve seen. His mom and dad both have beautiful long coats. The back of Charlie’s coat is kinda shiny and slick, definitely not like his chest. Both are soft but the chest is definitely better. When do Golden’s really start the fluff? I love it! Super annoying to vacuum but oh well! I don’t care. I attached the best pics I could. Is it normal? I’ve seen other Golden’s his age more fluffy!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just like humans mature at different rates due to genetics that control hormones, so do dogs. Charlie is normal for Charlie. Golden retrievers are adolescents for two full years. Adult coat may not be full until age 3. For now you can insure a good diet, provide exercise and grooming, and avoid “summer cuts” which are not needed. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I noticed the most coat growth after Denver was closer to one year old. That is when his furnishings really started to come in and his coat got thicker and longer. It is still growing in at 16 months but does still look a but funky/puppy-ish at times.

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
BrianO is spot on... genetics. He looks pretty good to me and see the beginnings of a lovely coat. I have one girl that is a wooly mammoth coat. The current pup is 18 months and just beginning to see coat growth. Over abundant coat is beautiful but a lot to deal with. It's also has a courser texture. In comparison the pups coat is extremely soft and appears it's going to stay that way. They are all individuals and will develop to their specific genetic makeup. Sort of brings the element of surprise!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Looks like a normal puppy coat to me. Everything will grow in eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts